PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Trade Deadline: November 3rd 4 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you that they should accept the first round pick, but there's also reason to believe that he can be quite effective for another 3-4 years (IMO). I mean, he's the same age as Revis who just set the market for a position that requires an insane amount of athleticism.

Even 80% of what Thomas was is still good enough to be in the top 10 franchise protecting tackles, and I don't think you'd have to start to worry for at least another couple of years.
Oh yeah, I believe Thomas will be an effective player, no doubt. For comparison, look at one of our guys, let's say Hightower. This is his fourth year with us, and he's likely going to be with us another 4+. That's roughly a decade worth of quality play out of a first rounder. That's one reason I'd be hesitant. Possibly losing out on those productive years is big, but that's in a normal situation. Denver goes where Peyton takes them. They are the outlier in that train of thought.

Browns really drinking too much cough syrup lol.

I hope we get a corner. I would be find with a rashean mathis.

Random thought...wonder if Devin actually wants Jason here? Yeah, they're close, but brothers are competitive as hell, twins even more so. Hmmm. Eh, sure it'd be fine.

LOL, Browns wants the house together with the whole street infront of it.

Browns should sell high on Barnidge as well.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
To be specific, Browns were asking two 1st-round picks for OT Joe Thomas. They won't get that.

CLEVELAND

It makes sense in that they have no reason to really want to trade him anyway. They have the best LT in the league, which is a hell of an asset both for building a winning team and developing a QB.

The mistake was to basically announce that they were willing to part with him... then name a ridiculous price. Might as well say "we're not really interested in trading him, but theoretically anyone's available for the right the price".

Oh yeah, I believe Thomas will be an effective player, no doubt. For comparison, look at one of our guys, let's say Hightower. This is his fourth year with us, and he's likely going to be with us another 4+. That's roughly a decade worth of quality play out of a first rounder. That's one reason I'd be hesitant. Possibly losing out on those productive years is big, but that's in a normal situation. Denver goes where Peyton takes them. They are the outlier in that train of thought.
Yup. The only 1st rounder in recent memory that didnt give us a lot of value were Meriweather and Maroney.

Both fizzled out after showing nice flashes and potential.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
To be specific, Browns were asking two 1st-round picks for OT Joe Thomas. They won't get that.

CLEVELAND
Anyone know where Denver is with the Cap this year. Could they absorb the aprox. $5MM Thomas would have left this year. Davis is already going to add almost $3MM. Maybe this "leak" is a PR move to show how far Denver is "all in". It is hard to believe that if Cleveland actually wanted to move Thomas, they'd turn down a first round pick, even if it would be in the late 20's. I think they really didn't want to move him

Last edited:
Anyone know where Denver is with the Cap this year. Could they absorb the aprox. $5MM Thomas would have left this year. This "leak" might be just for their fans to make them think they are going "all in" this year. Davis is already going to add almost $3MM
After trading for Vernon Davis, they have about 5.5 mil in cap space...

Yup. The only 1st rounder in recent memory that didnt give us a lot of value were Meriweather and Maroney.

Both fizzled out after showing nice flashes and potential.

Since Bill has been here we've rarely missed on those first rounders, and its a big reason why we're able to sustain our success. You have to be able to hit on those picks, or you've killed your chances at competing at a high level. Maroney and Meriweather had dynamic playmaking ability, but were missing some intangible that kept them from being upper level talents.

A more sobering thought would be to look at our 2nd round in 2009. Hitting on those picks would have been HUGE for us. We struck out, unfortunately. You win some, you lose some.

After trading for Vernon Davis, they have about 5.5 mil in cap space...

it's going to happen. elway wants him badly..

staley's the other guy...wouldnt mind the pats going for him. fleming scares me.

I wonder how many picks Brady would be worth trading for. Three consecutive first rounders? Two? Four? An entire franchise? Maybe we could trade Brady to the Jets, for the Jets, then disband their franchise and put Brady back on the team

@RapSheet: Plenty of teams (like the #Patriots) looking for CBs, but so few actually available. Just like in training camp. Everyone wanted CBs, OTs.

A more sobering thought would be to look at our 2nd round in 2009. Hitting on those picks would have been HUGE for us. We struck out, unfortunately. You win some, you lose some.

Had 4 picks in the 2nd round of '09 and 2 of them were key contributors to the latest SB.

Vollmer and Chung

Vollmer has been good his career when healthy and Chung had a couple of bad years after his 2nd season but has played well since returning to NE.

Had 4 picks in the 2nd round of '09 and 2 of them were key contributors to the latest SB.

Vollmer and Chung

Vollmer has been good his career when healthy and Chung had a couple of bad years after his 2nd season but has played well since returning to NE.

I meant striking out to be three swings and misses, with Vollmer being a stud. I guess Chung has gained enough respect.

I wonder how many picks Brady would be worth trading for. Three consecutive first rounders? Two? Four? An entire franchise? Maybe we could trade Brady to the Jets, for the Jets, then disband their franchise and put Brady back on the team

Can someone run the numbers on this scenario? I would be all for it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back