PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL's "fake" season 2020

NJ just put MA on the restricted list.

Maybe the fan bases of both teams will luck out, and the game will be canceled.

I mean how can the Pats fly in and quarantine for 2 weeks before the game?
Just play the game in Austin, Texas.

It will feel like home for both teams.

Before it was played I labeled the game the Stupor Bowl, but it turned out to be of much higher quality than this thread.

NJ and MA are near the bottom in all things virus related. They deserve each other.

Before it was played I labeled the game the Stupor Bowl, but it turned out to be of much higher quality than this thread.

NJ and MA are near the bottom in all things virus related. They deserve each other.

Huh? Not sure what this means but it seems derogatory.

Last edited:
Real fake or whatever the case...

The Jete can't even win in a fantasy season. That's how **** they are

It sure seems to me that state governments are not enforcing their rules as far as the NFL goes. Not entirely sure why not though....

It sure seems to me that state governments are not enforcing their rules as far as the NFL goes. Not entirely sure why not though....

712265cbbd08ff9194a5bdab3e074c61ca2efa5f.gifv

The Pats fake offense fits right in this season.

2 passing TDs through 8 games must be an NFL record unless you wish to count the 1920 leather helmet days prior to the forward pass.

BB likes history. He should send the team out in the leather helmets paying homage to our roots.

Aaaand here we go! NFL vs. virus in a race to see who wins. I wonder if Vegas is taking wagers.

Link: NFL reports largest in-season COVID-19 surge with 56 positives

Nov. 11 (UPI) -- Fifty-six NFL team employees -- 15 players and 41 staff members -- tested positive for COVID-19 from Nov. 1 to Saturday, more than twice the number of cases reported at any other time this season.

The league and players union reported the latest test results on Tuesday. A previous league-high of 26 positive cases was reported from Sept. 27 to Oct. 3. That surge in cases included the Tennessee Titans COVID-19 outbreak, which kept the team off the field for more than two weeks, included two dozen positive cases and altered the NFL schedule for several teams.

Ben too. Maybe this whole contingency scenario might be in play after all.

If that happens the Pats right now are 2 games behind what would be the #8 seed.

The Pats fake offense fits right in this season.

2 passing TDs through 8 games must be an NFL record unless you wish to count the 1920 leather helmet days prior to the forward pass.

BB likes history. He should send the team out in the leather helmets paying homage to our roots.

I spent 10 minutes or so trying to find this stat (lowest passing TDs for a season) on Google and couldn't find much. The 1991 Colts had the fewest total TDs with 14, of which 10 where passing. If that's the record, we're on pace to blow it away.

I spent 10 minutes or so trying to find this stat (lowest passing TDs for a season) on Google and couldn't find much. The 1991 Colts had the fewest total TDs with 14, of which 10 where passing. If that's the record, we're on pace to blow it away.

Page 570. The record for fewest passing TD in a season by team is 0.

They give a shout out to teams with zero to two passing TD for a season but all were 1942 and earlier. Pats won't make it here sadly because they have 3. LOL

Last edited:
Aaaand here we go! NFL vs. virus in a race to see who wins. I wonder if Vegas is taking wagers.

Link: NFL reports largest in-season COVID-19 surge with 56 positives

Nov. 11 (UPI) -- Fifty-six NFL team employees -- 15 players and 41 staff members -- tested positive for COVID-19 from Nov. 1 to Saturday, more than twice the number of cases reported at any other time this season.

The league and players union reported the latest test results on Tuesday. A previous league-high of 26 positive cases was reported from Sept. 27 to Oct. 3. That surge in cases included the Tennessee Titans COVID-19 outbreak, which kept the team off the field for more than two weeks, included two dozen positive cases and altered the NFL schedule for several teams.
For the 2 or 3 of us who still pay attention, daily cases (when measured as a 7-day moving average) have absolutely skyrocketed. They have doubled in the past 2 weeks. The current daily case load is almost twice as high as the previous peak from late July, and about 4 times as high as it was in March/April when everything was shut down. So it is not much of a surprise that people in all parts of society, including sports, are being hit.

Now the deaths are nowhere near their peak from March/April, but cases are increasing exponentially. For some reason, it just doesn't get as much airplay from the media anymore though....

For the 2 or 3 of us who still pay attention, daily cases (when measured as a 7-day moving average) have absolutely skyrocketed. They have doubled in the past 2 weeks. The current daily case load is almost twice as high as the previous peak from late July, and about 4 times as high as it was in March/April when everything was shut down. So it is not much of a surprise that people in all parts of society, including sports, are being hit.

Now the deaths are nowhere near their peak from March/April, but cases are increasing exponentially. For some reason, it just doesn't get as much airplay from the media anymore though....
I see plenty of Covid-19 news coverage but apparently it depends on your news sources. Deaths will be going up, 1,200-plus died today. Anecdotally my wife is treating more Covid patients in the hospital. Unless/until people smarten up with their behaviors it's only a matter of time before things get bad enough again to necessitate widespread shutdowns.

Last edited:
This is that Trick or Treat/Halloween party surge. Cancel Culture predictably ****s their Depends and wants to... wait for it...

tenor.gif

This is that Trick or Treat/Halloween party surge. Cancel Culture predictably ****s their Depends and wants to... wait for it...

tenor.gif

Nobody in their right mind "wants" to shut things down. That will take care of itself if/when the situation gets bad enough.

