PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

Who is “they traded him,” the Patriots or the Bucs? it’s both. His point (or my point, as I hit like on his post) is that folks were up in arms about the 5th round compensation last year, yet that’s what the Bucs got (a bit less since he’s older) this year. Folks were wrong about this last year, it’s clear the Patriots got market value for him just like the Bucs did. We’ll see how long it takes for those posters to admit they were wrong.
I was OK with the trade itself, and with the reason for making it... I only wish it had happened a year earlier to help us keep Thuney.

Also, they replaced Mason with Onwenu, who was a better player.

Neither Mason or Onwenu were ever going to play LG.
Agree, on both counts.

We have so much money now that in retrospect, keeping Thuney mightve been a good idea.
Sure would've been... So too would've been drafting Trey Smith ahead of the Queefs, and not trading even a 7th-rounder to the same ****ing team for Yassir c'mon in Durant. (Packers skipping Creed Humphrey for Josh ****ing Myers didn't help either.)

Not all the OL spots are interchangeable. I've long realized that what we did with Strange at the LG spot has absolutely nothing to do with the swap of Onwenu and Mason.
Yep; Left Guard is not at all the same as Right Guard, and so too is Left Tackle vs Right Tackle... The job requirements & the physical profiles needed to fulfill those requirements are different. Some dudes can play more than one position at a league-average starter level; most cannot.

Just saw that the Chargers have given Austin Ekeler permission to seek a trade.

He's the archetype 3rd down back that we've loved. Plus a guy you wouldn't mind taking snaps on run downs and lower the load on Rham. As with most RB's he's going to be in 6MM range and probably at least a 4th round pick. We have 11 picks (too many) and 4 fourths. Lets do this. BOB would LOVE a guy like him. He's 28 and small so a 2-3 contract would be appropo.

I lost out on one of my 2 top LB wish list when Long and Orrecki got signed, so I need the universe to give my top RB addition. In fact my ONLY RB addition now that Kamara looks like he's going back to the Saints

It’s been 24 hours since the start of the legal tampering period. You never hear about external free agents signing with the Pats prior to the legal tampering period being over. I’m sure Goodell would have a field day if our contract details got out before players could legally sign them. It’s also well-known that the Patriots request confidentiality from the players they speak to until the contract is signed.

There has been complete radio silence in the media about Orlando Brown, James Bradberry and Sean Murphy-Bunting. Pats have plenty of cap space. I’m starting to wonder….

You're not merely wondering; you're tripping, dude.

Just saw that the Chargers have given Austin Ekeler permission to seek a trade.

He's the archetype 3rd down back that we've loved. Plus a guy you wouldn't mind taking snaps on run downs and lower the load on Rham. As with most RB's he's going to be in 6MM range and probably at least a 4th round pick. We have 11 picks (too many) and 4 fourths. Lets do this. BOB would LOVE a guy like him. He's 28 and small so a 2-3 contract would be appropo.

I lost out on one of my 2 top LB wish list when Long and Orrecki got signed, so I need the universe to give my top RB addition. In fact my ONLY RB addition now that Kamara looks like he's going back to the Saints
I love Ekeler too, but he is not going to be willing to accept a contract offer befitting a third down back. He very likely wants to make significantly more than his current 6.25m salary. He’s not going to supplant ‘Mondre on first or second down. He probably sees himself as a Kamara/McCaffrey level player and wants to be paid in that neighborhood.

I love Ekeler too, but he is not going to be willing to accept a contract offer befitting a third down back. He very likely wants to make significantly more than his current 6.25m salary. He’s not going to supplant ‘Mondre on first or second down. He probably sees himself as a Kamara/McCaffrey level player and wants to be paid in that neighborhood.
Unfortunately what you write makes too much sense. I guess I'm going to be disappointed AGAIN. ah me.

They got him for a third. I wonder how this will stack up to the trade values for potential Patriots pass catchers like Hopkins, Jeudy and Cooks. I could see Hopkins having similar value.
Isn't Waller supposed to be this all world TE receiver in the prime of his career, so a low 3 looks to be cheap and if the deal comes to pass it would lower the market for Hopkins, Jeudy and Cooks IMHO

You're not merely wondering; you're tripping, dude.
What’s going on?!

Happy He Man GIF

They got him for a third. I wonder how this will stack up to the trade values for potential Patriots pass catchers like Hopkins, Jeudy and Cooks. I could see Hopkins having similar value.
Seems like WR always commands a higher price tag... both in trade comp and salary negotiations.

So Deandre Hopkins

Hopkins has only had one year where he missed more than one game due to injury in his career. Waller has only played a full season twice in his career and missed half the season in each of the last two years. Not remotely the same.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back