PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL ratings were down for the opener/Sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article. I was surprised it was the Patriots game that had the biggest drop at 18%.

No Brady? Actually, cost them money and won the game and, hopefully, gave Brady a nice working vacation.

Why? Have you not been reading the threads from those of us who are refusing to pay to watch the NYJFL gotohell travesty league in operation (at least thru suspension)? Free untabulated-to-ratings watching, ok --watching from home/other counted source, NO.

Liking the tactic--the only way to impress on the league fan dissatisfaction is hitting them in the pocketbook. It's sparking good discussion, too. The comments around the web seem to show some people thinking it's the anthem issue, but most are thinking (rightly, I believe) it's the absence of Brady that caused the steep decline. The game itself was very good, nail-biter that went right until the final second. Would have attracted and held a huge audience had the league's marquee player been in.

It's not just certain Pats fans not watching the games. There are people boycotting the NFL because of all the kneeling instead of standing for the pledge of allegiance. I don't know how you sit/kneel on 9/11 (Dolphins). That's too much. And this is coming from a black man.

I agree. Just because you can does not mean you should.

The real civil rights workers of the 60s had a plan and an object in view. These cheap kneeling demonstrations have no object in view except to make the doer feel good, while dividing us. The US race relations are infinitely advanced over the 50s and 60s. Stepin Fetchit are long gone. Intermarraige rates are way up , a sure sign of asorption into the society as a whole and common in every ethnic absorption. We even elected a black man as President.

If you want to accomplish something, adopt a charter school and help it with some of your money, like Martin Luther King did. Or act as a mentor to a young kid who needs a father figure. These nihilistic sitting efforts only divide your team and fans.

Don't kill the goose who lays the golden eggs. Turned off TV viewers could kill TV ratings that fund your League and your salaries.

Who wants to watch the Brady-less Gronk-less Pats get blown out by the Super Bowl- bound Cardinals? It might be fun to watch them get humiliated for a little while, but it'll just be a massacre.:p Nah, I'll just skip it!!

Though not intentional, I may have contributed to this too

Nobody's hitting the NFL anywhere....their TV contracts runs through 2022 and the total is relatively fixed at $39.6B

keep at it though.....

So then in 100 years it will be okay to kneel or sit during the 9/11 anthem, because it won't be recent anymore? Just trying to understand.

What is so difficult to understand? If a game is played on Dec 7, reverence to the flag has more meaning, same on July the 4th, Veterans day, 9-11etc.

Cheating on your spouse is disrespectful to him/her, cheating on your wedding anniversary is worse.

One of those TV's was definitely in ReverendMaynard's house. He was watching. He always watches.

Nobody's hitting the NFL anywhere....their TV contracts runs through 2022 and the total is relatively fixed at $39.6B

keep at it though.....

Why do you say that, TV deals historically always had buy backs. Advertising is sold on rating points. The networks don't get money, they put pressure on the NFL for rebates. The NFL can't give rebates without the players consent, unless they take it all out of their 50%.

A business needs is customers to also make money. The nfl does not want to go market individual teams selling directly to customer via cable or web in '22. The big teams will not want to share their money raised in thier markets with small market teams. like the baseball market.

Any idea the monetary cost of the 18% decline on Sunday night in that age bracket?

Maybe the steady drip of Goodellian nonsense finally overflowed the bathtub, especially with those viewers that the League has been working to engage: young people and women...

I'm probably leaving out a few because the list is so long:
The treatment of Sean Payton.
The hypocrisy of the Ray Rice fiasco.
The visibility of the Adrian Petersen case.
The continued denial of CTE.
Josh Brown's wife makes 20 reports of spousal abuse, the league suspends him for one game and the Giants keep him on the roster.
The crazed pursuit of Tom Brady, visibly associated with a high profile, very popular and very powerful woman, for an "offense" that never occurred.
I doubt that a few players kneeling, sitting or joining arms during the National Anthem had much if anything to do with it.

Why do you say that, TV deals historically always had buy backs. Advertising is sold on rating points. The networks don't get money, they put pressure on the NFL for rebates. The NFL can't give rebates without the players consent, unless they take it all out of their 50%.

A business needs is customers to also make money. The nfl does not want to go market individual teams selling directly to customer via cable or web in '22. The big teams will not want to share their money raised in thier markets with small market teams. like the baseball market.

The NFL even gets paid if there's a strike........

It's called a contract..........these rebates you speak of are a fantasy.....they can 'pressure' the NFL all they like

feel free to hold your breath until 2022.......in the meantime, I'll be waiting to see the empty seats

NFL makes enormous 'Thursday Night Football' deal with NBC and CBS

NFL teams split $7.24 billion in revenue

National Football League on television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

herein lies my only point........watch if you want to or don't watch if you don't want to.......but to sit and think and blather on about how your anger will take down the NFL because Brady was wronged is insanely distant fantasy

one week the ratings are off and everybody is 'ohhhhh......ohhhhh.....look at this' ..... trust me, it has nothing to do with Brady or deflategate........compare the actual game from week 1 2015 to week 1 2016, and you'll see much more logic

can't just walk away.....people have to sit there with fists clenched, living for retribution.......how fun

Last edited:
boycotting the Pats games =
rF80VzM.gif

there was another part to this that's more accurate, but it's too inappropriate to post here

The debut of “Thursday Night Football” on CBS looks to be down from the 2015 Thursday opener. The New York Jets-Buffalo Bills game posted a 3.8 rating in adults 18-49, pending updates, down a point and a half from the preliminary 5.3 for the same night last year.

EDIT:
The HH was 9.1, down 36.3% from last year which was 14.3 HH.

Last edited:
The debut of “Thursday Night Football” on CBS looks to be down from the 2015 Thursday opener. The New York Jets-Buffalo Bills game posted a 3.8 rating in adults 18-49, pending updates, down a point and a half from the preliminary 5.3 for the same night last year.

But...but COLOR RUSH!

That's a 28% drop.

Yea but in the Boston market, I just heard on zo & bertrand the game did a 9. It was more watched than the Sox-Yankees game.

Good.
I couldn't be happier.
And remember NY is a large market franchise.

Nice job Roger Goodell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back