PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's "fake" season 2020

We don’t win in 2018 with jg instead of Brady, that much is for sure to me. Jimmy couldn’t get it done last year with an amazing team and missed multiple easy throws in the 4th quarter that would have likely kept the chiefs from coming back. At this stage he is not a sb winning Qb, perhaps he could be one someday but I think he showed last year he’s not there yet. Jg is a fine starter when healthy but that’s my other concern with him, durability. Absolutely agree with trading him, even as worrisome as our current situation is.
JG is playing in the perfect system for him. That offense is tailor made for him. Like the Ravens for Lamar. I wanted to think the same is true with Cam but it seems that’s not the case.

You're overstating my point. Once again, I am posing Covid-19 as an "excuse" for nothing.
With all due respect, you started a thread calling this a “fake season” and listed all the Covid-related reasons why it is, in your opinion, a “fake season.”

If that ain’t excuse making, then no such thing exists.

With all due respect, you started a thread calling this a “fake season” and listed all the Covid-related reasons why it is, in your opinion, a “fake season.”

I didn't see any excuses in the OP.

I didn't see any excuses in the OP.
When you blame the virus and the situations caused by the virus - which every team has to deal with - as one of the reasons for your poor record, that’s textbook excuse making.

Then we throw in the attempt the minimize the achievements of teams who are excelling.... let’s just say I’d like to think Patriots fans were above that sort of bitterness....

When you blame the virus and the situations caused by the virus - which every team has to deal with - as one of the reasons for your poor record, that’s textbook excuse making.

Then we throw in the attempt the minimize the achievements of teams who are excelling.... let’s just say I’d like to think Patriots fans were above that sort of bitterness....
I dunno about that. The OP wasn't necessarily about our team I don't think. Everyone knows that every team has to deal with the same thing, although with us it's true we have had some bad luck more than others (like our starting QB getting infected and apparently torpedoing our anyway but that's another topic). I think we've benefitted in some ways too - the road games in Seattle and KC weren't nearly as daunting as they normally would have been for us and their opponents.

I think even if we were on top of the league it would be hard not to put an asterisk next to it all anyway.

I dunno about that. The OP wasn't necessarily about our team I don't think. Everyone knows that every team has to deal with the same thing, although with us it's true we have had some bad luck more than others (like our starting QB getting infected and apparently torpedoing our anyway but that's another topic). I think we've benefitted in some ways too - the road games in Seattle and KC weren't nearly as daunting as they normally would have been for us and their opponents.

I think even if we were on top of the league it would be hard not to put an asterisk next to it all anyway.
Sorry not sorry, but I do not believe for a second that a single soul in this forum (except maybe @JetFan79) would be calling it a "fake season" if we were 6-0 right now.

Sorry not sorry, but I do not believe for a second that a single soul in this forum (except maybe @JetFan79) would be calling it a "fake season" if we were 6-0 right now.
Maybe we wouldn't call it a fake season but I'm positive most of us would be be thinking "this is great, but..."

Maybe we wouldn't call it a fake season but I'm positive most of us would be be thinking "this is great, but..."
Bull. If the Patriots were 6-0, there would be no "buts" about it on this forum. Rather, it would be one post after another talking about how brilliant Belichick is and how well he is outmaneuvering all the other teams and his success this year just proves what a genius he is and how he is so good at adapting to circumstances, etc, etc.

Bull. If the Patriots were 6-0, there would be no "buts" about it on this forum. Rather, it would be one post after another talking about how brilliant Belichick is and how well he is outmaneuvering all the other teams and his success this year just proves what a genius he is and how he is so good at adapting to circumstances, etc, etc.
Disagree. I think all of us here are smart enough to know that us winning this year wouldn't mean the same thing as it would other years.

And we were 6-0 with the team being what it is the kudos would be all well deserved, no?

Disagree. I think all of us here are smart enough to know that us winning this year wouldn't mean the same thing as it would other years.
LOL!! My ignorant friend, it's doubtful you were able to keep a straight face while typing that
And we were 6-0 with the team being what it is the kudos would be all well deserved, no?
Absolutely the kudos would be well deserved if the team was 6-0. But they're not. They're 2-4, and coming off the worst stretch we've seen in 20 years.

speak for yourself..........while 'fake season' may not be EXACTLY the right term, the season is unusual

either way, the pats were going to take a huge step down, so the excuse-making as you put it is pointless........now run along, Bucs fan

This is simply a stupid argument, I can list 10 people who might or might not want Brady to beat BB if they played. How the heck am I supposed to know. I can list 10 people who certainly seem more excited with the Bucks then they are with the Patriots.

