PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL has suspended Josh Gordon indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if we can't have him...

Last edited:
I am no expert but just speculating here. Experts who have knowledge on the topic wondered if he could both go clean and compete in the NFL. Perhaps the medicine you need to take to help your medical issues hinders competing at the highest levels of sports. Certainly many non athletes have stopped taking the proper RX due to how crappy or increasingly suicidal they felt and went back to self medicating.

So for those rooting for him, myself included, perhaps away from football his doctors can find the proper RX and support to help him as he goes forward. Even better if he finds the right balance and uses his well spoken demeanor to lecture and help others on the support side of it.

I believe it is a spiritual problem. A spiritual emptiness inside that needs filling. It is a fact that Christian centered rehab approaches are the most successful but cant get gov. funding so they have secular psychobabble approaches that are much less effective.

I believe it is a spiritual problem. A spiritual emptiness inside that needs filling. It is a fact that Christian centered rehab approaches are the most successful but cant get gov. funding so they have secular psychobabble approaches that are much less effective.

Yup. That's the issue.

The way Kathie Lee needed Regis and all that.

Nicotine is actually mind-altering.....just not in the way other vices are.
More mood altering than mind but valid point. Similar to caffeine but more addictive

just like conversion therapy

Yeah, Josh is a great guy for taking a dump on 3 teams that bent over backwards so he could succeed in life.

His beloved Superbowl ring will be up for grabs on Pawn Stars in about 18 months.

who said he was a great guy?

To all the poster who said "you can't count on Gordon for the whole season", you were right and I was wrong.

I was hoping that he could slay his demons, I feel bad for him, but on the football side, you just can not waste the capital on him anymore.

I guess I also have to admit that the Pats knew what they were doing when they went out and got Sanu and jettisoned Gordon.

it's called optimism........don't lose it or else you will be pining for vermin like AB

On a personal note, I identify with Gordon’s struggles because I am also an addict. It’s that simple. I’m fortunate in that I no longer suffer from active substance addiction.

As a matter of fact, it was 30 years since my last drink/drug last week. I don’t say that to brag but so that other members can see it is possible. I am no more deserving of sobriety than the millions still suffering. It’s something I have to deal with as long as I’m above ground.

So I understand in a very personal way exactly what Josh feels, thinks and experiences. I understand how he can put all his strength and effort into being a better person only to fail time after time. I also know well the lack of self esteem that results from letting everyone down...especially myself.

I know what it feels like to feel like a loser and wonder why I’m different than most. The worst feeling I experienced was coming to realization I was going to die young or just be a bum.

I also know how it feels to be freed from addiction and slowly rebuild my life. To see how people look at me differently today is worth more than money can buy.

The bottom line for me is that I believe Josh is a good guy and I know he can experience what I’ve experienced.

I can’t criticize, mock or joke about him because he’s just like me. But I’m sure people mocked and made jokes about me as well. But thankfully I don’t recall that happening

We were in the Josh camp last year. Felt bad when he offended his way off the 2018 Pats a year ago. At the time, thought the team had blown its shot at the SB. Was happy to see him on the team this year. Expected to see him develop as a more complete route runner. When that failed to materialize perhaps that could have been a leading indicator of something wrong. When BB unexpectedly (to me at least) cut him I figured that some behind the scenes conduct detrimental to the team behavior was the issue. I did not expect him to last through the playoffs with Seattle.
Can't imagine what it takes to stay clean when seriously addicted. My simple addiction to 1-3 cigs a day habit at work took me nearly a dozen tries and as many years to stay off the tebackie.

Snowflakes now calling everything virtue signaling, it's an interesting development.

Always nice to see that all the upvotes on ******ed comments like the one from that poster come from people on your ignore list.

We were in the Josh camp last year. Felt bad when he offended his way off the 2018 Pats a year ago. At the time, thought the team had blown its shot at the SB. Was happy to see him on the team this year. Expected to see him develop as a more complete route runner. When that failed to materialize perhaps that could have been a leading indicator of something wrong. When BB unexpectedly (to me at least) cut him I figured that some behind the scenes conduct detrimental to the team behavior was the issue. I did not expect him to last through the playoffs with Seattle.
Can't imagine what it takes to stay clean when seriously addicted. My simple addiction to 1-3 cigs a day habit at work took me nearly a dozen tries and as many years to stay off the tebackie.

