PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OBJ to Pats—what do we think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OBJ will have a say in where he’s traded if he is. His reputation for being a mercurial personality will dissuade teams from trading for him unless he expresses his willingness to play for that team. Why trade off draft picks and take on $21 million of guaranteed money to acquire an unhappy player?

I may not like it being the old(er) man I am but OBJ has some power in where he plays just like what you’re seeing taking place in the NBA. And, he has shown a willingness to use it.

$17 million might be an unworkable cap hit for the Pats. But, remember a simple restructure of his contract turning $16 million of his already guaranteed $17 million salary into a bonus would lower his 2019 cap hit to $ 5 million.

Can someone post the cap hits if we traded for him? My issue is what the Giants would want for him. I really don't like the idea of trading two firsts, or even a first and second.

Do it for a 2020 1st.

There’s a difference between being able to analyze talent and having sources who confide in you. Simms’ dad is still one of the “in” guys with both the Giants brass and with Belichick. So I find this very credible, and I could see an argument for it being a leak from either side.

OBJ will have a say in where he’s traded if he is. His reputation for being a mercurial personality will dissuade teams from trading for him unless he expresses his willingness to play for that team. Why trade off draft picks and take on $21 million of guaranteed money to acquire an unhappy player?

I may not like it being the old(er) man I am but OBJ has some power in where he plays just like what you’re seeing taking place in the NBA. And, he has shown a willingness to use it.

$17 million might be an unworkable cap hit for the Pats. But, remember a simple restructure of his contract turning $16 million of his already guaranteed $17 million salary into a bonus would lower his 2019 cap hit to $ 5 million.
I get where you're coming from but I'm about the worker in most cases. He's the best player on one of the most disappointing & mismanaged teams there is in sports. Everyone wants a good soldier but these aren't robots. I can hardly get all worked up about a guy sick of Eli & that FO. So he doesn't want to waste his career in NY, not the biggest deal in the world.

Have to admit Odell with Jules and Gordon if we somehow get Conley Or Crowder that's a sick wr corps.
Maybe adding Beckham would help Gronk stay.

There’s a difference between being able to analyze talent and having sources who confide in you. Simms’ dad is still one of the “in” guys with both the Giants brass and with Belichick. So I find this very credible, and I could see an argument for it being a leak from either side.
No Chris Simms is not credible.

Well that settles it. :rolleyes:
By all means please show me all the examples that prove his credibility.

You like what he said and wish he were credible doesn’t qualify.

Even if I spent the time doing that, I wouldn’t convince you, so I’m not going to bother. I’ll be happy to disagree with your assessment here and let things be.
Because there is nothing to find. Chris Simms has never offered any reliable insight into the Giants or patriots front offices, ever, much less “report” in trade negotiations.
I challenge that you can’t find one example much less enough to indicate credibility.

So yes you will disagree, not because you have any valid reason to, but because you want to and aren’t interested in facts.

And of course if you brought a reasoned argument supported by fact you would convince me, but saying something you have nothing at all to back up never will.

The Patriots have to build up their WR corps. I think everyone agrees on that.

They can patch and play by resigning two of the three FAs, maybe hoping Berrios steps up and/or Gordon comes back. Or grabbing a Danny Amendola if he gets cut. Does Malcolm Mitchell have anything left after another year of recuperation?

I doubt they stick with this route, even if Gronk stays, and I don't think they'll be relying on Gordon coming back (though they'd probably take him back with open arms if he's reinstated - just woun't count on him_.

If I had to pick a dream "get" for them, it would be one of the receivers who fit the mold of an OBJ - Manny Sanders, Antonio Brown...the guys you can't cover 1-1 and who can play inside or outside the hash marks. There aren't many of these elite talents around, and even fewer we could afford. I'm sure they'll get creative, though, and I don't doubt that they're making a play for OBJ.

Have to admit Odell with Jules and Gordon if we somehow get Conley Or Crowder that's a sick wr corps.
Maybe adding Beckham would help Gronk stay.

OBJ, Gordon, Gronk, and Edelman, when they’re playing at their ceilings, would represent the greatest collection of talent (in terms of pass catchers in the 11 package) ever assembled in the NFL.

Now, whether Gordon and Gronk will even play next year, let alone ever hit their ceilings again, is unknown and maybe unlikely. But still, I’m just gonna sit here and think about it for a while to make myself happy.

It’s an exciting possibility but probably a long shot. With all the draft picks, the Pats might have the Ammo needed to get the trade done.

Either way we'll be fine most likely fighting for another SB but the giants are cheeks. Not mad at Beckham at all.

I’m fine with going after OBJ, I just don’t believe a late first get it done, and the additional high picks will make it really pricey. I would give them a 1st this year and a 2nd in 2020.

I was shocked by Belichick saying “ we’re coming back” after the SB, it makes me wonder if he’s going to load up like he did in 2007, so they can go get #7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes