PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

nfl Top 100 players of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will wait to see the whole list to comment but I will give my top 10. I don't think I could do a top 100 accurately alone.

#1 Tom Brady - GOAT. One of his best years

#2 Zack Martin - Best OL man in the NFL... Again. Yawn.

#3 Julio Jones - Made Ryan look MVP worthy.

#4 Aaron Donald - Best Defensive player in the NFL. Get on a better team please.

#5 David Johnson - No help? Still have 20 TDs and Most YFS.

#6 Khalil Mack - Was a pressure machine.

#7 Harrison Smith - Honestly if he was not on the Vikings and had other great D players around him he would be talked about more.

#8 Aaron Rodgers - It was clear Nelson was still not right and didn't have the help this year from skill players he was use to.

#9 Aqib Talib - Best CB this year IMO. More diverse than most and elevated a Denver D that had some players have a down year IMO

#10 Mike Evans - Honestly I don't like this #10 but with 3 guys who would usually be on this list off this year He is able to sneak on. A great WR of course but he didn't have the breath of impact you'd expect a guy who made the top 10 on a list like this to have on that side of the ball on a whole. Maybe everyone else around him is just that bad though and he couldn't lift them up that high.

Here is a superior list already out I recommend.

Top 101 players from the 2016 NFL season | PFF

No LB made it this year but Luke would knock someone off if he did. Also I think what Talib brings is sometimes underrated cause even as good as other guys around him are he really elevated them this year from what i saw. Von Miller had a down year and Watt/Gronk missing time gave others a chance to step up. After thinking about it the year David Johnson had considering how bad his support was much of the year was crazy good. Zack Martin is underrated STILL and asked to do a thankless job. IMO he elevated other very good players around him to look great when really it starts with him. On his way to be a top 3 OL man all time IMO. This list put his team's RB and C above him when he is the guy who made them look that good.

The only thing about them I don't like is they go strictly by their own grades and those often fail to factor in the impact other players have making a job on a certain player easier or harder. For instance they grade Matt Ryan #5 overall when in reality IMO they need to say "yes he was great but his job was made very easy this year by that crazy good cast".

Sometimes their grades give players around other good players a bump and drag players surrounded by bad players down.

Last edited:
Brady
Gronkowski
Edelman
McCourty
Hightower
Butler

Those are our likely top 100 players.

It'll be interesting comparing the players' top 100 vs PFF's top 100 (I think PFF is the most accurate source when it comes to recognizing players outside of the sexy stats, eg. someone like Brandon Graham is ranked much closer to what he is in PFF as they account for QB pressures, knockdowns, hits, etc.)

The Top 100 Players of 2017

Cooks?

I didn't include Cooks because he wasn't on the team last year, this is not to say he isn't a top 100 talent (which he is imo).

Hard to believe edelman can't get into the top 100. His production over the last 4 years has been consistently top notch. Besides hes also one of the leagues best punt returners

I'd say it's more likely he's inside the top 80.

The only one who I thought was really objectionable was Alex Smith at #81, since an average QB is rated over studs like Mike Daniels or Jurrell Casey, but QBs are what they are.

I'd say it's more likely he's inside the top 80.

The only one who I thought was really objectionable was Alex Smith at #81, since an average QB is rated over studs like Mike Daniels or Jurrell Casey, but QBs are what they are.

Alex Smith came in at #81? That seems about right...among quarterbacks.

Once again I have a feeling DMAC is gonna get snubbed.

I'd put Rodgers at #2. He is the second scariest player in the league and he'd be the second player I'd want for 2017 if Brady was taken.

Edelman's about to be 71.

Looks like DMAC still isn't getting respect from the players. Assuming he didn't make the list, they put Haha Clinton Dix over him... No way lol

Edelman's about to be 71.

Looks like DMAC still isn't getting respect from the players. Assuming he didn't make the list, they put Haha Clinton Dix over him... No way lol

I'd switch his spot with Butler and move High up...but yeah this is dumb.

Brady
Gronkowski
Edelman
McCourty
Hightower
Butler

Those are our likely top 100 players.

It'll be interesting comparing the players' top 100 vs PFF's top 100 (I think PFF is the most accurate source when it comes to recognizing players outside of the sexy stats, eg. someone like Brandon Graham is ranked much closer to what he is in PFF as they account for QB pressures, knockdowns, hits, etc.)

The Top 100 Players of 2017

PFF is awful.

Not that the NFL players are experts but some of them played against him and none of us did. Kind of makes them experts at how hard of a runner he is. To me that makes them at least more insightful than most of us (Ravens, Jets and Colts excluded). Blount deserves his own thread on being #80 for the beating he takes here. I hope the Pats sign him to a fair base + incentive deal in TC and he gets the hard carries in the 1st half of the season. And no not based solely on the 19 TD's and Minutemen celebrations. Go back and look I was one of VERY few that had his back prior to last season. I think he can do it again for value. He also returns kickoffs in a pinch. Think he ran one back all the way 3 years ago.

Slight edit grammar/wording only.

Looked it up - it wasn't a KR for a TD it was 2 KR for about 80 yards on one when they were down a TD, another 60 yard KR when they were up a score and about a 35 yard TD run. Granted that was the season they got him fresh half way through the year from Pitt but I've never understood the hate. He's immediately the best 1st down run only option on the Pats now (if they sign and he made it). And he had his best season last year.

Week 17: New England Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand