Defensive Ends: 7
» Defensive Tackles: 7
» Linebackers: 12 (6 MLB/ILB; 6 OLB)
» Cornerbacks: 7
» Safeties: 6
» Kickers: 2
» Punters: 2
» Kick Returners: 2

I'm a little shocked they're only doing 10 QBs but that's a good thing. Given how the running backs went with no players drafted later than 1990 (Emmitt Smith) and with a lot of old timers getting the nod I don't think there's going to be some shockers left off. I'm thinking Brees and or Rodgers don't make it.

In no particular order other than #1 as locks IMO:

1. Brady
2. Unitas
3. Graham
4. Baugh
5. Montana

If you don't think those other 4 are locks they were all on the 75th anniversary team. They aren't getting booted IMO.

6. Manning - Absolutely no way he's not making it.
7. Favre - I would be shocked if he's not on the list given the national love affair with him.

This is where it becomes a bit of a question.

Brees - all time leading passer and could also own TDs in the end.

Marino - First to 60K and did it when nobody else was.

Elway - 5 SBs on with 2 wins. He really carried 3 of those team there and shouldn't get demerits for running into far superior teams.

Staubach - Bill's childhood hero and he was on the committee.

Rodgers - Passer rating and Joe Buck drool jobs.

Young - Best passer rating before Polian got the rules changed.

Starr - 5 titles, 3 in a rows.

Let's assume two of Elway, Marino, Staubach, Young and Starr make it. I think Elway and Marino do make it if for no other reason I cannot see them putting in 4.5 (Favre 90's-2K's) quarterbacks from this era in and not representing the older eras.

That's 9.

Are they really leaving the all time passing leader, Brees, out? Packers fans and Joe Buck might never recover.

Side subject. Ditka and Winslow were the 75th anniversary TEs. No way Gonzalez isn't the 3rd of 5. If Gronk isn't one of the other two that's complete BS.

They already announced Bill as a coach. Tom is a lock. Gronk should be a lock. Hannah is a lock. I think Adam makes it. Mike Haynes gets in. I think that's it for Patriots. 5 players and a coach really isn't a bad percentage but you just know the Steelers Cowboys, Packers and Bears are going to end up with more and a few of them double digits. I also think the Raiders, 49ers and Dolphins get as many.

It’ll be fun to hear Belichick talk about Brady when that time comes.

Offense
»
Quarterbacks: 10
» Running Backs: 12
» Wide Receivers: 10
» Tight Ends: 5
» Tackles: 7
» Guards: 7
» Centers: 4

Defense
»
Defensive Ends: 7
» Defensive Tackles: 7
» Linebackers: 12 (6 MLB/ILB; 6 OLB)
» Cornerbacks: 7
» Safeties: 6
» Kickers: 2
» Punters: 2
» Kick Returners: 2

I'm a little shocked they're only doing 10 QBs but that's a good thing. Given how the running backs went with no players drafted later than 1990 (Emmitt Smith) and with a lot of old timers getting the nod I don't think there's going to be some shockers left off. I'm thinking Brees and or Rodgers don't make it.

In no particular order other than #1 as locks IMO:

1. Brady
2. Unitas
3. Graham
4. Baugh
5. Montana

If you don't think those other 4 are locks they were all on the 75th anniversary team. They aren't getting booted IMO.

6. Manning - Absolutely no way he's not making it.
7. Favre - I would be shocked if he's not on the list given the national love affair with him.

This is where it becomes a bit of a question.

Brees - all time leading passer and could also own TDs in the end.

Marino - First to 60K and did it when nobody else was.

Elway - 5 SBs on with 2 wins. He really carried 3 of those team there and shouldn't get demerits for running into far superior teams.

Staubach - Bill's childhood hero and he was on the committee.

Rodgers - Passer rating and Joe Buck drool jobs.

Young - Best passer rating before Polian got the rules changed.

Starr - 5 titles, 3 in a rows.

Let's assume two of Elway, Marino, Staubach, Young and Starr make it. I think Elway and Marino do make it if for no other reason I cannot see them putting in 4.5 (Favre 90's-2K's) quarterbacks from this era in and not representing the older eras.

That's 9.

Are they really leaving the all time passing leader, Brees, out? Packers fans and Joe Buck might never recover.

Side subject. Ditka and Winslow were the 75th anniversary TEs. No way Gonzalez isn't the 3rd of 5. If Gronk isn't one of the other two that's complete BS.

They already announced Bill as a coach. Tom is a lock. Gronk should be a lock. Hannah is a lock. I think Adam makes it. Mike Haynes gets in. I think that's it for Patriots. 5 players and a coach really isn't a bad percentage but you just know the Steelers Cowboys, Packers and Bears are going to end up with more and a few of them double digits. I also think the Raiders, 49ers and Dolphins get as many.
Mike Haynes won’t be in the top 7 corners of all time IMO.

I like Brees and will be forever grateful he beat Manning but am not sure about him being top 10 all-time. His candidacy is based almost exclusively on stats vs big moments and I'm just not sure it will be enough especially as his career is ending at a time when QB stats are more prolific than ever. (plus he played in likely the most favorable conditions in NFL history being in a dome and in a southern division) Have some of the same thoughts about Rogers - his "most talented ever" label may or may not be true from a physical standpoint but it has not translated into enough post season success for me to anoint him one of the 10 best ever. He still has time to cement his all-time status.

My top 10:
  1. Brady
  2. Montana
  3. Graham
  4. Unitas
  5. Starr
  6. Baugh
  7. Manning
  8. Staubach
  9. Bradshaw
  10. Elway
Just missed - Marino, Young, Rogers, Brees, Favre

Last edited:
Mike Haynes won’t be in the top 7 corners of all time IMO.

