PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL ratings were down for the opener/Sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday: down 13% during the day and 18% in the 18--49 yo demographic at night!

In addition, the MNF ratings are just in; down seven percent for the first game and a stunning 25% in the second game:

NFL's 'Monday Night Football' Takes A Sack In The Ratings

It's hard to imagine that those are random fluctuations and I doubt that much of it can be explained away by the Eid al-Adha holiday. :)

Seriously, though. The only thing that would bother "the 32" more than another Lombardi for BB/TB would be a ratings drop-off that flattens or lowers the TV revenues.

RED ZONE

RED ZONE

RED ZONE

Though I am in a self imposed boycott of non-Pats football, my kid watches....RED ZONE and only RED ZONE. Sure, RED ZONE doesn't eat into night games, but one has to assume RED ZONE is eating away at day time viewership........so we got that going for us...which is nice. Eff the money grubbing NFL

PS.....dressing up teams in hideous colors is sure to please fans

People like to tune in to watch or listen to people they hate. How many of you bozos listen to Felger and Mazz and then complain about them?

The Patriots without Brady aren't the same draw.

I think this combination of there being no Brady and no Manning had something to do with it. BIG hit to the quarterback star power factor, which is what many people tune into see. Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, etc just don't have the same draw.

The only football I watched was the last third of the Patriots game. It wasn't deliberate, I actually just decided I was more interested in going shopping on Sunday. Before Kraft's capitulation I would have been glued to the TV morning till night. But that was back before I was made to feel like a fool for thinking there was still something honest and pure to the game.

And yes I'm bitter that the sport has been tainted for me.

Let's not forget the possibility of overexposure. From ****ty national games ( don't tell me the Cowboys - Giants deserve as many SNFs as they get), trying to turn the draft into an event, concussions, and constant manufactured controversies, Goodell has done everything he can to water down the product or piss in it.

We've got a HUGE labor war coming in 2020 and maybe earlier if things get worse.

However, it marked a steep 18% decline in the advertiser-friendly 18-49 demographic compared to last year’s September 13 opener.

Damn, hope that's the start of a long-term trend. Keep it up, guys. SNF was the only game I watched on cable/satellite this week, and going forward I won't even do that now that I've found a streaming solution I'm satisfied with.

shrug.gif

For the week, the NFL pulled a 0.0 at my place.

It's not just certain Pats fans not watching the games. There are people boycotting the NFL because of all the kneeling instead of standing for the pledge of allegiance. I don't know how you sit/kneel on 9/11 (Dolphins). That's too much. And this is coming from a black man.
It's a lot of things. I did not watch Thursday or Monday at all. I had the Jets/Bengals on while I was doing other things in the same room. I paused the Pats game and fast forwarded through it. Monday on my commute I tuned in to hear about the great game and instead heard about how OK Jimmy G. was and how douchey some of Tom's ball washers were and ... changed the station. This is not new. I used to watch NFL Network and all the pre/post shows. No more. I'm all gated out. I'm Tebowed out. I'm all Samed out. I did not hear or see one NFL supporting ad this weekend. I ate about half the food and drank about a fourth the been I used to. It's not a boycott. It's just that the NFL is starting to remind me of Rosie O'Donnell.

I think this combination of there being no Brady and no Manning had something to do with it. BIG hit to the quarterback star power factor, which is what many people tune into see. Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, etc just don't have the same draw.
I think that's probably it. People watch for players and great games and the NFL had two of the all time greats. The executives figured it was because of something they did when it was in spite of what they did.

Goodell is like a rain dancer figuring his moves made any difference. Luckily these guys are dumb enough that they will also try to exercise the demons if ratings go down.

Why can't people just watch football or not watch football.....simple choice really and eliminates the need for utter ********

So here is a scenario I would like to see.

Goodell sees the ratings drop and decides to unsuspend Brady. He doesn't say that is the reason of course, he says something like "I have made my point, and I am reducing the penalty to something consistent with an equipment violation."

Wouldn't it be outstanding if Brady declined the reduction and sat for three more weeks anyway?

The NFL* would be totally stunned by that, but what could they do? It would have an interesting affect on the narrative, but the Pats already won the most difficult game.

The Pats have a pretty good chance to win the next three games with Jimmy. Jimmy improves his trade value and chances of getting a future starting gig somewhere, and Brady continues resting and getting ready to return as planned.

Why should Brady help the NFL* out?

What could the NFL* do?

Order Brady to play?

Ratings Down for Every Game but One.

All metrics were down with the exception of the late-afternoon Sunday game, thanks to another Week One Giants-Cowboys contest...

At a time when the NFL has its eyes on other countries because it regards the United State as saturated, maybe it’s time to focus on pumping more water into the domestic sponge

Link

Week One ratings were generally down

Damn, hope that's the start of a long-term trend. Keep it up, guys. SNF was the only game I watched on cable/satellite this week, and going forward I won't even do that now that I've found a streaming solution I'm satisfied with.

For some reason, I passed right over the numbers in the article the first time around. 18% is a MASSIVE drop.

Didn't see the other thread. Looks like more info, though. Every game but one...

All metrics were down with the exception of the late-afternoon Sunday game, thanks to another Week One Giants-Cowboys contest...

At a time when the NFL has its eyes on other countries because it regards the United State as saturated, maybe it’s time to focus on pumping more water into the domestic sponge

Link

Week One ratings were generally down

Interesting article. I was surprised it was the Patriots game that had the biggest drop at 18%.

Interesting article. I was surprised it was the Patriots game that had the biggest drop at 18%.

Why? Have you not been reading the threads from those of us who are refusing to pay to watch the NYJFL gotohell travesty league in operation (at least thru suspension)? Free untabulated-to-ratings watching, ok --watching from home/other counted source, NO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft