PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No matter what, this was a successful season.

W

We have McMillan, Jennings, McGrone and Perkins to be LBs in 2022. Need a CB and DT IMO. Don't think JC Jackson will be signed.

If Detroit cuts Trey Flowers they save $10M and eat $13M on their cap. Might happen.
Or you can just pay JC Jackson and not have to worry about the secondary for another 5 years.

I'm not worried about our pass rush. Judon has been the truth. I'm worried about the fact that our linebackers look big, SLOW, and lumbering against the Buffalos of the world. I'm worried that we looked like we had no chance of stopping Jonathan Taylor when all the chips were on the table.

This defense has been exposed over the past couple of weeks. More talent is still needed to reinforce it next season.

Wait till the season is over and see how the Patriots do in the playoffs against the elite teams and we can better assess the team 'needs' for next year.

It’s been a successful year. The Patriots appear to have hit big on the draft, and that’s what you MUST do. Mac has played well above my expectations...and there’s nothing more valuable than a good QB on a rookie contract. Bill made me eat crow for thinking he had overestimated the roster, as a lot of players from previous drafts have started to play more of a role. All that said, you can call this a “rebuild” or whatever you want…it’s semantics, but however you define this year, keep in mind that outside optimistic player projections (like Mac and Barmore), they’re not in some great advantageous position the next few years from a cap standpoint.

Here are 12 players they committed to last offseason (Van Noy is the only one who could potentially be cut with reasonable cap savings.) In 2021, these players counted 45.3M against the cap; in 2022, these players are scheduled to count 100.5M against the cap. The cap will increase about 15%, or 26M in 2022, and the Patriots do have about 7M rolled over. Still, that doesn’t come close to accounting for this.

2021, 2022 - Cap Hits (may be restructured)
Judon: 6.3M, 16.5M
Henry: 6.8M, 15.5M
Smith: 5.6M, 13.8M
Wynn: 3.6M, 10.4M
Godchaux: 4.0M, 10.3M
Van Noy: 4.3M, 7.3M
Wise: 3.7M, 6.3M
Mills: 4.5M, 6.1M
Bourne: 3.1M, 5.7M
Andrews, 1.7M, 5.3M
Guy: 1.7M, 3.3M

Total: 45.3M, 100.5M

This roster was built to win now, and as you can see by the numbers, this is when the real charges come, almost like ”buy now, pay later sale.” Undoubtedly they’ll restructure a lot of deals, though that’s not a great long-term solution...I compare it to mortgaging properties in Monopoly…short-term cash that damages the long-term outlook...it’s a lot more sensible to do it for players who can be extended and are playing at a high level. Fact is, there’s a lot of guaranteed, unpaid money remaining on these deals, and a lot of these players aren’t likely to perform at the level they’ll be owed soon.

In 2022, the Patriots have about 31.2M. They don’t have many disposable contracts where they can must cut a low value player who is overpaid. Hightower is already included in that figure. Notable FAs are Jackson, McCourty, Hightower, Brown, Phillips, and Meyers. Jackson is likely to have a $20M AAV market. I’m sure they’ll figure out how to move cap space around as every team does, but it will be a huge challenge sustaining their current level of talent let alone improving. You can hope for major QB improvement and more draft picks hitting big, but every team is playing that lottery.

Last edited:
I am sure there will be a thread(s) about what needs to be done to move to the next level when this season is done. As well as looking at the areas mentioned in the thread I can only hope that in the draft we find a (Tee Higgins / CD Lamb / Jaylon Waddle type to inject some fire into the offence for Mac.

Lets talk draft?

How about just a go-to third down someone?

Other than Hunter Henry who should not be that player, there is no one.
James white was that guy…hopefully he recovers and has a few more games in him.

This year has been successful, but it is funny that after this past game everyone is talking about the season as if it is over the Pats are eliminated from everything already. Sure, it doesn't like good for the Pats to do damage in the playoffs after the last two games but they aren't out of it yet. In 2007, the Giants lost two of their last three and everyone said they were one and done in the playoffs.

