PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next slot option: Riley McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll see, with Edleman getting up there in age, we are gonna need our next elite slot in the Welker department, Welker-Edelman-???

Intriguing prospect for sure. At the very least, I would expect him to be on the practice squad. We have a bit of a logjam at WR I think, but we will see how training camp and stuff plays out. I hope Mitchell is back and good to go but I wonder if he starts the year on PUP.

Returned 7 punts for 121 yrds and a TD his Sr year.

Would like to see him make an actual NFL Roster before we put Riley McCarron in Canton. I think MM if healthy could take his game to the slot level he has the body for it. Also I woudn't rule out the Patriots going the actual draft route for a Slot guy they are easy to find.

It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

Man. NESN's site takes forever to load.

It's all the content distribution java scripts trying to load/run in the background. The last time I had my script-blocker "allow all" for their site, the count was around 100 scripts, which didn't include whatever nested scripts there might have been from a few CDNs that my script blocker has automatically blacklisted.

It's all the content distribution java scripts trying to load/run in the background. The last time I had my script-blocker "allow all" for their site, the count was around 100 scripts, which didn't include whatever nested scripts there might have been from a few CDNs that my script blocker has automatically blacklisted.

Definitely irritating.

A. Scroll down past the loading video to read the story.
B. Scroll freezes but you still can read the first paragraph.
C. Scroll un freezes and the page jumps to the fourth paragraph.
D. Multiple videos begin to play overlapping each other soundwise.
E. Scroll up to get back to the second paragraph.
F. Scroll freezes then unfreezes and your back to A.

Hahaha

At this (way too early) point ... pick two from "GROUP-B":

GROUP-A
Edelman (32) - likely lock
Cooks (24) - likely lock
Patterson (27) - possible lock (KR and ST add value)

GROUP-B
McCarron (24) - PR adds value
Mitchell (24) - chronic knee issues?
Dorsett (25) - vulnerable
Hogan (29) - vulnverable
Britt (29) - vulnerable

GROUP-C
C. Hollister (24) - likely Psquad?

If Patterson's ST chops (beyond KR) are really good, he might replace an ST/ELEO-reserve like Grissom, thus allowing the Pats to keep a 6th (real) WR. However, with the Pats likely to be keeping 3 QBs (including a draftee), and perhaps needing to keep a 9th OL (given the OT situation), it would still restrict the head count at another position (2 TE?, 3 RB?, 4 LB?).

Definitely irritating.

A. Scroll down past the loading video to read the story.
B. Scroll freezes but you still can read the first paragraph.
C. Scroll un freezes and the page jumps to the fourth paragraph.
D. Multiple videos begin to play overlapping each other soundwise.
E. Scroll up to get back to the second paragraph.
F. Scroll freezes then unfreezes and your back to A.

Hahaha

I have my script-blocker (Firefox add-on) set to allow the minimum number of scripts to allow me to read the text (maybe 10?). No scrolling issues (no useless videos).

GROUP-A
Cooks (24) - likely lock

GROUP-B
Hogan (29) - vulnverable
Britt (29) - vulnerable

GROUP-C

If Patterson's ST chops (beyond KR) are really good, he might replace an ST/ELEO-reserve like Grissom, thus allowing the Pats to keep a 6th (real) WR. However, with the Pats likely to be keeping 3 QBs (including a draftee), and perhaps needing to keep a 9th OL (given the OT situation), it would still restrict the head count at another position (2 TE?, 3 RB?, 4 LB?).

I think you have Hogan and Patterson backwards.

Copy/paste:

The kid is hyper athletic and mobile, way better athlete then Amendola ever was. He has to show the hands and ability over the middle obviously, but if he does 4.4 speed gives him the burst to take it to the house.

We also need a punt returner, ideally not Edelman, this kid can possibly provide that. IMO Britt won't make it and Mitchell is always an injury risk. As others said above, he's an interesting prospect to track in camp.

GROUP-A
Cooks (24) - likely lock

GROUP-B
Hogan (29) - vulnverable
Britt (29) - vulnerable

GROUP-C

I wouldn't put Patterson on any WR list before he shows up in camp. And even then Id guess its more likely he is only a situational WR not really taking place of a full WR spot (starter or backup).

Don't sleep on C. Hollister. Had a great last preseason game after being sidelined w injury most of TC. Very good gunner. (also BB seems to be thrilled to be the first HC ever to have two sets of twins on the team..;))

I think you have Hogan and Patterson backwards.

Patterson maybe should be in "GROUP-B", but I really don't believe that Hogan is a lock - yet. He's not so unique that he can't be surpassed by someone else over the course of the next five months.

I wouldn't put Patterson on any WR list before he shows up in camp. And even then Id guess its more likely he is only a situational WR not really taking place of a full WR spot (starter or backup).

Don't sleep on C. Hollister. Had a great last preseason game after being sidelined w injury most of TC. Very good gunner. (also BB seems to be thrilled to be the first HC ever to have two sets of twins on the team..;))

Patterson is an interesting case ... KR, ST-gunner, "gadget" WR, "gadget" RB? If he ends up being reasonably useful in all those roles, he could ideally save the Pats a couple of roster spots (at STO and at RB) and thus allow for 5 other WRs to be carried on the roster (not counting Slater).

There's really no one else on the WR list who offers that sort of broad potential at his (projected) level.

OTOH, if he faceplants at any two of those roles (especially KR), he's likely not to make the roster (zero dead money).

As to Cody, that's actually why I added the "?" to his projection (in hindsight, that's completely ambiguous, ain't it?).

With Amendola gone, there’s a great opportunity for someone to step up and benefit from more playing time who would have otherwise been buried on the depth chart. Figured that player would be Mitchell, but maybe this kid or Hollister could be that next man up.

I'll be surprised if he makes the team. If O'Brien thought he was the next Wes or Jules then how did we get him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back