PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFP Draft Buzz and Rumors

f they can't trade out they may surprise everyone (except me) by taking Monroe. A super safe choice and a building block for the OL.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see KC take Monroe #3 if they can't trade out. I think it would be a smart move. Move Brandon Albert (who played with Monroe at Virginia) to RT and you have one of the past pair of bookend tackles in the NFL to protect Matt Cassel. I'll take Monroe over Tyson Jackson any day. Aaron Curry's a better player, but the position is too costly.

To continue the thought, I think KC would be smart to draft Monroe at 3 and then offer Glenn Dorsey to Jacksonville for #8, drafting Tyson Jackson at #8. Dorsey would be better value than anyone Jax could get at #8.

To continue the thought, I think KC would be smart to draft Monroe at 3 and then offer Glenn Dorsey to Jacksonville for #8, drafting Tyson Jackson at #8. Dorsey would be better value than anyone Jax could get at #8.

I think KC has a ton of cap space to eat a massive contract like that, so it is concievable.

However after watching Dorsey get tooled last year game in and game out, why would Jacksonville do anything other than laugh and hang up the phone.

I think KC has a ton of cap space to eat a massive contract like that, so it is concievable.

However after watching Dorsey get tooled last year game in and game out, why would Jacksonville do anything other than laugh and hang up the phone.

Because unless you believe that everyone was wrong about Dorsey coming out of LSU, he is still a better player than anyone in this draft. And he has a year of rookie learning curve behind him. And because KC had no pass rush to put pressure on the opposing defense to help him out last year. Put him in between Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves, with big John Henderson next to him, and he may be something special. Jacksonville wanted to build a DL that could put pressure on Indy. This would be a nice way to finish off the puzzle.

Dorsey was playing D-tackle, a position famous for needing time to develop. Toss in the Herm factor and you've got a recipe for someone taking a chance.

More rumors from NFP:

The National Football Post | Friday Draft Buzz And Rumors

Among the interesting parts:

1. Pats moving up? "From what I’m hearing, the New England Patriots are definitely interested in moving up, as reported by Peter King of Sports Illustrated earlier today, and I suspect they have their eyes on Ohio State corner Malcolm Jenkins — not LSU defensive end Tyson Jackson as some reports are saying.But I’m also hearing that the Pats will only move up at a discounted rate as they don’t want to give up much in the process. Jenkins is expected to come off the board anywhere from No. 9 to Green Bay, and league speculation has him landing in either New Orleans at No. 14 or San Diego at No. 16. If he gets past the Packers, don’t be surprised to see New England make a play and slide up ahead of the Saints."

2. Jags moving down? "Talk around the league is that the Jags are looking to move out of the No. 8 spot. There should be plenty of talent at the WR position when they’re on the clock — especially if Texas Tech’s Michael Crabtree slides — and Sanchez could still be on the board. But I expect this to be the major turning point in the draft tomorrow. There’s still interest in Sanchez in Jacksonville, but the Jags could cash in when their phones start to ring. They very well could get an offer they can’t refuse, pick up multiple picks and revisit the WR position later in the draft."

3. Andre Smith moving up? "Cincinnati is reported to be high on the Alabama prospect, and that has everyone talking. Buffalo is also reported to want Smith, there is talk of Seattle using the No. 4 pick on him, and I’ve even heard that he’s high on the Browns’ draft board as well. In February, it was bad to be Andre Smith, but on the eve of the NFL Draft, it is very good to be Andre Smith. I can see teams fighting for this guy, so don’t be surprised to see him come off the board in the top five tomorrow. Smith is riding the wave at the right time."

4. Josh Freeman's Status. "The Kansas State QB was a hot name in recent weeks, but I think he has cooled off and has been lost in the shuffle of the Sanchez hype. That doesn’t mean teams aren’t interested. If Sanchez goes early, or if someone makes a major move to get him, Freeman will be a hot name and the dealing will begin. Tampa Bay has been rumored to have him rated high on its draft boards, and the Jets have always been in the discussion. If he’s around and the Jets haven’t made a move, don’t be shocked to see Tampa make a deal to jump ahead of New York and take Freeman off the board. I view him as a major project that has impressive tools, but Tampa has two QBs — Luke McCown and Byron Leftwich — who could warm the field for him until he’s ready."

Wonder what KC could get for Tamba Hali. If they could land a pick for him, I think they should move on it. I know they want to mix in the 34, but I don't see how Hali holds value as they transition fully into the 34. Wasn't Atlanta hot on Dorsey last year? Maybe they would give up a pick for him.

2. St. Louis, KC and Jacksonville all want to trade down badly and will do so for "any price".

That seems to contradict Peter Kings report that Jacksonville rebuffed the Pats trade offer of No. 23 and 47 for No. 8.

Mortenson on ESPN says New England could be after Crabtree. That makes a lot of sense, if Crabtree is the guy he seems to be on tape.

NFL live just said the Rams are looking at taking Sanchez with their #2 pick.

also the 49ers at 10 would like to trade down fot the right offer

NFL network has a draft show on now I am watching

Me too. I just watched Lombardi's mock and Crabtree was projected to #10 and Currywas not in his top ten.

Curry is guaranteed to go top 4. Bakes781 says so. :D

Curry or Crabtree could both fall to #8.

I think it's hysterical what's happening right now. 12 hours ago everyone was saying what a pitiful top 10 this draft was, how the value was in the 20's, and how everyone wants to trade out. Now the great white shark BB has shown his head in top 10 waters and suddenly everyone is terrified of getting eaten alive. The Pats offered more to Jacksonville to move up to #8 than Jax gave Baltimore last year, but their offer is being called a "lowball", and suddenly every player in the top 10 is a potential goldmine - Sanchez, Curry, Crabtree, Raji, Jackson, Smith, etc. No one likes the values, but everyone is afraid to trade with the Pats and find out that they got fleeced. It's pretty amusing.

I think it's hysterical what's happening right now. 12 hours ago everyone was saying what a pitiful top 10 this draft was, how the value was in the 20's, and how everyone wants to trade out. Now the great white shark BB has shown his head in top 10 waters and suddenly everyone is terrified of getting eaten alive. The Pats offered more to Jacksonville to move up to #8 than Jax gave Baltimore last year, but their offer is being called a "lowball", and suddenly every player in the top 10 is a potential goldmine - Sanchez, Curry, Crabtree, Raji, Jackson, Smith, etc. No one likes the values, but everyone is afraid to trade with the Pats and find out that they got fleeced. It's pretty amusing.

You may be on to something.

I think a lot of teams are afraid of being torched by BB. Except for Green Bay (Jackson trade) BB has pretty much torched every body he has dealt with.

I think the Pat's have a better chance of dealing with 49er's at 10-N.F.C. team that Pat's have a draft day trade history with. If I were an A.F.C. team I would not deal with Pat's, it will get you one way or another. Pat's can go get Jenkins-Maualuga-Maybin from 10 to 14. If Pat's went up to get Crabtree that would be a huge turn in my book. I had never even thought of that.

Nice Great White-eaten alive reference. Funny stuff. I can just hear the other teams quivering in their war rooms uttering to themselves We're gonna need a bigger boat!!!

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back