I had a very similar experience. I'm glad I quit those few cigs/day in 2005 and now I kind of want to start it up again.

On a personal note, I identify with Gordon’s struggles because I am also an addict. It’s that simple. I’m fortunate in that I no longer suffer from active substance addiction.

As a matter of fact, it was 30 years since my last drink/drug last week. I don’t say that to brag but so that other members can see it is possible. I am no more deserving of sobriety than the millions still suffering. It’s something I have to deal with as long as I’m above ground.

So I understand in a very personal way exactly what Josh feels, thinks and experiences. I understand how he can put all his strength and effort into being a better person only to fail time after time. I also know well the lack of self esteem that results from letting everyone down...especially myself.

I know what it feels like to feel like a loser and wonder why I’m different than most. The worst feeling I experienced was coming to realization I was going to die young or just be a bum.

I also know how it feels to be freed from addiction and slowly rebuild my life. To see how people look at me differently today is worth more than money can buy.

The bottom line for me is that I believe Josh is a good guy and I know he can experience what I’ve experienced.

I can’t criticize, mock or joke about him because he’s just like me. But I’m sure people mocked and made jokes about me as well. But thankfully I don’t recall that happening

You of all people should be disgusted with Gordon. Gordon does not care if he becomes a bum.

And, no, youre not a loser until you quit. You win everyday.

You of all people should be disgusted with Gordon. Gordon does not care if he becomes a bum.

So an addict who beats their demons (or at least learns how to keep them at bay) should be at the front of the shame line when another addict hasn't reached the same station in life?

Interesting concept. I would actually expect recovered/ing addicts to be more sympathetic, not less, to those further down the recovery funnel than themselves; as they know first hand the struggle, but what do I know.

The Ted Haggard approach never really spoke to me.

So an addict who beats their demons (or at least learns how to keep them at bay) should be at the front of the shame line when another addict hasn't reached the same station in life?

Interesting concept. I would actually expect recovered/ing addicts to be more sympathetic, not less, to those further down the recovery funnel than themselves; as they know first hand the struggle, but what do I know.

The Ted Haggard approach never really spoke to me.

Agreed

Gordon is the way he is because his next town has a group of enablers willing and ready to tell him that its not his fault. Gordon quit on the Browns, the Patriots and his big chance to play in a post season game and the Seahawks who I expect to be in this upcoming Super Bowl.

As I stated before, take Gordon into your home when he falls into homelessness. Talk is cheap.

Agreed

Gordon is the way he is because his next town has a group of enablers willing and ready to tell him that its not his fault. Gordon quit on the Browns, the Patriots and his big chance to play in a post season game and the Seahawks who I expect to be in this upcoming Super Bowl.

As I stated before, take Gordon into your home when he falls into homelessness. Talk is cheap.

LOL

Your world is too binary Triumph. A person can have empathy without being an enabler. In every thread on Flash; going back a couple of years on this site, I have never seen anyone take an enabling position; people who have defended him (I am one) defend him from the position of "he's sick and needs help" or a "its very sad" or "I hope he gets the help he clearly needs" POV. That's hardy enabling self destructive behavior.

The human condition is hardy ever as black and white as you make it out; rather life, and the people which fill it; is and are full of nuance.

Flash has had a number of opportunities to get right. He hasn't. He must now, seemingly once and for all, (rightfully) face the consequences of those decisions; in the form of losing his place in the NFL. What could have been....

Your constant approach to Flash in the numerous threads on him here has been, at best, one of toxic masculinity, alpha-dude-bro-ism, holier than thou, stone throwing.

Maybe it's how "the fan" manifests in you vs me where the difference lies. Maybe its our differing views on civics and society more broadly. I don't know. But I do know that under the helmet and pads, there is a human being; who while blessed with physical talents I could only ever dream to have, and the great benefit of monetizing those talents for a brief period of time, is still a human with human failings.

I see that and feel sadness for the person. You see that and feel your next Barstool Comment Section joke coming on...

As for your closing line, give me a break. That line was silly when it was played on a different sub-forum on this site just as it is here and now. That is and never has been the bar for honest concern.

I actually didn’t care either. I was afraid more than I cared. I think only an addict can understand what Gordon is going through

Also, I only “win” through complete surrender. I can admit freely that I could never “beat” addiction. It is far more powerful than I am.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference