PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Forum: 'The Coded Language of Figuring Out Lamar Jackson'

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Found this article to be well written, thought provoking. The first 7 paragraphs in particular...

"Before the start of the 2021 NFL season, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported that “a lot of people around the league” believed that, after Lamar Jackson amassed more than 8,000 total yards and 76 touchdowns over the last two seasons, this was the year teams “figure out” the Baltimore Ravens quarterback.

On the surface, it’s absurd that league personnel believe that teams can suddenly flip a switch and stop one of the fastest and most agile players the league has ever seen, particularly one who accounted for 43 touchdowns just two seasons ago, 36 coming from the air.

But when you take that anonymous comment about Jackson and apply it to how other mobile quarterbacks who look like him have been discussed and critiqued over the years, figuring out Jackson is another instance of Black quarterbacks’ talents, and intelligence, being devalued solely based on the color of their skin.

“Figure out” connotes the quarterback’s skill set as sophomoric gimmickry that is easy to adapt to once a head coach or coordinator — likely white — studies it enough. It assumes the quarterback (and his coaches) is incapable of figuring out what the defense has figured out. It posits that mobile quarterbacks are one-trick ponies who, when forced to throw the ball, suddenly turn into running backs who happen to throw a tight spiral.

It’s long been established that Black quarterbacks are treated differently — whether by fans, the media or the league itself. Their intelligence and character are constantly questioned, down to the fact that only within the last 10 years are we regularly seeing more than a handful of African Americans being allowed to start at the position in the NFL. But in those rare instances in which a Black quarterback is handed the reins to the offense, his style of play — which, save for a few examples, is normally predicated on mobility — is considered bastardized and amateurish compared with more “traditional” (read: white) quarterbacks.

There’s a reason a video of Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson explaining coverages two seasons ago went viral on the internet: Watson, who is Black and mobile, wasn’t expected to understand what he was seeing on the field. If it were Peyton Manning giving that same explanation, it would have just been another day.

It’s been known for nearly 20 years that Tom Brady struggles against a disruptive pass rush, and yet defenses figured him out to the tune of seven Super Bowl trophies. Traditional dropback quarterbacks such as Drew Brees and Philip Rivers have .500 and losing records in the playoffs, respectively, but you wouldn’t say defenses figured them out. They just lost."

Yea man. Completely agree. There’s some colorism as well there.

Found this article to be well written, thought provoking. The first 7 paragraphs in particular...

"Before the start of the 2021 NFL season, ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reported that “a lot of people around the league” believed that, after Lamar Jackson amassed more than 8,000 total yards and 76 touchdowns over the last two seasons, this was the year teams “figure out” the Baltimore Ravens quarterback.

On the surface, it’s absurd that league personnel believe that teams can suddenly flip a switch and stop one of the fastest and most agile players the league has ever seen, particularly one who accounted for 43 touchdowns just two seasons ago, 36 coming from the air.

But when you take that anonymous comment about Jackson and apply it to how other mobile quarterbacks who look like him have been discussed and critiqued over the years, figuring out Jackson is another instance of Black quarterbacks’ talents, and intelligence, being devalued solely based on the color of their skin.

“Figure out” connotes the quarterback’s skill set as sophomoric gimmickry that is easy to adapt to once a head coach or coordinator — likely white — studies it enough. It assumes the quarterback (and his coaches) is incapable of figuring out what the defense has figured out. It posits that mobile quarterbacks are one-trick ponies who, when forced to throw the ball, suddenly turn into running backs who happen to throw a tight spiral.

It’s long been established that Black quarterbacks are treated differently — whether by fans, the media or the league itself. Their intelligence and character are constantly questioned, down to the fact that only within the last 10 years are we regularly seeing more than a handful of African Americans being allowed to start at the position in the NFL. But in those rare instances in which a Black quarterback is handed the reins to the offense, his style of play — which, save for a few examples, is normally predicated on mobility — is considered bastardized and amateurish compared with more “traditional” (read: white) quarterbacks.

There’s a reason a video of Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson explaining coverages two seasons ago went viral on the internet: Watson, who is Black and mobile, wasn’t expected to understand what he was seeing on the field. If it were Peyton Manning giving that same explanation, it would have just been another day.

It’s been known for nearly 20 years that Tom Brady struggles against a disruptive pass rush, and yet defenses figured him out to the tune of seven Super Bowl trophies. Traditional dropback quarterbacks such as Drew Brees and Philip Rivers have .500 and losing records in the playoffs, respectively, but you wouldn’t say defenses figured them out. They just lost."

It is pretty ****ing hilarious that he wrote this article just before Jackson’s free fall.

