PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2022 Tompa Bay Gronkaneers Thread

I just heard Bill Burr say the same thing.

I had no problem with Gronk leaving but I don't appreciate him taking multiple shots at the team.

More on the Cook TD. First time for me watching this. Behind Gronks bravado, he looks miserable and on the verge of tears.

No, I don't blame Gronk, he is as much an entertainer as a football player.

More on the Cook TD. First time for me watching this. Behind Gronks bravado, he looks miserable and on the verge of tears.

They also screwed up his arm surgery, made him practice when he was in a bad way physically when they could have been giving him some days off, attacked him for wanting to work out differently because of injury, etc...

I have to wonder why Gronk is so bitter toward the Pats. He's been taking shots at the Pats since he left.

It's been covered over the years:
  • He thought the Patriots team doctors were full of ****, as they rushed him back too soon, notably in 2012, which is why he sought second opinions outside the organization. The first person he hugged after SB55? Alex Guerrero.
  • The contract was always a problem. No one really knows what the team and Gronk discussed way back when he signed it, and if there was an expectation they'd rip it up if the market changed. But every offseason there seemed to be some bad blood there, as the Patriots were willing to offer him incentives while he wanted guarantees.
  • There's not so much hard evidence that he doesn't like Belichick, but I think we can read the tea leaves on that one.
  • Patriots "fans" somehow blame him for not giving a retirement decision within a month of the season ending, as that's easier than holding the team accountable for screwing up the TE situation, including their laughable mis-handling of the Jared Cook offer.

It's been covered over the years:
  • He thought the Patriots team doctors were full of ****, as they rushed him back too soon, notably in 2012, which is why he sought second opinions outside the organization. The first person he hugged after SB55? Alex Guerrero.
  • The contract was always a problem. No one really knows what the team and Gronk discussed way back when he signed it, and if there was an expectation they'd rip it up if the market changed. But every offseason there seemed to be some bad blood there, as the Patriots were willing to offer him incentives while he wanted guarantees.
  • There's not so much hard evidence that he doesn't like Belichick, but I think we can read the tea leaves on that one.
  • Patriots "fans" somehow blame him for not giving a retirement decision within a month of the season ending, as that's easier than holding the team accountable for screwing up the TE situation, including their laughable mis-handling of the Jared Cook offer.
You forget the trade to Detroit. I mean, come on, Detroit?

That's the kiss of ....

kiss-of-death-god-father.gif

The answer is in this short hilight of his time with the Bucs. It wasn't just serious football.

While in NE, Gronk had to suppress who he was. In his last year, after a TD from Cook, they had a victory celebration where he piggybacked him along the field. He got in trouble for doing that and just having fun.

9 years of suppressing your personality is a long time and will create resentment.

Great analysis. It's too bad that he left here bitter.

That brings up an interesting question. Gronk was wicked entertaining, but was he as great at that as playing? That would make him the GOAT and EOAT in the NYFL.

That brings up an interesting question. Gronk was wicked entertaining, but was he as great at that as playing? That would make him the GOAT and EOAT in the NYFL.
Better player than an entertainer. I love him, charismatic guy, but he's a little too over the top and his delivery isn't great. I think he'd actually might be a good college (and eventually pro...?) position coach if he had that type of interest given what we've heard about his football prowess behind closed doors. And he's definitely engaging to the point where people would listen to him.

No kid outside of Tampa Bay has dreamed of playing for Tampa Bay.
There's many more now than there was.
My basketball fan of a son was more of a Bulls fan than a Celts fan back in the 90s. It nearly killed me.

Bucs make official the release of punter Bradley Pinion, as reported earlier. No corresponding move, so they have an opening on the 90-man roster -- no team activities for a month, so not a huge hurry to fill that, though a veteran tight end would make sense.

Bucs gain about $2 million in cap space by cutting Bradley Pinion. They shed all of his $2.9 million salary with no dead money, but he’s replaced in top 51 by a player with a $895k cap number. They now have about $12 million in cap space for 2022.

