PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

Even if (likely) the Peppers deal is heavily incentivized, we're still tight enough to the cap that another restructure is almost guaranteed somewhere.
We'll need about $10M or so to cover costs from the Draft through the season. (per Miguel as I recall)

We'll need about $10M or so to cover costs from the Draft through the season. (per Miguel as I recall)
I think he usually says around $8-10M as a cushion for draft plus in-season pickups but it can be less. They can certainly go tight to the cap now after the draft and wait to make a restructure til later when they need to.

Two names that I've been hearing that we will be targeting in F/A once they can resume activities.....but currently both injured.

Trey Flowers
Jason McCourty

With the signing of Peppers, I'm not sure they bring back JMac unless they have an injury at safety. 183 of his reps last year were at Safety compared to 47 at CB.

I'd like to see Flowers back.

I think he usually says around $8-10M as a cushion for draft plus in-season pickups but it can be less. They can certainly go tight to the cap now after the draft and wait to make a restructure til later when they need to.
They cannot decide to go less, although the cost could be less for the following,
draftees
Player 52 and 53
Practice Squad
Players placed on IR
Camp replacements for injured players
In-season replacements for injured players
NLTBE incentives for games played

I may have missed one

Kind of off topic but would love to see an eyes emoji smiley sometime. Like if we see something interesting on twitter or somewhere else and wanted to post it here as something we should watch - kind of like what you see here:

CC @Ian

Reactions: Ian

Looks like more than >$10M. We still need to sign a few more FAs too. Expect several restructures / extensions.

I could see Raimann being a 1st round option at 21, or BB trading down and getting him a bit lower. He has Patriot all over him.
TE turned OT. European. His draft comp is Vollmer. Enough said.
But, boy is there going to be a lot of alluring talent at that point in the draft.

Looks like more than >$10M. We still need to sign a few more FAs too. Expect several restructures / extensions.

The cap situation is tighter than one might think.

Miguel's list is $15M worth of restructures that I presume Belichick has in his pocket (already approved by the player) to be used when needed. Let's assume that this $15M is Judon, Henry, Andrews, and Mills. So, these restructures are basically already spent.
========================
We are now at $5M of cap room before signing Peppers. We will need additional restructures and extensions beyond the $15M for almost any additional signings.

There is another $9M available, but that's it for restructures over $1M. This $9M includes Smith, Bourne, Wise and Guy.

There are possible extensions. Other than with Bailey, all may involve extensive negotiations. With Bailey, they can afford to simply cut him and sign another punter. They are NOT paying him over $4M as a punter. I don't think we can count on lots of extensions, although, if done, lots of cap money can be freed up. Who are you ready to extend? Mills? Wynn? Agholor? Smith? Their extensions would produce considerable cap money.

Last edited:
The list is $15M worth of restructures that I presume Belichick has in his pocket (already approved by the player) to be used when needed.

We are now at $5M of cap room before signing Peppers. We will need additional restructures and extensions beyond the $15M for almost any additional signings.
It shouldn't be too difficult to get $15-$20M.

It shouldn't be too difficult to get $15-$20M.
Miguel's list requires $15M in addition to monies needed to sign anyone.

Do you believe that it is easy to come up with $30M - $35M, which included Miguel's list plus new signees?

Who do you think will be "easy" to extend?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back