He was one of the top 4 on the 75th anniversary team. You think there are 4 corners better in the last 25 years to push him out? Not happening. They aren't going to have a modern era heavy team. They want this to reflect all eras.

The 4 corners for the all decade team of the 2000's was Ronde Barber, Ty Law, Champ Bailey and Rod Woodson. None were as good as Haynes. Maybe you can make an argument for Woodson as a career but part of that was spent at safety. I think Woodson and Bailey are two of the three added to make 7. The 3rd will be an old timer.

2010's team likely Sherman, Revis, Talib and Peterson. None are as good as Haynes.

I like Brees and will be forever grateful he beat Manning but am not sure about him being top 10 all-time. His candidacy is based almost exclusively on stats vs big moments and I'm just not sure it will be enough especially as his career is ending at a time when QB stats are more prolific than ever. (plus he played in likely the most favorable conditions in NFL history being in a dome and in a southern division) Have some of the same thoughts about Rogers - his "most talented ever" label may or may not be true from a physical standpoint but it has not translated into enough post season success for me to anoint him one of the 10 best ever. He still has time to cement his all-time status.

My top 10:
  1. Brady
  2. Manning
  3. Graham
  4. Unitas
  5. Starr
  6. Baugh
  7. Manning
  8. Staubach
  9. Bradshaw
  10. Elway

I'd take any one of your just missed over Bradshaw.

My top 10:
  1. Brady
  2. Manning
  3. Graham
  4. Unitas
  5. Starr
  6. Baugh
  7. Manning
  8. Staubach
  9. Bradshaw
  10. Elway

???

Having Peyton that high is bad enough. But having Eli that high should be grounds for a Baker Act type response. And not having Montana on that list should be grounds for instituting the sportswatching death penalty.

He was one of the top 4 on the 75th anniversary team. You think there are 4 corners better in the last 25 years to push him out? Not happening. They aren't going to have a modern era heavy team. They want this to reflect all eras.

The 4 corners for the all decade team of the 2000's was Ronde Barber, Ty Law, Champ Bailey and Rod Woodson. None were as good as Haynes. Maybe you can make an argument for Woodson as a career but part of that was spent at safety. I think Woodson and Bailey are two of the three added to make 7. The 3rd will be an old timer.

2010's team likely Sherman, Revis, Talib and Peterson. None are as good as Haynes.
Ok. Good points. We will see.

My top 10:
  1. Brady
  2. Manning
  3. Graham
  4. Unitas
  5. Starr
  6. Baugh
  7. Manning
  8. Staubach
  9. Bradshaw
  10. Elway
Did you mean to type MONTANA as #2? That would make a lot more sense than Peyton 2 and my gawd Eli #7

Top 10 QB’s (no order)

Brady, Montana, Manning, Unitas, Marino, Graham, Baugh, Farve, Staubach,

I don’t envy whoever makes this list. Starr/Bradshaw/Brees/Rodgers/Young/Luckman

So many

Top 10 QB’s (no order)

Brady, Montana, Manning, Unitas, Marino, Graham, Baugh, Farve, Staubach,

I don’t envy whoever makes this list. Starr/Bradshaw/Brees/Rodgers/Young/Luckman

So many
I almost feel like Baugh and graham
kind of belong in a different category because it was an entirely different game.
Sammy Baugh retired at 38 and Tom Brady has thrown more passes after turning 37 than Baugh did in his entire career.

My mistake - #2 was Montana so I fixed it. Eli is not even top 100 QB's let alone top 10. I probably overrate Bradshaw a bit but he was one of the first winning multiple SB winning QB's I watched growing up and he was the focal point on the late 70's Steelers teams. One of few QB's whose stats got better in the post season.

Last edited:
I almost feel like Baugh and graham
kind of belong in a different category because it was an entirely different game.
Sammy Baugh retired at 38 and Tom Brady has thrown more passes after turning 37 than Baugh did in his entire career.

it’s the 100 year list though so it’s era agnostic

IMO Marino should be in the top 10...he was better then Manning and Farve. However I would put him at the top of the list for his all-time proficiency at being a world class a-hole for a QB.

It was interesting last night to see the heavy emphasis they put on the early years of the NFL. 5 of the 12 started in the 1950’s or earlier. Not one player drafted after 1990. I thought LaDanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, and Marcus Alan were tough guys to leave off, but it’s obviously not an exact science.

So 10 QBs. I thought it would be more. This is how I see it. They don’t rank the players in any type of order.

Locks
Brady, Montana, Unitas, Manning, Graham

Close to Locks
Elway, Baugh

On the fence but make it
Favre, Starr, Bradshaw

Just miss
Staubach, Marino, Brees, Rodgers,

Favre makes it over Marino for the SB he has. 2 spots for the 3 60’s - 70’s era QBs. Very tight, but think they go Bradshaw and Starr over Staubach due to more titles.

Other Patriots I see as locks are Hannah, Vinatieri and Gronk. I think Moss and Haynes have very good shots.

Can’t wait to see Saints and Packers fans cry when overrated Brees and Rodgers don’t make it

Brady
Montana
Unitas
Graham
Bradshaw
Staubach
Starr
Manning
Elway
Marino

it’s the 100 year list though so it’s era agnostic
But what a qb does, and how much they impact the game isn’t.
If one era is heavily QBcentric and the other is running centric that’s a difference you have to consider.

Brady
Montana
Starr
Baugh
Graham
Unitas
Staubach

Those seven have to be among the top 10 QBs. I can see some recency bias kicking in at the QB position, but those have to be locks, IMO.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back