If I was going to put money on it, I would bet the Pats would be more likely one and done in the playoffs than Super Bowl champs but they aren't eliminated yet. It seems weird that it seems like we are doing a post mortem when they are still very much alive in the Super Bowl hunt even if they are a long shot. I am as guilty of it myself.

Last edited:
2021, 2022 - Cap Hits (may be restructured)
Judon: 6.3M, 16.5M
Henry: 6.8M, 15.5M
Smith: 5.6M, 13.8M
Wynn: 3.6M, 10.4M
Godchaux: 4.0M, 10.3M
Van Noy: 4.3M, 7.3M
Wise: 3.7M, 6.3M
Mills: 4.5M, 6.1M
Bourne: 3.1M, 5.7M
Andrews, 1.7M, 5.3M
Guy: 1.7M, 3.3M

Total: 45.3M, 100.5M

This roster was built to win now, and as you can see by the numbers.

I've wonder if that was what Bill was doing.

Maybe he felt the road to successful rookie QB development wasn't paved with that untalented bunch from last season.

If it happened, great, but did Bill really built a team to win now with a rookie QB?

James white was that guy…hopefully he recovers and has a few more games in him.

White might be back, but they need to find Mac Jones his own James White.

They were just bad in 2020. There was nothing of value with that team and nothing to take forward.

The real rebuild started this year.
Even the usage of « THE » rebuild year - like every team can reset in one year - is quite the statement….

The team is 9-6. They’ve been both great and infuriating. I think they will have double digit wins, which is fantastic for a rookie led squad. But, the way they’ve squandered a few games is also quite frustrating.

I hope the haul this offseason is close to the one, skill wise, they had in 2021…

for this season to be anything but mediocre they need to beat the WORST team in the NFL this Sunday, and if they lose to Jacksonville AT HOME with their playoff lives on the line it is an indictment on the entire program from stem to stern. they had it all in front of them...and now they're in must win situations and THAT doesn't even guarantee them a spot. Based on what I saw from Miami's defense on the road (yes vs a rookie qb and depleted team) I'm not so sure Captain Conservative's offensive game plan is going to put up more than 17 on the road in South Florida.
But it's simple - beat Jacksonville and you're probably in the tournament...

I thought 2020 was the rebuild season?
2020 was simply a lost season. There was no roster overhaul, no money to build anything. Just a stopgap at qb. A lost season.

This year we're getting a glimpse with a proper rebuild under way. With elite qb play this is a 14 win team. As it stands with Mac being just a rookie they'll be a 10 or 11 win team.

Or you can just pay JC Jackson and not have to worry about the secondary for another 5 years.
Doubt that will happen. JC will want a lot of money, other teams have a lot more cap space than we do, Bill won't want to dedicate that much cap to one player. He'll put in an offer that is decent but not enough to beat out other more desperate teams that will need a big name signing to save their jobs.

I've wonder if that was what Bill was doing.

Maybe he felt the road to successful rookie QB development wasn't paved with that untalented bunch from last season.
Mac was drafted after free agency, so that's not it.

Bill said the idea was to raise the overall talent level on the team. Can't argue he did that relative to last year's squad. Can argue about some of the signings and their prices. Can't help the fact that only certain players were available when we had the money to spend and only certain ones were into coming to play here.

The post said its already a succesful season. They have won 9 games. Worst case they are 9-8. That is pretty mediocre
Losing to JAX would indeed be proof of mediocrity, but let's not get ahead of things. BTW BUF did lose to JAX, so anything is possible. Let's hope we have a dominant game at JAX and hope we go into MIA ready to kick butt.

You going to answer this question, @StockingAnarchyNumber12?
People were having super bowl dreams. At one point Vegas had the Pats as highest odds to make it there. Expectations have shifted a bit after getting a broken nose and some missing teeth the last couple weeks.

But hey, still standing. Fight's not over. I'm still eager to see how it ends.

