PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

The Lions have exhausted all options with Flowers putting him all over the field, but he just flat out sucked. The defense got worse since his arrival. He is one of the worst FA signings of all time. Dave Birkett is going easy on him. I called this during the season (either trade before the deadline or release in the offseason).

With that being said, I wouldn't mind him here on the cheap as a 4-3 End because teams will be paying attention to Judon and Barmore, but Bill won't switch to a 4-3. Wherever he goes, he needs to go to a team that won't pay attention to him.

Matt Pratricia signed him Flowers in Detroit and Trey earned more than $50 million guaranteed in those years away from the Patriots. I know he's had a series of injuries but if he can stay healthy he can really contribute to our D-Line and given his lack of availability for the Lions he's probably not gonna be demanding a huge salary. Sign him up Bill.

Question is if he’s still the same player he was in NE. He could always play the run well, and we really could use that. If he still has something in the tank, could be a great signing to pair opposite of Judon.

My question and hesitation though - It’s not like he went to a random team and didn’t play well. He went to Matt Patricia’s team in 2019 and 2020. Why was Patricia not able to get the same production out of him there that they were able to get out of him here?
Flowers played well his first year in Detroit. He recorded seven sacks that year which is the number of sacks he averaged per season in NE. Injuries got him the next two years ending up on IR both times. His contract was a massive overpay by the Lions but what are NFL players meant to do - tell the teams not to pay them so much?

My question and hesitation though - It’s not like he went to a random team and didn’t play well. He went to Matt Patricia’s team in 2019 and 2020. Why was Patricia not able to get the same production out of him there that they were able to get out of him here?
Because he was paid to be the headliner on Defense when that was never his game. He was always a complimentary pass rusher, but solid run defender. He was more effective in New England because the secondary was arguably among the best and had more quality supporting cast. It also helped when his offense was in control of almost every game.

It's well known Patricia was so desperate of losing the locker room, he laughably made Flowers one of the highest paid defenders in the NFL to be the buffer among the other players. The defense got worse since his arrival. He never made an any impact on D.

Last edited:
Flowers played well his first year in Detroit.
No he didn't. Those sacks were piled on when the season was out of reach. He was berated by the local media his first year as he was a no show for the first half. I know this because I followed his career after that ridiculous contract he got.

No he didn't. Those sacks were piled on when the season was out of reach. He was berated by the local media his first year as he was a no show for most of it. I know this because I followed his career after that ridiculous contract he got.

Maybe flower’s suckage in Detroit was due to the lack of quality coaching flowers had in Detroit!

Maybe flower’s suckage in Detroit was due to the lack of quality coaching flowers had in Detroit!
Well, a lot of us would agree he didn't have a good Coach in Detroit and was an overrated D Coordinator.

Before he was a FA, Evan Lazar reported Trey Flowers had the most unblocked pressures in 2018. He still only managed 7.5 sacks. Sounds quite impossible to not record at least 10 sacks in today's game when being put in that position by Bill. Yet, he somehow became one of the highest paid players at his position.

He was huge for us in both sb runs. still in his 20s gotta be worth a look

No he didn't. Those sacks were piled on when the season was out of reach. He was berated by the local media his first year as he was a no show for the first half. I know this because I followed his career after that ridiculous contract he got.
Yep couldn't agree more he owes Fat Matt one I'm confident he's coming back here.:cool:

Mack isn't the dominant player he was several years ago, but still a very good pass rusher.

Why has Mack's stock fallen so sharply? The Bears gave up an absurd amount of draft capital and gave him the exact contract that presumably is the reason why he didn't cost much in draft capital today.

$85 million in CAP hits for the next three years - all on the wrong side of 30. Still, it's probably worth the risk for the Chargers, and if he can play well with Bosa, look out AFCW QBs.

Why has Mack's stock fallen so sharply? The Bears gave up an absurd amount of draft capital and gave him the exact contract that presumably is the reason why he didn't cost much in draft capital today.
Good thing the Bears gave up all that capital to win...oh.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back