PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

For the same general reason that most of these reaches occur: Bill's attempt to show the league that he's the smartest guy in the (draft) room, when in fact he's one of the least-informed.

And just to be clear, again, my criticism of the Strange69 pick at #29 has little to do with his ability as a starting-caliber LG on a legit contender; it has mostly to do with his availability at a later point in the draft so that #29 could've been spent on one of the CBs or DE George Karlafits (and #54 on Travis Jones), positions where I feel we needed the most help...

#85 is where I would've started looking for Strange69... same as the HC of the reigning Champion LARs... and if he was unavailable then oh well there are other fish in that pond too...
Why do you insist on rambling like this? It's already been prove that Stange was NOT going to be there at #85. He wouldn't have been available at 50 either. He wasn't getting past the Vikings at 42. Hell, it's unlikely he was getting past TB at #33. So how the hell would you have started lookng at him at 85 when he'd have been long gone?

So, in YOUR world, you'd have not taken Strange and then started your b!tching about not having solidified the O-line by adding a competent Guard. Got it.

It's already been prove that Stange was NOT going to be there at #85. He wouldn't have been available at 50 either. He wasn't getting past the Vikings at 42. Hell, it's unlikely he was getting past TB at #33.
Huh? Bowles talked about players they were looking at #27 still being available so they traded back into Rd 2. They were always going Defense w/ their first pick.

Pennel is >>> Carl's Junior Davis; and for the money is > Godsmack too.
I liked Pennel and thought he could have contributed but I don't think he bought in to the Patriots Way. I believe he had a decent year at some point after his min-stint with the Pats.

Pennel is >>> Carl's Junior Davis; and for the money is > Godsmack too.
Pennel teams in each of the last 5 seasons have been 21st or worse in run defense
You should just type “every one not on the patriots is better than every one on the patriots” cut and paste and you can post your thoughts 10 times faster.

Huh? Bowles talked about players they were looking at #27 still being available so they traded back into Rd 2. They were always going Defense w/ their first pick.

HUH? You do realize that your logic makes no sense, right? Is your Belichick hatred so strong that it is leading to brain cell apoptosis?

They were always going defense with their first round pick? Really? Show us some concrete evidence that this is true. Spending hours every day in the Tom Brady forum in order to keep up with the latest news about your favorite team doesn’t make you a Bucs insider. You seem to be using that Bowles’ interview as evidence, so let’s look at exactly what he said, shall we?

“We had a few players at 27 that we targeted,” Bowles said. “Moving back to 33, which was the first one today, we had one guy left there. The other ones went off the board, so it would not have been smart to trade back down and lose the guy we wanted.”

So, when they were on the clock at 27, there were a few players that they had rated similarly, so they felt comfortable trading down to 33 and by 33 Hall was the only one left. He says that they liked “a few players“, NOT “a few defensive players”. Tthey apparently lied to Cine and told him that they were going to take him if he was available at 27, so we can safely assume that he was one of the guys that they liked. We don’t come have her, no the identity of the other players or even how many players they liked at 27.

Math was never my strongest subject in school but I do believe that I am correct in saying that pick number 29 is later than 27,
1655250275281.gif
so it is entirely possible that Strange was one of the “other ones (who) went off of the board” by the time 33 rolled around.

Why would Strange be on their radar? Well, he was a highly rated LG who oozes upside/potential, and LG was a position that clearly was at or near the top of the Bucs draft priorities list, given that they drafted Goedeke at 57.

Now you go. We’ll wait.

Bill go get this bad MFer.

Bill go get this bad MFer.

They would have to do some major restructuring of his contract. Quinn’s base salary each of the next three years is about $13-14 million ($12.8 million this year). Even with 18.5 sacks last year, that is a crapload for a 32 year old LB /DE who has been inconsistent throughout his career. When he is on, he is a stud. But he has had many years where he has underachieved.

They would have to do some major restructuring of his contract. Quinn’s base salary each of the next three years is about $13-14 million ($12.8 million this year). Even with 18.5 sacks last year, that is a crapload for a 32 year old LB /DE who has been inconsistent throughout his career. When he is on, he is a stud. But he has had many years where he has underachieved.
Wgaf about the cap. Pats are loaded next year, push it forward.

Judon-Quinn would wreak havoc.

Wgaf about the cap. Pats are loaded next year, push it forward.

Judon-Quinn would wreak havoc.

I am not against it per se. I would be a little worried about Quinn’s consistency and age. But if Judon can go back to what he was before the bye last year and Quinn can repeat his last year, at least in theory, they would be one of the best outside rushing duo in the league, if not the best. But I am just stating there is a risk that the Pats get the underachieving Quinn.

The Pats do have two draft picks in each of the third and fourth rounds next year along with the comp pick they will get for Jackson which most like will be a third (obviously they can’t trade that since they won’t have it until next year, but it makes it easier to give up several picks they have). So they have the draft capital for a trade.

Consistent isn't the right word. He's always been a consistent performer. He's just the definition of "injury prone" and has a rep or its understood you have to really take care of him during the week. Days off, lots of self-care to get himself right. Which really isn't a big deal. Every team has a few of those guys. If he plays he's producing. It's just getting him on the field and making sure he's healthy that's the big part.

100 + sacks, 107 TFL and 173 QB hits in 11 years though, he's pretty consistent.

I am not against it per se. I would be a little worried about Quinn’s consistency and age. But if Judon can go back to what he was before the bye last year and Quinn can repeat his last year, at least in theory, they would be one of the best outside rushing duo in the league, if not the best. But I am just stating there is a risk that the Pats get the underachieving Quinn.

The Pats do have two draft picks in each of the third and fourth rounds next year along with the comp pick they will get for Jackson which most like will be a third (obviously they can’t trade that since they won’t have it until next year, but it makes it easier to give up several picks they have). So they have the draft capital for a trade.

We traded one 2023 3rd round pick for Parker.

We traded one 2023 3rd round pick for Parker.
Parker and a mid 5th rd pick.

They still have the Panthers 3rd (which should be a high 3rd), and will be awarded a 3rd rd comp pick for JC.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back