PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OBJ catch - what am I even looking at?

That's a great video showing how OBJ catches balls one handed. See how the tight end moves his arm/hand in the same direction as the balls going? That's how it's done. You lower the collision speed of the ball with the hand. That's all OBJ is doing with the one handed catches. And the grippy gloves really help as well.

Catching it with his right hand with the ball arriving from his right side (backhanding) seems to me to require an extra amount of hand-eye coordination / timing as compared to only decelerating the ball over a longer period of time by matching its motion with your hands, which is the normal method for a one-handed catch.

it's the sticky gloves

Different strokes for different folks. I've never seen a pro-sized football caught backhand.

But then again, you're kinda right... an internet thread on a football discussion forum that takes 5 seconds to consume the entirety of - precious resources that must be preserved...[stupidly huge ellipsis]... seriously

NFL uses pro-sized footballs in all its games.
Catching it with his right hand with the ball arriving from his right side (backhanding) seems to me to require an extra amount of hand-eye coordination / timing as compared to only decelerating the ball over a longer period of time by matching its motion with your hands, which is the normal method for a one-handed catch.
You got to be kidding. Brady throwing a rocket to Gronk in a crowd who sticks his hand out and catches the ball one handed. That is a catch. Not a guy catching a ball back handed during warmups.

I don't see how that guy doesn't win the three-point contest every year.
Probably because in that format his teammate, Klay, is just as good. Steph likely would've lost to Thompson in 2015 if he didn't make an absurd 13 in a row. The 3-point contest is more or less akin to an in-game catch-and-shoot scenario, which is more Thompson's style than Curry's.

Curry is much better at shooting off the dribble, and his ability to create his own shot, unlike Klay, is why he's the better and more versatile shooter, but from a technical catch and release aspect, which is a bigger factor in the 3-point contest, Thompson's ideal mechanics give him the slight edge.

NFL uses pro-sized footballs in all its games.

You got to be kidding. Brady throwing a rocket to Gronk in a crowd who sticks his hand out and catches the ball one handed. That is a catch. Not a guy catching a ball back handed during warmups.

This isn't directed mainly to you Scout, and I know he's uncovered in TC here, but we've seen him do this in games, to a needed advantage. Mainly directed to those people saying "it's not that hard," if every pro receiver could be doing this, every pro receiver WOULD be doing this, as needed.

The guy who said PRACTICE got it right. OBJ clearly thought at some point "I'm going to be the guy who can do the craziest catches on the highlight reel." Now that he's a grownup the effect of having this tool in the toolbox is pretty impressive.

It looks like there's some whistling past the graveyard going on.

And yeah, to quote my old Madden 2004 game, "They used to be able to put stickum on their hands. Now they've got those gloves."

I don't want to see this guy in a SB. It's like having a David Tyree that can do it with high reliability.

Last edited:
What's bizarre is how he'll randomly drop a few at key points in a game.

I don't know what you could be possibly talking about. :D

objdropz.0.gif

objdrop.0.gif

Thank you for posting those playoff drops on what should have been routine catches.

One-handed attention whore, wants to be paid like a basketball player....but arse hole puckers up in a game that really matters.

He's talented, but the hype is a bit much.

This isn't directed mainly to you Scout, and I know he's uncovered in TC here, but we've seen him do this in games, to a needed advantage. Mainly directed to those people saying "it's not that hard," if every pro receiver could be doing this, every pro receiver WOULD be doing this, as needed.

The guy who said PRACTICE got it right. OBJ clearly thought at some point "I'm going to be the guy who can do the craziest catches on the highlight reel." Now that he's a grownup the effect of having this tool in the toolbox is pretty impressive.

It looks like there's some whistling past the graveyard going on.

And yeah, to quote my old Madden 2004 game, "They used to be able to put stickum on their hands. Now they've got those gloves."

I don't want to see this guy in a SB. It's like having a David Tyree that can do it with high reliability.
I would rather not have the Pats play against him. I would rather face the Steeler's Brown, which is highly complimentary. However, I'm just not impressed with the catch. Bbobo posted a Pats receiver making a more difficult catch, backhanded, during a scrimmage. Offseason is over and we are posting Giants receivers making catches in warmups?

Thank you for posting those playoff drops on what should have been routine catches.

One-handed attention whore, wants to be paid like a basketball player....but arse hole puckers up in a game that really matters.

He's talented, but the hype is a bit much.
Exactly. I think he's a self centered, cry baby, prima donna, diva. He can work on his miracle catches and get his "ooohs and ahhs". The Pats will be working on number 6.

anyone can catch one handed with those gloves.

anyone can catch one handed with those gloves.

Gloves or not, OBJ backhanded that ball. None of the photos in the first few seconds of that video (I avoid Reilly content these day) were demonstrative of a backhanded 1 handed catch. That's the key element that I thought was particularly novel, and therefore made the thread.

The only catch that anyone else here has cited that looked even close to a backhanded one was Cooks' from @bbobbo's post - yet Cooks turned his shoulders and hips to face the flight of the ball, so it didn't really seem like a backhanded catch.

Notes for those who hate this thread because they're apparently triggered by OBJ:

1. I'm not an OBJ apologist or fanboy. Just admire some of his skills. I thought this catch looked unusual, so I posted it. I would've regardless of whether OBJ, Dez, Antonio, Megatron, or anyone else was the one to backhand catch a pro sized football thrown from ~20 yards away. Also, as I said, this looked unusual to me, so I don't really care that it was done during warm-ups to a preseason game.

2. A cool catch is not a zero-sum contest. A number of post here are "oh here's a Patriot doing it in a game, that's a real man's catch" - yeah those are awesome catches too. Make a thread about them if you want. People probably did at the time they were caught.

The best one-handed catch that I ever saw was made by Randy Moss against the Fins in 2007. He was double teamed on a long bomb and held off the defender on his left with his left arm while he caught the ball with his back to the pass. He ended up catching the ball in the crook of his right elbow from behind.

The play starts at the 2 minute mark of this video...

The best one-handed catch that I ever saw was made by Randy Moss against the Fins in 2007. He was double teamed on a long bomb and held off the defender on his left with his left arm while he caught the ball with his back to the pass. He ended up catching the ball in the crook of his right elbow from behind.

The play starts at the 2 minute mark of this video...

nah 2010 against the Jets,

Ah, man, I remember him making catches like that in that playoff game against Green Bay. God, he's so damn cool. Never shows off. Keeps his cool. Just a great guy. :)

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back