PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No matter what, this was a successful season.

BAD:
Over-hyped and overpaid: Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Nelson Agholor...

GOOD:
NFL draft successful

BAD:
Too conservative offensive plays

Agree with Jonnu and Agholor. I expected it with Agholor, though.

BAD: Trading away Gilmore and the play of Wino and Uche.

I think if we clinch a playoff spot next weekend, does anyone think the Miami game should be treated as a bye week? Rest up as many old defensive players as we can, with virtually nothing on the line. Sit Hightower, KVN, McCourty. Throw Wilk and Gunner in on offense, open up the playbook. The 1 seed is basically out of the question, with Buffalo's cupcake schedule remaining. Just ready up for a push

It depends on how you define success. The draft was good. The FA signings were mixed at best. We still don't know if Mac is going to develop into a franchise QB or be Andy Dalton. I think next season gives us a better feel on whether this team can eventually contend with the elite teams of the AFC.

Its the, oh wait...we might not win the superbowl? Phase. Pats fans do not understand how lucky we are. We finally do not have to live and die on if we win the superbowl anymore. My favorite times as a fan was watching the growth. The every year you dont win the superbowl ruining my entire year sucked. I want to enjoy the every good thing is a parade and bad things and loses do not ruin my life for awhile. The climb is the fun part, being on the top of the mountain just means you can fall and die at any moment and there is no place to go up.
Some people have a fear of failure, others have a fear of success.

I think if we clinch a playoff spot next weekend, does anyone think the Miami game should be treated as a bye week? Rest up as many old defensive players as we can, with virtually nothing on the line. Sit Hightower, KVN, McCourty. Throw Wilk and Gunner in on offense, open up the playbook. The 1 seed is basically out of the question, with Buffalo's cupcake schedule remaining. Just ready up for a push
No. The way to prepare to play well in the playoffs is to play well going into to the playoffs. This team needs to improve execution if it is going to win a SB. And let’s be clear, there should be no goal other than winning the SB. Sitting out doesn’t improve or prepare a team.

W

We have McMillan, Jennings, McGrone and Perkins to be LBs in 2022. Need a CB and DT IMO. Don't think JC Jackson will be signed.

If Detroit cuts Trey Flowers they save $10M and eat $13M on their cap. Might happen.
McMillian, Jennings, McGrone and Perkins

are comparable to Hightower and Van Noy

IMO, only with those with very, very strong preferences and beliefs in the value of inexperienced players over veterans.

It depends on how you define success. The draft was good. The FA signings were mixed at best. We still don't know if Mac is going to develop into a franchise QB or be Andy Dalton. I think next season gives us a better feel on whether this team can eventually contend with the elite teams of the AFC.
Andy Dalton made 5 straight playoff appearances to start his career and won the division twice. I think we should be happy as a pig in schitt if Mac Jones makes 5 straight playoff appearances and won the afc east twice in 5 years

It seems like the Patriots have fallen back to reality, but no matter what happens... this season in my opinion was a success. 9+ wins and at least a glimpse of a good future. This season was always going to be a rebuild and anything more than what we have now is gravy.

I really think next season will be our true comeback season.
Whether or not this season is a success will be determined from here on. The season so far has put them in a position for it to be a success, despite the last 2 weeks of failure making that more difficult.

Andy Dalton made 5 straight playoff appearances to start his career and won the division twice. I think we should be happy as a pig in schitt if Mac Jones makes 5 straight playoff appearances and won the afc east twice in 5 years
How many playoff games did Andy Dalton win?

Disagree about Mac, these 2 losses are not on him. I haven't seen him missing open receivers. Our last 2 opponents are among the top 5 teams in the league right now. We lost a 50-50 game at Indy, and we were down some weapons in the Bills game.
The issue is not whether Mac is losing games. He's not.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, Mac is NOT winning games for us. Just compare the QB's during our losses.

No. The way to prepare to play well in the playoffs is to play well going into to the playoffs. This team needs to improve execution if it is going to win a SB. And let’s be clear, there should be no goal other than winning the SB. Sitting out doesn’t improve or prepare a team.
Usually, I would say rest players in the last week. However, this time we have a free opportunity to further develop the team, as especially our offense and QB.

I think the old guys on defense could probably benefit more from rest than they could from more reps but it could just be me

BAD:
Over-hyped and overpaid: Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Nelson Agholor...

GOOD:
NFL draft successful

BAD:
Too conservative offensive plays
Hunter Henry has 9 touchdowns.

I think the old guys on defense could probably benefit more from rest than they could from more reps but it could just be me
Not playing, and not preparing for a game sets players back. Being sharp is more important than being a little more rested and less dialed in. They are in their early 30s, not their 50s.

I projected 5-7 wins so I have nothing to complain about.

Not playing, and not preparing for a game sets players back. Being sharp is more important than being a little more rested and less dialed in. They are in their early 30s, not their 50s.
Oh right I didn't realize that. My bad.

My max expectation for this season was nine wins and maybe sneak into the playoffs, given a rookie QB and a bunch of new players.

Now it looks like 10 wins and a playoff game are almost in the bag...with a little upside even. I'm tempted to say they "underperformed," but I think the truth still is they will have already exceeded expectations before the Playoffs begin.

My imagination recalls that once a well-coached team with solid QB play gets to January, anything can happen especially if a strong D plays the way it can and a few lucky bounces go their way....we all know that they lost a couple of SB's to teams that "didn't belong there" (helmet catch, Philly Special)....maybe it's their turn to even the tables.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
Back