PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Holy overpay. Wow.

Hmmmm, interesting….Did Robert take the pocketbook away from Bill after last years off-season spending spree? Maybe this has nothing to do with the cap at all. With even more money set to pour in soon when the new TV contracts begin, kicking the can down the road with contract restructures should become increasingly less problematic. Is crafty Bobby just tired of writing big checks?

After all, revenue was way down in 2020 and he does have to pay for his major stadium renovation, which will do nothing for the team from a competitive standpoint but will make the bigwigs happy because they won't have to interact with the little people anymore and will make the alcoholics happy because they have another place to drink during games?
There are still some top receivers and D line out there.
I’m most worried right now about Mac Jones health in this O line.

Not looking good for the home team... We have a lot of holes to fill....

Can we Trade for Dawson Knocks then?? Von Miller now OJ Howard.
He has name recognition but what has OJ Howard ever done in his NFL career thus far to elicit a “now OJ Howard!?” hand-wringing reaction?

The correct answer is nothing.

Top edge left: Clowny & Ingram

@Miguel does this mean Shaq's cap hit stays on the Pats until trade is completed?

He has name recognition but what has OJ Howard ever done in his NFL career thus far to elicit a “now OJ Howard!?” hand-wringing reaction?

The correct answer is nothing.
Well he averaged 7.9 receiving yards per game last year.

Von isn't an overpay. They are in win now mode and they just got a difference maker for their biggest weakness. Right now the AFC East is the Bills division. That's just a fact. We didn't win it the last two years and they look better right now and we look worse right now than last year.

Normally I try and find the silver lining and look for the positives amongst other things in life, this free agency is really testing my abilities to do that.

I can understand letting JC Jackson go, as we were never going to pay him. However what I cannot understand letting Shaq Mason go though, especially for only a 5th rounder. If it was for cap space, then just cut Henry Anderson and sign Jake Bailey to an extension, that would of saved us 6m or close to it in cap space if that was the issue. Now we also have the issue that big Trent Brown by the sounds of things could be on his way out, Seattle seem to be interested in him.

I know it’s only March and we have a long way to go, but we seem to be in a bit of a mess. We have a promising QB who could be absolutely beaten up if we don’t have our O-Line sorted out. We seem to have a very mismatched coaching staff, with several position groups not having a coaching staff assigned to it.

There just seems to be a lot and I mean a lot of holes within this team and I’m not sure how we are going to go about fixing them and who we can bring in to ideally help us along these next few months.

I didn’t expect us to be huge in free agency, but the I honestly thought we would of been slightly more active.

Someone please give me some hope..

Von isn't an overpay. They are in win now mode and they just got a difference maker for their biggest weakness. Right now the AFC East is the Bills division. That's just a fact. We didn't win it the last two years and they look better right now and we look worse right now than last year.

He is a vast overpay in this market no matter what mode. They felt they needed impactful edge and he was the last standing of that mold.
Home team Rams were very much in and the only outcome of that kind of battle is vast overpay.

I admire BUF roster building 5y+. This move is rare combo of overreaction (Vons resurrection in playoffs) and panic (losing again vs KC).
It is also the move that somewhat negates huge investments at the position in the last 2 Drafts (3 top picks for Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham).

6 years 120 million on a 32 year old LB.
He may have 2 good years left.
Crazy.

However what I cannot understand letting Shaq Mason go though, especially for only a 5th rounder. If it was for cap space

Shaq trade was not for cap but contract. All contracts wo guaranteed money are just smoke. Agents will have players hold out until guarantees are given. Coming from a strong season a raise in pay will also be asked. Similar situation to Gilmore 2y ago.

Someone please give me some hope..

The best is yet to come..

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents