PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLN to air "Wes Welker: A Football Life"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're probably right; I didn't really follow Welker once he left NE, and I know Brady makes it a priority to throw low and away from coverage. I know Collie was a shell of his Indy self by the time he got to NE.

I was remembering that 2009 documentary where Belichick was trying to decide whether to sit Welker before the last game and saying “I don’t know how smart it’d be to put him in there to get lit up another eight or 10 times like he usually does". I think even with the GOAT throwing to you, there are a lot of big bodies waiting to lay the wood when you run patterns short over the middle.

There's a huge difference between getting tackled and getting destroyed because your QB didn't put the ball in a safe spot. Brady is known to throw his slot receivers to the ground in order to keep them from getting killed. Manning is known from throwing his slot receivers passes that put them in outstretched positions where they can't defend themselves.

Last edited:
emmanuel-sanders-gets-hit-hard-by-st-louis-defender-a.gif

superbowl48_chancellor_hit_on_thomas_1.gif

I'm glad you made that point. That would have been a tough catch had he made it, but one he usually made. The blame on that play probably should have been shared more between him and Brady. As I understand it, Brady thought he was going to settle down in the open spot, and Welker saw the open field infront of him and kept going, hence the back shoulder throw. Just one of those things....a very sad thing, nonetheless.

But back to Welker, it remains interesting that Welker still remains as one of Brady's best friends to this day. It will be interesting to see if that shows through in his show.

His time in the league was very impactful. He wasn't the first "slot receiver", but he was the one that made the position come into focus to both the league and fans. He certainly deserves a spot in the Pats HOF, but his departure might cause him to have to wait a few years.
The Wes Welker story is an amazing one.

The deal is this: He gave 100% on every play, and he just didn't have the juice to dig in and get something extra to make that catch. Not his fault; he was very largely the biggest reason, beyond Tom, that the team was competing for the top in the first place.

I spoke to a guy who was there, and he pointed out the eery, pressure-filled quiet that spread through the stadium during every one of those long TV timeouts.

Welker's productivity in just the time he was here are worthy of Canton.

Here's a preview:

The hits he took

weswelkahow_medium.gif

6YL62Y0.gif

The dirty hits he made (like on Talib)

talib-injury-a.gif

The drama from breaking team rules

200w.gif

The ability to tarnish his legacy with the Patriots

78253e6cf807456db1dc7afd99ac44a7--wes-welker-si-cover.jpg

The classic comeback from 24-0 he helped seal in overtime with his special teams blunder

wes+welker+tony+carter+GIF.gif

And biggest of all, the SuperBowl he cost us

welker_medium.gif

welker1.jpg

unlike his replacement who came good

edelmancoverbig.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back