PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL bans ALL hits where player lowers head

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the rule should only apply to the ball carrier and the defenders who are going after the ball carrier. With the way it’s written, it’s too tough to police. There are 22 guys out there on the field and any little head contact is going to result in a 15 yard penalty. I can see a guy like Jeremy Hill attempt to drive across the goal line and lower his head in the process. Then some defender will be in the way and Hill will get flagged.

I think the rule should only apply to the ball carrier and the defenders who are going after the ball carrier. With the way it’s written, it’s too tough to police. There are 22 guys out there on the field and any little head contact is going to result in a 15 yard penalty. I can see a guy like Jeremy Hill attempt to drive across the goal line and lower his head in the process. Then some defender will be in the way and Hill will get flagged.

The way the rule is written, the short yardage QB sneak is so blatantly illegal as to be an ejection level offense.

Dude. Rugby players don't wear helmets so of course they're not leading with their heads.

By the way, how can you spot a rookie Rugby player? He's the one without the F'ed up cauliflower ears. Maybe they should learn proper scrummage technique? :D

That's exactly why NFLers wouldn't lead with their heads if they had soft helmets.

Saying ******** doesn't make a collision with a shoulder the same as a collision with a hard impact surface. A helmet doesn't have soft tissue,skin and a joint which is easy to injure.
If Wakanda is real then so is the Riddle of Steel.

Dude. Rugby players don't wear helmets so of course they're not leading with their heads.

By the way, how can you spot a rookie Rugby player? He's the one without the F'ed up cauliflower ears. Maybe they should learn proper scrummage technique? :D
Rugby League, Rugby Union, and AFL players all know how to properly execute a tackle. NFL players who throw themselves at someone with their helmet are not executing a tackle, they are executing a hit.

They need to get rid of after the play hits. For example, you'll see a player get tackled and then another defender some how "falls" on him. Also, they need to get rid of defenders tackling or hitting players when a ball is clearly out of reach. For instance, when a QB overthrows a RB in the flat, you'll see a defender not even play the ball and hit the RB. It's cheap.

And we shall continue to see offensive records broken as the NFL continues it's march to becoming flag football.
Let us stimulate that scoring will increase. How many were fans of the AFL? How many PREFERRED the AFL style of play.

I don't think the difference will be that huge, but it won't RUIN the game, any more than other changes have.

What will ruin the game is continued concussions and the loss of a major last suit.

If Wakanda is real then so is the Riddle of Steel.

Rugby League, Rugby Union, and AFL players all know how to properly execute a tackle. NFL players who throw themselves at someone with their helmet are not executing a tackle, they are executing a hit.

Please read this as though we were chatting at a pub or something.

OK. All of the above would not lead with their heads if they were helmetless.

All of the above play a very physical sport, are very competitive and hit freaking hard.

Btw: Rugby players do tackle with their heads down. If they wore helmets like NFL players do they'd use them as well.

Side note: Rugby is a bad ass sport. Watched a lot of it while living in Asia.

I've seen speculation that the traditional run blocking charge out of a three point stance will become illegal if the first contact is with the helmet. That would indeed change the nature of the game.

Scores in the 40’s and 50’s will make the game boring?

Not sure about that. We’ve already seen it get to that to some extent, and it hasn’t had a super strong effect. Younger gen fans seem to like offensive shootouts more than older generation fans.

People don’t watch Arena because of the low quality of talent that’s played on a puny field.

I see it more likely that a dilution of talent will make the NFL go away before too high game scores would.

I love high scoring as much as the next guy, but I also love huge hits, crushing hits. Football is a collision sport of inches and this new rule definitely further limits hitting.
I still miss the huge receiver hits.........Rodney Harrison was the last of the now dead breed.

These are all grown men who know what game they are playing.

They need to get rid of after the play hits. For example, you'll see a player get tackled and then another defender some how "falls" on him. Also, they need to get rid of defenders tackling or hitting players when a ball is clearly out of reach. For instance, when a QB overthrows a RB in the flat, you'll see a defender not even play the ball and hit the RB. It's cheap.
Have you ever played football? It’s ludicrous to expect a linebacker in the chat to stop a f watch how good the throw is before planning to make a tackle.
Players hit ball carriers after they are tackled because they are trying to tackle them and someone else does before they get there and there momentum carries them through. Have you ever noticed that sometimes players miss tackles? Are defenders suooosed to freeze until they see if the tackle is successful?

I swear people think football
is played in slow motion and everyone know what the outcome of the play will be while it’s happening.

I've seen speculation that the traditional run blocking charge out of a three point stance will become illegal if the first contact is with the helmet. That would indeed change the nature of the game.
That’s not what this rule is going to be about imo. OL don’t lead with their helmet any way they lead with their shoulder.

Have you ever played football? It’s ludicrous to expect a linebacker in the chat to stop a f watch how good the throw is before planning to make a tackle.
Players hit ball carriers after they are tackled because they are trying to tackle them and someone else does before they get there and there momentum carries them through. Have you ever noticed that sometimes players miss tackles? Are defenders suooosed to freeze until they see if the tackle is successful?

I swear people think football
is played in slow motion and everyone know what the outcome of the play will be while it’s happening.
I actually I played High School football. You're supposed to play the ball, not the player. If you're a LB/DB and you see a RB in the flat or passed the LOS you are only tackling him if you think he'll catch the ball. You're not hitting him if he doesn't have the ball. Not that difficult to understand.

I actually I played High School football. You're supposed to play the ball, not the player. If you're a LB/DB and you see a RB in the flat or passed the LOS you are only tackling him if you think he'll catch the ball. You're not hitting him if he doesn't have the ball. Not that difficult to understand.
That’s just not reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back