PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLN to air "Wes Welker: A Football Life"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, he took a lot of hellacious hits when Brady was throwing to him too.

It's just part of the 'slot receiver' gig, I guess. Should be an interesting show.

It's just part of the 'slot receiver' gig, I guess. Should be an interesting show.

Not nearly as many, or as bad, for that matter.

Seriously, go watch him. He almost never throws those passes without at least attempting to protect the receiver.

It will probably be one continuous loop of him high AF on Molly, handing out piles of cash to total strangers.

It will probably be one continuous loop of him high AF on Molly, handing out piles of cash to total strangers.

Who is this "Molly" person? His wife Anna Burns might get jealous. ;)

His early story is cool, entering college unrecruited, then getting a shot at the last minute at Texas Tech when another guy quit.

This sounds like it could be really good. This could be a real eye opener on Welker.

This should be good but I can't help but wonder why with 5 titles under the belt they can't choose a Patriot who won. Welker isn't top 20 in Patriots I'd like to see in an episode. I don't even think he'd be in my top 10 of Patriots who haven't won that I'd like to see in an episode.

He took a lot more in a shorter timeframe once he went to Denver. Brady is really good at throwing those low passes which allowed Wes to get to the ground before the big hit came. Manning, not so much.

This should be good but I can't help but wonder why with 5 titles under the belt they can't choose a Patriot who won. Welker isn't top 20 in Patriots I'd like to see in an episode. I don't even think he'd be in my top 10 of Patriots who haven't won that I'd like to see in an episode.
They did pick Rodney last year, FWIW.

If it was only Welker that Manning got destroyed, you'd have a better argument. But when you add in guys like Collie, et al, there's a pretty clear pattern of Peyton, mighty Peyton, not having the ability and/or inclination to throw his receivers to safety.

Man I wish he won a ring here. What an incredible player. (Please, no references needed to a certain play in SB46, I get it.)
I'm glad you made that point. That would have been a tough catch had he made it, but one he usually made. The blame on that play probably should have been shared more between him and Brady. As I understand it, Brady thought he was going to settle down in the open spot, and Welker saw the open field infront of him and kept going, hence the back shoulder throw. Just one of those things....a very sad thing, nonetheless.

But back to Welker, it remains interesting that Welker still remains as one of Brady's best friends to this day. It will be interesting to see if that shows through in his show.

His time in the league was very impactful. He wasn't the first "slot receiver", but he was the one that made the position come into focus to both the league and fans. He certainly deserves a spot in the Pats HOF, but his departure might cause him to have to wait a few years.

His time in the league was very impactful. He wasn't the first "slot receiver", but he was the one that made the position come into focus to both the league and fans. He certainly deserves a spot in the Pats HOF, but his departure might cause him to have to wait a few years.

It wouldn't surprise me if, despite his likely later eligibility window, Edelman gets in before Welker.

It wouldn't surprise me if, despite his likely later eligibility window, Edelman gets in before Welker.

yeah, he's definitely taking a back seat to a bunch of guys for Pats HOF. It wasnt just the leaving...it was leaving to go with Manning in Denver

"Football Life" doc's rarely disappoint IMO.

Cleveland 95 might be one of my favorite doc's I've ever watched.
I don't think I've seen a bad one yet.

Even the Bruce Ariens one was decent.

If it was only Welker that Manning got destroyed, you'd have a better argument. But when you add in guys like Collie, et al, there's a pretty clear pattern of Peyton, mighty Peyton, not having the ability and/or inclination to throw his receivers to safety.

You're probably right; I didn't really follow Welker once he left NE, and I know Brady makes it a priority to throw low and away from coverage. I know Collie was a shell of his Indy self by the time he got to NE.

I was remembering that 2009 documentary where Belichick was trying to decide whether to sit Welker before the last game and saying “I don’t know how smart it’d be to put him in there to get lit up another eight or 10 times like he usually does". I think even with the GOAT throwing to you, there are a lot of big bodies waiting to lay the wood when you run patterns short over the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back