PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

I’m guessing Cincy
Would make sense, Cincy really only neees to prove their O Line, so they’ll likely do it. Patriots are going to replace spare parts with more spare parts so they can fill out a roster

does this mean they are all in on brown, and seattle is just a kick the tires?

I do see your point. I woukd guess that at least half the fans on this forum feel as frustrated as I do. I will take a break and see what moves are made. Maybe one of the reasons you seem so angry about my post is that deep down you have the same frustration and disappointment but you can’t come to grips with it

I am not looking to ruin anyone else’s experience on this forum but trying to gauge whether some fans on the forum feel the same way. Obviously you do not. Noted
And I'll bet most of them go and watch Felger and Mazz all the time.

That's the weird thing about frustration (anger)...it's addictive. Marketers know it, talk radio and cable news live on it. Makes them $$$$$.

And victimizes the audience into misery, and into worse (when we see this formula affected real-world politics).

I don’t understand. How is “borrowing” money from next years cap to get a guy today not better than waiting until next year to sorbs the exact same money?
Guys get hurt and regress all the time. How does that support saying we could get a player today to make our team better but it’s better to wait until next year. When, by the way, he will be more expensive because the cap goes up.

This isn’t “mortgaging the future” it’s shifting the cap dollars from next year to this year to get a cornerstone player now to get better now.
I hear you man...it is like a dollar TODAY being more valuable than a dollar a year from today.

But my argument is investing that dollar today for the future when the team will have better players to target AND essentially be the only buyer (how many teams will have the cap space that we have for 2023?). This is a deep draft for CBs....let the market come to us and fill holes with bargains/draftees. We can also upgrade at the trading deadline as well...

So you expect that every free agent works out perfectly?

Of course receivers production was hampered by a rookie qb being held back early in the season. But we ended up #6 in scoring, # 2 in % of drives scored on. The complete utter overhaul of the offense was a rousing success.
New, rookie QB
2 new TEs
2 of top 3 WRs new
2 OL brought in new
New rb2

It is ridiculous to think anything better than that could be expected.
Overall the return was excellent. Nitpicking over individual players is meaningless if Agholor caught 100 passes abs Meyer caught 10 would that really make a difference? Other than what gets cried about?
The scoring number got inflated with the 104 points scored against the Jets and Jaguars at home. They averaged 52 point in those two games and 23.8 points against everyone else, which would have had them at 16th.

The scoring percentage is an interesting stat. Can't get much better than 2nd. I think red zone TD% is the best number to look at and the Patriots were 11th there which isn't bad. There were some encouraging things about the offense and they should only get better with more experience together however they really need a #1 receiver and a better slot receiver to make a significant step forward.

I also think it's fair to say we could have expected better from individual players... for instance Henry looks to be a reliable red zone target but I don't think he'll be all that productive in between the 20s... that's where Smith's production really needs to pick up but there wasn't much encouraging about his play all season. The two 3rd round TEs look like bad draft picks. Agholor was a complete disappointment while Bourne exceeded expectations. Meyers is 4th or 5th receiver. Harris and Stevenson couldn't have been expected to do more. Even Bolden was a representative replacement for White. Not much more could have been expected of the rookie QB.

Tough to evaluate the team as a whole since their season breaks down into three distinct segments:
2-4 beginning
7-0 middle
1-4 ending

They weren't as bad as the 2-4 starts looks because they easily could have won 2 more of them (Miami for sure). They caught a lot of breaks during the winning steak with opponents injuries, the wind storm, and a pretty soft schedule there otherwise. The 1-4 finish is obviously concerning, especially the big losses to Buffalo, who are an even better team now from the end of the season.

Collins being released by Dallas. Fits a need...

and realistically they cannot build a SB caliber roster this year with a 2nd year mac.....that's just logic.....they are playing a multi-year build to be a legit superbowl contender, period....
Like they couldn’t in 2001? There have been many teams to get to or win a SB with lesser or young QBs.
No way does a team say we can get better but we don’t want to because next year is our year.

But again even if you are playing for 23 how is bringing in a guy now instead of next year, to grow the offense worse than throwing a skid out there for a year and making a new guy figure it out in the year you want him to be great?

I hear you man...it is like a dollar TODAY being more valuable than a dollar a year from today.

But my argument is investing that dollar today for the future when the team will have better players to target AND essentially be the only buyer (how many teams will have the cap space that we have for 2023?). This is a deep draft for CBs....let the market come to us and fill holes with bargains/draftees. We can also upgrade at the trading deadline as well...
There will be a ton of cap space next year.

So let’s use 2 players.
Trent Brown and Allen Robinson.

We should sign them now instead of playing Justin Herron and Nkeal Harry and waiting to see who we could get next year. We will already have them and not need to Sign those players next year and we will have a very good offense.

Just a reminder: Mac will be on the cheap cap for another 4-5years. Still has things to prove.
No rush needed.
Its a 2y league contract wise. Only draftees 4-5y.
Competitive? Yes.
All in? No.

Didn't make sense to me Re-sign Trent Brown they are identical players.

Collins being released by Dallas. Fits a need...
We undoubtedly need help at the position. We'd now be competing to sign him without giving up a pick or player.

The scoring number got inflated with the 104 points scored against the Jets and Jaguars at home. They averaged 52 point in those two games and 23.8 points against everyone else, which would have had them at 16th.

The scoring percentage is an interesting stat. Can't get much better than 2nd. I think red zone TD% is the best number to look at and the Patriots were 11th there which isn't bad. There were some encouraging things about the offense and they should only get better with more experience together however they really need a #1 receiver and a better slot receiver to make a significant step forward.

I also think it's fair to say we could have expected better from individual players... for instance Henry looks to be a reliable red zone target but I don't think he'll be all that productive in between the 20s... that's where Smith's production really needs to pick up but there wasn't much encouraging about his play all season. The two 3rd round TEs look like bad draft picks. Agholor was a complete disappointment while Bourne exceeded expectations. Meyers is 4th or 5th receiver. Harris and Stevenson couldn't have been expected to do more. Even Bolden was a representative replacement for White. Not much more could have been expected of the rookie QB.

Tough to evaluate the team as a whole since their season breaks down into three distinct segments:
2-4 beginning
7-0 middle
1-4 ending

They weren't as bad as the 2-4 starts looks because they easily could have won 2 more of them (Miami for sure). They caught a lot of breaks during the winning steak with opponents injuries, the wind storm, and a pretty soft schedule there otherwise. The 1-4 finish is obviously concerning, especially the big losses to Buffalo, who are an even better team now from the end of the season.
All that aside it is undeniable that a team that started the offseason with Newton as QB, NKeal Harry as a starting WR, asiasi as the #1 TE, no one at RT, and no one behind Harris at RB went out and got all those pieces and the results were way better than anyone could have expected as of March.

The Pats should pounce on him. Granted he will likely be looking for a raise.
The patriots just saved a draft pick. I thought that we might trade for Collins.

Rumor is there is zero chance we are signing him.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back