Last edited:
Nobody in their right mind "wants" to shut things down. That will take care of itself if/when the situation gets bad enough.
There are plenty of people who want to shut things down, including the economy. If you want proof, go search through threads created here whenever there’s been a Covid outbreak. Hell, you, yourself, have called this a “fake season.” That signals a belief that they shouldn’t even be playing in the first place in the current environment. Guess what? It’ll pass. Just like it’s done every time there’s been an outbreak for a team. Games will be rescheduled, players will return to action, and the great, unwashed masses constituting Cancel Culture in this country will forget that this most recent outbreak was even news within a few days.

0.0007%.

There are plenty of people who want to shut things down, including the economy. If you want proof, go search through threads created here whenever there’s been a Covid outbreak. Hell, you, yourself, have called this a “fake season.” That signals a belief that they shouldn’t even be playing in the first place in the current environment. Guess what? It’ll pass. Just like it’s done every time there’s been an outbreak for a team. Games will be rescheduled, players will return to action, and the great, unwashed masses constituting Cancel Culture in this country will forget that this most recent outbreak was even news within a few days.

0.0007%.
The virus can be mitigated without shutting down the economy, people just need to behave smarter. My "fake season" tag has nothing to do with wanting a shutdown. It's reference to how the league, individual teams and overall quality of play have been seriously compromised vs. before the pandemic. It's just not the same but I don't think I ever advocated for not having a season.

What's going on out there right now transcends your rant against "cancel culture" or any notion of it being forgotten anytime soon. Cases and deaths nationwide are skyrocketing, we're approaching 2k deaths from this EVERY DAY.

Last edited:
The virus can be mitigated without shutting down the economy, people just need to behave smarter. My "fake season" tag has nothing to do with wanting a shutdown. It's reference to how the league, individual teams and overall quality of play have been seriously compromised vs. before the pandemic. It's just not the same but I don't think I ever advocated for not having a season.

Sure it is. The same teams that have been playing well in recent years are playing well now and there’s also a few surprises in the mix. Same as literally every single year. Very few players of any consequence (read - stars) have opted out. Yeah, not having a crowd at a lot of stadiums kind of sucks, but talk to your state and local governments about that one. Besides, Gillette sounds just as loud with the fake crowd noise on TV as it usually does when there are fans in there.

What's going on out there right now transcends your rant against "cancel culture" or any notion of it being forgotten anytime soon. Cases and deaths nationwide are skyrocketing, we're approaching 2k deaths from this EVERY DAY.

No ****. We’re one of the most unhealthy cultures in the world. It isn’t a surprise that people are dying from it. Most of them in areas that are tightly clustered because the planet is over-populated as it is. Nevertheless, 0.007% of the US population has actually died of this thing. The majority of people recover. Furthermore, there’s supposedly a vaccine on the way soon. The news about it broke Monday. Very convenient timing, if you ask me, but that’s another subject.

Re: My rant about Cancel Culture...

I could post more opinions that have been published if you’d like. There have also been numerous threads where people have opined within said threads that there shouldn’t have been a season. People were doing that as early as the Titans outbreak. That’s Cancel Culture. It’s permeated our way of life and has mostly been driven by a combination of living in fear of what we don’t entirely understand or what we don’t agree with.

Social media has only injected this culture with steroids. It’s no different with Covid. The hasty reactions to it, even though the survival rate is tremendous, are driven by that ridiculous instinct in our society to cancel, cancel, cancel what we don’t agree with or what we don’t understand. But, like I said, the show goes on. Life goes on. The players infected will isolate, games will get moved, and the product will be fine.

By the way, hope your wife is doing well. I thank her for her work.

Fact check:

Are cases skyrocketing? Well, it depends on how you define "skyrocketing". I'd say most people would say yes, cases are skyrocketing. The daily case load (when taken as a 7-day moving average) has doubled over the past 2 weeks, and is increasing at the fastest rate since the whole thing began. It is over double our summer peak in late July and about 5 times the peak from March/April. Of course, the fact that there was not as much testing back then might mitigate things a little, but not much.

Are deaths skyrocketing? Again, it depends on how you define "skyrocketing" but this one is less clear cut. Also looking at 7-day moving averages, deaths have increased 50% over the same 2 week period, but are still less than half what they were at their peak in March/April, and are not increasing as fast as they did back then (at least not yet). If we look at April, we are not in the same neighborhood (at least not yet). Deaths could certainly be far worse (and perhaps yet will be).

Fact check:

Are cases skyrocketing? Well, it depends on how you define "skyrocketing". I'd say most people would say yes, cases are skyrocketing. The daily case load (when taken as a 7-day moving average) has doubled over the past 2 weeks, and is increasing at the fastest rate since the whole thing began. It is over double our summer peak in late July and about 5 times the peak from March/April. Of course, the fact that there was not as much testing back then might mitigate things a little, but not much.

Are deaths skyrocketing? Again, it depends on how you define "skyrocketing" but this one is less clear cut. Also looking at 7-day moving averages, deaths have increased 50% over the same 2 week period, but are still less than half what they were at their peak in March/April, and are not increasing as fast as they did back then (at least not yet). If we look at April, we are not in the same neighborhood (at least not yet). Deaths could certainly be far worse (and perhaps yet will be).

Remember that mortality is not the only measure of the virus's impact. The medical establishment is just now starting to chronicle survivors' long-term health challenges, including neurological, psychiatric and internal organ disorders. A person who is young and healthy can't assume they'll recover quickly and fully from this thing. This past spring my wife treated an otherwise strong, healthy 34-year-old cop with no pre-existing conditions who caught the virus and died alone on the respirator (he had a wife and two small kids). Police formed a squad car caravan vigil that slowly circled the hospital during his final minutes of life.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back