The criticism isn’t black quarterbacks; it’s mobile quarterbacks who hold the ball and run around with it. Pro football has five mostly immobile offensive linemen who are required to stand at the middle of the field and block. Hence, the pocket passer is historically superior since he can see and throw anywhere on the field and also give consistent blocking assignments.

All this shows up in the offense’s overall points and efficiency. Two guys he mentioned are Watson and Wilson. I’ve never thought they aren’t intelligent; what I have thought is that their high sack rate negates a lot of their positives. Meanwhile, there are plenty of black quarterbacks who are great in the pocket. Dak Prescott is a good example. There are plenty of scrambling white QBs who I’ve been skeptical about. Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow...even Josh Allen gets plenty of skepticism here for all his running.

And yes, Jackson has been figured out. Or it may be more accurate to say he’s just a one hit wonder. Look at his Adjusted Net Yards/Attempt, which accounts for his efficiency per play and includes sacks.

2018 - 5.99 (DNQ - 6 games)
2019 - 8.19 (4th)
2020 - 6.70 (17th)
2021 - 5.78 (22nd)

1639542418357.png

Granted, he has a good record (37-12), though the Ravens have ranked 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, and 10th in points allowed the last four seasons. I think efficiency stats and analytics sites may undervalue him a bit because overall, I think he’s probably in the 10-12 range for QBs. But that is a far cry from the way his worshippers, like this writer here, believe he should be ranked. But hey, when you’re pulling put the racism card in advance, you can be sure your argument is going to suck.

I don’t remember anyone thinking Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice, Muhammad Ali weren’t cerebral. I don’t hear it about Patrick Mahomes. The perception that he’s not smart has to do with the way he presents himself and the well known truth that he actually isn’t smart.

It is pretty ****ing hilarious that he wrote this article just before Jackson’s free fall.

The criticism isn’t black quarterbacks; it’s mobile quarterbacks who hold the ball and run around with it. Pro football has five mostly immobile offensive linemen who are required to stand at the middle of the field and block. Hence, the pocket passer is historically superior since he can see and throw anywhere on the field and also give consistent blocking assignments.

All this shows up in the offense’s overall points and efficiency. Two guys he mentioned are Watson and Wilson. I’ve never thought they aren’t intelligent; what I have thought is that their high sack rate negates a lot of their positives. Meanwhile, there are plenty of black quarterbacks who are great in the pocket. Dak Prescott is a good example. There are plenty of scrambling white QBs who I’ve been skeptical about. Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow...even Josh Allen gets plenty of skepticism here for all his running.

And yes, Jackson has been figured out. Or it may be more accurate to say he’s just a one hit wonder. Look at his Adjusted Net Yards/Attempt, which accounts for his efficiency per play and includes sacks.

2019 - 8.19 (4th)
2020 - 6.70 (17th)
2021 - 5.78 (22nd)

View attachment 38857

Granted, he has a good record (37-12), though the Ravens have ranked 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, and 10th in points allowed the last four seasons. I think efficiency stats and analytics sites may undervalue him a bit because overall, I think he’s probably in the 10-12 range for QBs. But that is a far cry from the way his worshippers, like this writer here, believe he should be ranked. But hey, when you’re pulling put the racism card in advance, you can be sure your argument is going to suck.

I don’t remember anyone thinking Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice, Muhammad Ali weren’t cerebral. I don’t hear it about Patrick Mahomes. The perception that he’s not smart has to do with the way he presents himself and the well known truth that he actually isn’t smart.

The only racist I see here is the writer of the article.

2019 - 8.19 (4th)
2020 - 6.70 (17th)
2021 - 5.78 (22nd)

View attachment 38857

I am on the fence, emotionally. I sympathize with the fact that people still want Black QBs not to be the real deal.

At the same time, everything I know says two things:
1) There are a buttload of racist AF NFL fans, so I sympathize with thinking that's the story behind "they'll figure out Lamar", however, also,
2) Running Quarterbacks Break.

Absolutely right - "it's not Black QBs, it's mobile QBs."

And ta daaa, the above shows, certainly if it's our only data, that the league figured out Lamar Jackson.

If you're the QB, your weapon is throwing the ball. There is this other guy, the running back, who is really good at running the ball. You get the element of quasi-surprise and a dual threat if you want to be a running QB. But you can't throw the ball on a play when you ultimately are running it, and bonus, you are taking your career in your hands.

@DropKickFlutie, I don't work for the site, but we're supposed to keep quoted passages to some limit, I think... although maybe it's okay if you also link? I don't remember. Just saying, and please don't shoot the messenger. I don't care myself but the site might.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back