Sorry sonny, but you're the one who acted like you knew when you made the stupid claim. And now your backup lights are on high beam and the beep is deafening.

I'm done with you now because I don't want to derail this thread, like you tried (and failed) to do with the other one. Buh bye.

Sorry sonny, but you're the one who acted like you knew when you made the stupid claim. And now your backup lights are on high beam and the beep is deafening.

I'm done with you now because I don't want to derail this thread, like you tried (and failed) to do with the other one. Buh bye.
You Buck fans are just so considerate.

Covid did not cause Stidham to be a Stiff who has a 47% completion rate.

Covid didnt reek havoc with the NE WR corps because you cant make them any worse.

Covid didnt make Cam throw 2 TDs and 7 INTs.

I don't for a moment believe you're attempting to be respectful; if so, it would be a first from you. But to address your confusion try this: read the following definitions. Give them some time to sink in, maybe sleep on it if need be. Discernment is your ally. Facts are your friends.

reason​

noun

1. a cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event: "the minister resigned for personal reasons" synonyms -- cause, grounds, ground, basis, rationale, motive, motivation, purpose, point, aim, intention, objective, goal, occasion, impetus, inducement, incentive, explanation, justification, can, argument, defense, the why's and wherefores.

excuse​

noun

1. an explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense: "there can be no possible excuse for any further delay" synonyms -- justification, defense, reason, explanation, rationalization, extenuation, argument, apologia.

Last edited:

excuse​

noun

1. an explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense: "there can be no possible excuse for any further delay" synonyms -- justification, defense, reason, explanation, rationalization, extenuation, argument, apologia.
And the Patriots have become poster boys for why pro football doesn't work well during a pandemic. Would New England still be 2-4 without the virus? Maybe, but I doubt it.

I don't for a moment believe you're attempting to be respectful; if so, it would be a first from you. But to address your confusion try this: read the following definitions. Give them some time to sink in, maybe sleep on it if need be. Discernment is your ally. Facts are your friends.
Geez, here I am being respectful and you respond with personal attacks... ok....

Stop with the sad sack, low rent, homerism excuse making. 32 teams are dealing with Covid. Patriots aren't the only ones. It is unbecoming a Patriots fan to make such pathetic excuses, as well as minimize the achievements of other teams. And while you will never admit it, we both know you would not in a million years create a thread stating it was a "fake" season if NE was 6-1 or something like that.

You know it.
I know it.
The forum knows it.

JG is playing in the perfect system for him. That offense is tailor made for him. Like the Ravens for Lamar. I wanted to think the same is true with Cam but it seems that’s not the case.

right, shanahan gets a ton of criticism over the 2 sb’s, but I think hes done a great job in sf and part of that is putting his young qb in a position to succeed

And the Patriots have become poster boys for why pro football doesn't work well during a pandemic. Would New England still be 2-4 without the virus? Maybe, but I doubt it.
Look Jed, it's well established you're slow on the uptake. But like fellow brainiac the Bucs fan you'd be well served to venture into that bewildering realm of discernment and critical thinking where things like "facts" and "details" carry enough relevance to prevent you from mindlessly idiotic responses. For instance, considering the difference between "reason" and "excuse" via the OP and subsequent thread posts. Don't worry, your brain won't overheat and you'll save yourself a ton of embarrassment.

Look Jed, it's well established you're slow on the uptake. But like fellow brainiac the Bucs fan you'd be well served to venture into that bewildering realm of discernment and critical thinking where things like "facts" and "details" carry enough relevance to prevent you from mindlessly idiotic responses. For instance, considering the difference between "reason" and "excuse" via the OP and subsequent thread posts. Don't worry, your brain won't overheat and you'll save yourself a ton of embarrassment.
The only one embarrassing themselves here is you. If you took a brake from the personal attacks, you would realize that no one here believes you would have made this thread if they were 5-1 or 6-0 and in first place. Even you can't bring yourself to say that.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back