PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ninkovich and Banta-Cain, your NE Patriots starting OLB

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:

I've watched both Keller and Hernandez. Hernandez is a nice player, but he's nowhere near Keller after the catch.

Give me Hernandez any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

:rolleyes:

I've watched both Keller and Hernandez. Hernandez is a nice player, but he's nowhere near Keller after the catch.

yet Hernandez was 52nd in the league in YAC with 297 yards and Keller was 82nd with 234 yards. Hernandez had less catches more TD's and their yards per reception were the exact same. And if you watched both run, Hernandez is clearly faster and shiftier than Keller. And I'm not sure how you can say he's nowhere near Keller after the catch, especially when the stats say otherwise.

Now that Bodden is healthy, and the Pats drafted a corner high, that should free up Arrington to do what he does best.

Forget Ninkovich and TBC. Arrington should be the full-time rush linebacker. What did he have last year, five or six sacks? And the pressure?

Don't underestimate Arrington at LB!
Will he have to change his number?

You've never head of a CB blitz? Seriously? Come on now. A well executed CB blitz can get pressure on the QB effectively because of a few reasons.

1. Speed. CBs are usually the fastest players on the field, easily faster than any position outside of WR and a handful of elite RBs.

2. Surprise factor. The CB blitz is less expected and teams are less prepared for it. OL also are more used to dealing with defensive ends or outside linebackers rather than CBs who will also be coming in at a sharper angle than a regular front 7 player.

3. Confusion. If the OL incorrectly picks up the 3-4 DE, then that can lead to nearly a direct shot by the CB on the QB.

So no, Arrington's not an OLB by any stretch and don't expect him to act as such. But BB using the CB blitz shows me that he's being creative and trying to bring pressure from different angles to change it up. A well called/timed CB blitz can be quite effective.

BB might just want to see if Ninkovich and Cunningham continue to make strides. But I also think he'll hedge his bets and pick up a vet FA or 2 to supplement the OLB position. You never know if we'll get lucky, guys like Vrabel came in through free agency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back