You going to answer this question, @StockingAnarchyNumber12?
The Pats have fallen back to a team that can win if the defense and run game are lights out. The Pats were not a 2021 Super Bowl prospect leading into this season and they not now after riding a brief wave of media generated enthusiasm.

Mac has made plays but has also rode the defense and run game all season. This team struggles to beat post season contenders who are playing their best football down the stretch. The Pats kryptonite is the opposing offense jumping out to a substantial lead and not letting off the gas. Macs numbers are not pretty late in those contests.

Not looking for excuses, but the rookie wall is very real.

Why should we resign ourselves when we can still think big. When teams down low can rise, why can't we . Lightning can strike again..

Why Not us , again ???

I kinda like that everyone's down on us right now, we'll fly under the radar and our vets will be mad as hell.

We still have a good chance of going deep this year, but only if we have all our offensive weapons ready to go. We're not gonna beat a Buffalo without Stevenson and Agholor, or with a limited Bourne. We don't have enough depth so we have to be healthy to have a chance.

All that said, we could've won that game if Jackson holds onto the gimme pick with 5 min left, and/or if the penalties were called right at the end of the 1st half.

On the negative side, the Bills will be tough to knock off. Allen is the best QB in football, without a close second imo. He affected almost every play on Sunday, made every throw, made every right decision, used his running ability to the max. Also, Beasley's absence revealed that McKenzie is a much more dangerous receiver. Hopefully we can avoid them in the early rounds of the playoffs, and maybe someone else can take them down.

The Pats have fallen back to a team that can win if the defense and run game are lights out. The Pats were not a 2021 Super Bowl prospect leading into this season and they not now after riding a brief wave of media generated enthusiasm.

Mac has made plays but has also rode the defense and run game all season. This team struggles to beat post season contenders who are playing their best football down the stretch. The Pats kryptonite is the opposing offense jumping out to a substantial lead and not letting off the gas. Macs numbers are not pretty late in those contests.

Not looking for excuses, but the rookie wall is very real.
Disagree about Mac, these 2 losses are not on him. I haven't seen him missing open receivers. Our last 2 opponents are among the top 5 teams in the league right now. We lost a 50-50 game at Indy, and we were down some weapons in the Bills game.

Disagree about Mac, these 2 losses are not on him. I haven't seen him missing open receivers. Our last 2 opponents are among the top 5 teams in the league right now. We lost a 50-50 game at Indy, and we were down some weapons in the Bills game.
“Buffalo-New England: Mac and freeze,” Cowherd said Monday on FS1’s “The Herd.” “He is now struggling. In his last three games — two of them trailing in the second half — he’s completing 52.5% of his throws. By the way, 31.4 passer rating — career low for the Bills. Again, it’s Week 16. You’re not fooling people. You gotta make some plays off script and that’s not what Mac Jones can do.”

All that said, we could've won that game if Jackson holds onto the gimme pick with 5 min left, and/or if the penalties were called right at the end of the 1st half.
Not to mention both him and Collins whiffing on tackling Allen behind the line on 4th and 1. Coaches put them in place to make the play, they whiffed.

On the negative side, the Bills will be tough to knock off. Allen is the best QB in football, without a close second imo. He affected almost every play on Sunday, made every throw, made every right decision, used his running ability to the max. Also, Beasley's absence revealed that McKenzie is a much more dangerous receiver. Hopefully we can avoid them in the early rounds of the playoffs, and maybe someone else can take them down.
My takes are a bit different. Allen is very tough when he's on, but seems to have games where he's not on. Yesterday he was very much on. BUF tuned their game plan to focus on our old and slow LBs, thus a slot guy like McKenzie had a great day. Singletary had five catches for 39, so almost an 8 yard per catch average. Like the old days we now need to tool our team to beat our divisional opponents and get into the tournament where anything can happen.

It seems like the Patriots have fallen back to reality, but no matter what happens... this season in my opinion was a success. 9+ wins and at least a glimpse of a good future. This season was always going to be a rebuild and anything more than what we have now is gravy.

I really think next season will be our true comeback season.

We already giving up?

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back