PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No matter what, this was a successful season.

Really? I thought that Josh McDaniels was in line to be coach. Don't you think that he will be better in his second turn as a head coach?

This is my worst nightmare. I want BB to live to be 100 years old and win another ring.
Did you like the drafting or signing of: NKeal Harry, Wynn, Sony Michel, trade of Sanu, benching of Karras, benching of Meyers/Harris until 2020 injuries? Or drafting of Laurence Maroney / Tim Tebow / Chad Jackson?

The last game Nkeal played 95% of all offensive snaps, whose brilliant idea do you think that was.

OK I will stop. Sorry. Anyways, I really wish the best of health for William Belichick and also continued winning with BB.

Last edited:
Stares in Julian Edelman.
Julian Edelman was drafted over 10 years ago. And Deion Branch 20 years ago. Hitting on 1 decently good receiver each Decade = GROSS INCOMPETENCE!!! BTW Edelman was a QB conversion project so he wasn't even originally a WR, that gives an idea how bad our WR scouting and drafting is!

I thought 2020 was the rebuild season?
How can 2020 be your rebuild season with Cam Newton as the QB? Can someone explain this to me? Doesn't it all go through the QB?

I believe that 2021 is the rebuild season and 2020 was a Pandemic Waste for the Pats. COVID-19 was the built in excuse for the Waste, with starting players opting out for the season before it began. BB got an "*" year in 2020.

I agree, unless we completely fall apart and lose to the jags and miami and miss the playoffs. If that happens, I'm sorry, I can't call it a successful season. That is a successful collapse. No way that happens though.

Julian Edelman was drafted over 10 years ago. And Deion Branch 20 years ago. Hitting on 1 decently good receiver each Decade = GROSS INCOMPETENCE!!! BTW Edelman was a QB conversion project so he wasn't even originally a WR, that gives an idea how bad our WR scouting and drafting is!

Hopefully this new "draft" mentality the team adopted last year continues and allows them to draft a good receiver.

Last couple years drafts have been pretty good. This year they hit on Mac Jones. Barmore, Stevenson who all appear to be major pieces.

Now need to hit again.

How can 2020 be your rebuild season with Cam Newton as the QB? Can someone explain this to me? Doesn't it all go through the QB?

I believe that 2021 is the rebuild season and 2020 was a Pandemic Waste for the Pats. COVID-19 was the built in excuse for the Waste, with starting players opting out for the season before it began. BB got an "*" year in 2020.

People really delusional to think a 1 year rebuild is the norm? What Patriots are doing this year is not the norm for teams.

2020 was a clear the cap year. This is technically the first rebuild year with all the free agency additions, draft editions and rookie QB.

I see what you are saying.

I agree 2020 wasn't a rebuild year.

2020 was a reset-for-the-rebuild year.

Not no matter what.

We spent a lot of money, and Mac Jones wasn't some raw prospect. He has a very high floor as rookie.

Missing the playoffs would actually be pathetic. Losing wild card weekend would be meh. Getting to the divisional round or conference championship game would be a success, depending on how we look.

Its hard not to be disappointed after the last two games. Would I have taken this at the start of the season? Absolutely. Making the playoffs will make this a successful season IMO.

Its hard not to be disappointed after the last two games. Would I have taken this at the start of the season? Absolutely. Making the playoffs will make this a successful season IMO.

You must have forgotten last year with Cam if you feel disappointed now. With Mac we have hope and a future. No reason to be disappointed, the Patriots have just begun to fight. (And will be even better next year).

This WR thing has been a real problem for me. At the risk of sounding fixated like certain people we know, IMO it's how they value the position. They don't draft these game changing, burner, jaw dropping talent guys on purpose. I cannot figure out why, other than the possibility of those guys being diva, me first, team second, I-don't-care-as-long-I-get-my-touches non-coachable type of guys. They have to score them a certain way that they pass on Every. Single. One. IMO, it's Belichick's Achilles Heel. It's the one thing he sucks at, yet it can't be because he sucks at it. It's got to be the evaluation process is skewed so far that they don't place the same value on guys that the other 31 teams do.