They also screwed up his arm surgery, made him practice when he was in a bad way physically when they could have been giving him some days off, attacked him for wanting to work out differently because of injury, etc...
There's always excuses.
Here are the incredibly great players the Pats have traded or given away over the years.
Seymour - They didn't win for 10 years after he was traded.
Law - Wasn't his a money issue?
Vinatieri - Another loss over money. I'm seeing a pattern.
Brady - Money and quitting on the guy, or thinking that he'd play one year at a time for peanuts. What a stupid mistake.
Gronk - The greatest all-around player in NYFL history and a load and a half. They pissed him off beyond repair.
Gilmore - Maybe the Pats skate because of his potential injury problem, but he's another top talent that got away.
Am I missing anyone?

Reactions: Ian
Bill putting Gronk on the field goal unit in a late blowout game which resulted in him breaking his arm was Bill's most idiotic coaching moves. Ruined their season.

Better player than an entertainer. I love him, charismatic guy, but he's a little too over the top and his delivery isn't great. I think he'd actually might be a good college (and eventually pro...?) position coach if he had that type of interest given what we've heard about his football prowess behind closed doors. And he's definitely engaging to the point where people would listen to him.
Yes, I know what you mean. He used to do an event with the kids at my HS and he was very good at that.

Seymour - They didn't win for 10 years after he was traded.
Seymour was traded in 2009. They won in 2014. However, it was an idiotic trade.

Bill putting Gronk on the field goal unit in a late blowout game which resulted in him breaking his arm was Bill's most idiotic coaching moves. Ruined their season.
When you look at Bill though, especially when you compare him to other coaches, he rarely makes mistakes. In all of the time with the Pats I'm hard pressed to find more than a handful of blunders. Most HCs do that in a season or less.

When you look at Bill though, especially when you compare him to other coaches, he rarely makes mistakes. In all of the time with the Pats I'm hard pressed to find more than a handful of blunders. Most HCs do that in a season or less.
He's had a lot of blunders but they were stretched out over the 20 years so they went unnoticed. Any other coach gets fired pulling that stuff without having the luxury of a HOF QB.

The handling of the Gilmore situation is his latest blunder.

Last edited:
There's many more now than there was.
My basketball fan of a son was more of a Bulls fan than a Celts fan back in the 90s. It nearly killed me.

Dude it’s just a sport :rofl:

He's had a lot of blunders but they were stretched out over the 20 years so they went unnoticed. Any other coach gets fired pulling that stuff without having the luxury of a HOF QB gets fired.

The handling of the Gilmore situation is his latest blunder.
Spot on. Brady covered for so many of bills mishaps over the years. It is becoming painfully obvious that his teambuilding approach does not work at all without having a transcendent QB. He has made a ton of mistakes recently not just Gilmore but also Brady, Gronk, Mason. Not to mention his draft picks and FA signings.

The way the team botched Gronk’s arm injury twice, and then (now this is through simply bad luck unrelated to the team but it was the extra insult to injury) just a handful of weeks back from the arm in 2013 having his knee blown out because of a dirty hit completely screwed his career. I think that single calendar year with 3 traumatic injuries created an ultimately irreparable breach in how Gronk wanted to take care of his body and how the team wanted him to. Why he was drawn to Brady’s side of the fence regarding physical training which we all know the team wasn’t happy with.

For the heck of it, I just watched for the first time in years one of those Stephen A. Smith debate clips on ESPN.com. He was debating RG3.

It’s incredible how not only idiotic they are but also factually misinformed.

RG3 brings up that Gronk changes Brady’s legacy because he was so good it meant Brady always had a security blanket.

SAS yells that’s crazy because Brady won 3 SBs without him (incorrect: Gronk was injured in 2016, so Brady won 4 without him.)

RG3 takes this to mean you can subtract 7-4 and Brady only won 3 SBs without Gronk, which is less than Montana.

SAS brings up that Montana had Jerry Rice, just like Brady had Gronk (omits that Montana didn’t have Rice for his first two SB wins in 81 and 84.)

Both yell at each other.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back