PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2022 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

If he makes another Superbowl I think it enhances it further even if he loses. That would be 3 Superbowl trips in 4 years and he still would have another 10 plus years to keep adding to it.

That is the LOGICAL thing yes. But sports are emotionally based, and getting to the Super Bowl and losing is damaging. It was used against Brady for literally 10 years. So Mahomes starting his career in a 1-2 hole in the Super Bowl is tough to dig out of. He’d just be an also ran.

He's so good that Brady still owns him come playoff time.

Can we please stop falling for the Manning/Brees/Rodgers trap?
Nobody is saying we think he can surpass Brady. That ship has almost certainly sailed. I'm just saying what it would take to even build a Lebron vs. MJ argument, and the point is even that is a big stretch of accomplishment that isn't likely. So we are saying the same thing here

Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady has won 35 postseason games in his career, one of the many postseason records Brady owns. But he doesn’t just have more playoff wins than any quarterback. He has more playoff wins than almost any franchise.

If the Buccaneers beat the Cowboys on Sunday, Brady will have 36 playoff wins, as many as any team other than the Patriots.

The Patriots are first in NFL history with 37 postseason wins — 30 of them with Brady at quarterback. The Packers and Steelers are tied for second at 36 postseason wins. The Cowboys are third with 35.

Tom Brady is one playoff win from having as many as any franchise, other than the Patriots - ProFootballTalk

Nobody is saying we think he can surpass Brady. That ship has almost certainly sailed. I'm just saying what it would take to even build a Lebron vs. MJ argument, and the point is even that is a big stretch of accomplishment that isn't likely. So we are saying the same thing here

Elway went to 6.
Kelly went to 4.

My point is that people shouldn't be letting someone getting to SBs early (or at any time, really) start them down the "OMG! One of the top 5 all time!" path just because of that accomplishment.

The thing with LeBron is he has surpassed Michael statistically, both in the regular season and in the postseason. For any QB whether that be Mahomes or anybody else to pass Brady is a monumental task given how far ahead Brady is from everyone. I mean Rodgers has had a really prolific career for many many years and even he is way behind Brady and starting to show much more decline in his late 30s then Brady has to date at age 45.

Getting the bye this year actually hurts Mahomes both from the statistical standpoint and wins.That is one less game to compile stats and of course, one less win as well on his playoff résumé.

It’s not at all sensical, especially when you know what kind of rosters he was playing with, but Lebron will always have an asterisk to his career due to his losing record in the Finals.

Meanwhile Jordan benefited from having 1 and a half years away from the strains of pro basketball due to his “hiatus” while Pippin developed into a full superstar and they brought in Rodman as well. The presumption that he’d have won 8 in a row if he never stepped away has always been dumb.

I give him 1 or more 2 SBs. The AFC is going to be a tough division for years to come. Burrows and Allen will cook block Mahomes from winning SBs just as Brady did to Manning and Roethlisberger.
Mahomes already has three very tough losses in the postseason. The two losses to Brady and the meltdown last year. Probably a little doubt has crept into his head.

The adjustment to the postseason setup could really work in Buffalo's favor. They sure looked like they were getting smoked in Cincinnati which would have given KC home field. Now with that potential matchup at a neutral site I'm favoring Buffalo. In fact I think the tougher matchup for Buffalo will be hosting Cincinnati.

Mahomes already has three very tough losses in the postseason. The two losses to Brady and the meltdown last year. Probably a little doubt has crept into his head.

The adjustment to the postseason setup could really work in Buffalo's favor. They sure looked like they were getting smoked in Cincinnati which would have given KC home field. Now with that potential matchup at a neutral site I'm favoring Buffalo. In fact I think the tougher matchup for Buffalo will be hosting Cincinnati.

KC has lost three straight to Cincy…they may be able to avoid them in the playoffs.

Chargers need to upset KC next week and end this right away.
the Williams injury sucks. Chiefs got lucky as usual with the Bills/Bengals game getting cancelled. If the Bills had won, Chiefs have to go through the Bengals and Bills

I don't know if I agree he's a gunslinger...his INT rate is low, and at most, he makes as many mistakes as an avg QB despite all the TD passes. I think the comparison has more to do with the hero complex they both develop in the biggest games. The biggest choke jobs I've ever seen are Favre's 2009 INT against New Orleans (cross field throw going the other direction to blow up the Vikings season and prevent them from making SB) and Mahomes last year (3-4 consecutive plays in the closing moments/OT where he decided, for whatever reason, that scoring a TD was too easy and wanted more style points.) Both are capable of better...this isn't Dan Orlovsky stepping out of the endzone for a safety or some bum throwing away a season because he's overmatched. Just two guys who have huge egos and are trying to enhance their legacies to greater heights at the expense of the team.
The Favre INT that bothers me the most is the one he had in the 2007 playoffs vs the Giants. That one cost the Pats a 19-0 season. No way Favre beats that Pats team in the SB.

the Williams injury sucks. Chiefs got lucky as usual with the Bills/Bengals game getting cancelled. If the Bills had won, Chiefs have to go through the Bengals and Bills
That's why I didn't get the reasoning of some fans here who thought that KC voted against that plan. It was a gifted top seed for them against two teams that they lost to during the season. That and the crap teams they played gave them a big advantage.

yep. what’s also forgotten is Romo threw a perfect pass with around 15 seconds left to beat the Giants in the divisional round but Crayton quit on his route even though he had the corner beat. it would have been right in his hands

edit: replying to the Favre post. don’t know why it didn’t quote

the play I’m talking about

Bill Russell has more NBA titles than MJ and Lebron combined. It's too bad you never saw him play.

The Williams injury will probably kill the Chargers chances of getting past the divisional round.

I think KC got screwed. Lost their home field vs Buffalo who probably was losing that game vs Cincinnati, which would have had Buffalo in the 3 seed. Buffalo seems to be the most fortunate team here.

Contrary to the common narrative I believe that the Bills benefit from being in a nice comfy dome I think. That snow game against the Dolphins was a bit revealing to me. And it reminded me of how the Bills absolutely inexcusably blew that hurricane game against the Pats last season. The Bills are a finesse team. And so they catch a HUGE break playing in a dome on turf.

Yeah, the Bills were getting "smoked" by a score of 7-3 in the 1st quarter against a team that the Bills have a better passing game than, a much better running game, more points for, a much better pass defense and the same points against. The only place that Cincy has any edge is with run defense and that's only a slight edge. IOW Buffalo is a better team than Cincy and could have won that game.

KC lost to both Cincy and Buffalo, played a much easier schedule than both and doesn't deserve the #1 seed.

Yeah, the Bills were getting "smoked" by a score of 7-3 in the 1st quarter against a team that the Bills have a better passing game than, a much better running game, more points for, a much better pass defense and the same points against. The only place that Cincy has any edge is with run defense and that's only a slight edge. IOW Buffalo is a better team than Cincy and could have won that game.

KC lost to both Cincy and Buffalo, played a much easier schedule than both and doesn't deserve the #1 seed.

I am still so freaking mad that the Titans blew that game in KC. They HAD it.

Bill Russell has more NBA titles than MJ and Lebron combined. It's too bad you never saw him play.
Back when their were 6 teams in the NBA

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back