Bill: I put up with these a**hole divas at corner. I am not having them on offense too.

20 years of futility? No. It's their process on the position. Nothing else makes sense to me. They'll draft hard nosed slots all day and be fine, but those outside the numbers guys... can't do it.

I don't THINK you're far off, I don't think Bill wants divas on the team(could be wrong), and I don't either, they complain too much, and take too much Cap.
How many Divas have won the SB?
I want DOMINANT Trench guys, and good WR'S personally.

They hit on WRs when there aren't idiots from john carroll doing the drafts. Branch and Edelman were during their 2 good draft periods, 2001-2004 and 2009-2012

Stares in Julian Edelman.

They also drafted a WR that was developing nicely and helped win a SB but had rotten luck in a pre-seson game.

Also Jakobi Meyers while not a draft pick was signed right after the draft. He's doing pretty ok.

Pats also are one of the teams that spend the least amount of draft capital on WRs so comparing them to other teams who spend 2-4x the amount of capital trying to draft WRs is not a good comparison.

Over the last 10 years they have picked WR before the 4th round only 2 times. Going even further they have selected only 9 WRs in the entire draft since 2010. 5 of them were picked in the 6th or 7th round.

Pats can't draft WRs because.........they really don't draft WRs. 9 WRs in 12 drafts and 5 of them were 6th & 7th round fliers

Then stick to 7th round picks or UDFA or free agency or trades for WR. Absolutely no more wasting high draft picks for WR busts.

This WR thing has been a real problem for me. At the risk of sounding fixated like certain people we know, IMO it's how they value the position. They don't draft these game changing, burner, jaw dropping talent guys on purpose. I cannot figure out why, other than the possibility of those guys being diva, me first, team second, I-don't-care-as-long-I-get-my-touches non-coachable type of guys. They have to score them a certain way that they pass on Every. Single. One. IMO, it's Belichick's Achilles Heel. It's the one thing he sucks at, yet it can't be because he sucks at it. It's got to be the evaluation process is skewed so far that they don't place the same value on guys that the other 31 teams do.

Bill: I put up with these a**hole divas at corner. I am not having them on offense too.

20 years of futility? No. It's their process on the position. Nothing else makes sense to me. They'll draft hard nosed slots all day and be fine, but those outside the numbers guys... can't do it.

The WR/CB draft eval criteria got broken in 2004 from 2 specific people. And hasn't been fixed since.

Edelman hardly played offense for almost 5 years...
FIVE Years.

on the WR/drafting issue...Bill the GM simply does not place high value on the exterior - wide receivers or corner backs - in the draft. Bill the GM would much rather draft the #5 D lineman than the #5 corner or WR in the first round...much of this comes down to nickels and dimes as said lineman typically costs less on there. second contract then said corner or wide receiver

Last edited:
It seems like the Patriots have fallen back to reality, but no matter what happens... this season in my opinion was a success. 9+ wins and at least a glimpse of a good future. This season was always going to be a rebuild and anything more than what we have now is gravy.

I really think next season will be our true comeback season.
For Mac Jones, it's a double edged sword.

Most rookies don't succeed right away in the pros. Period. A lot of them don't even play.

There is a great advantage to gain experience out there without all the pressure of playoffs and titles.

Some guys, like for example Mike Haynes or Ronnie Lott, are thrown right into it and that's the standard they set for themselves their whole career.

Bill Belichick has pioneered some innovations and unusual strategies here. I'd say that's one of the things he's most proud of and thankful for being able to do, and he learned a lot from those years as the head honcho in Cleveland.

The reality is this team has a huge opportunity right here right now to make some noise, with a rookie quarterback. This does not happen.

Frankly, the more guys in that locker room who refuse to be satisfied with anything less than a title, the better. It's gut check time.

Count me in the camp that is satisfied.

Going into the year I thought we were a 4 win team. I mean, in terms of roster talent we are still near the bottom of the league, and then add in a rookie QB on top of it.

I was expecting to see a rookie struggle through the season but for us to still be happy because we were still 'building towards something' instead of having a wasted Cam Newton-year.

The fact that we've been relevant and could be in the playoffs is a fantastic.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back