PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Next man up: DE Odrick vists Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any updates here? I'm not seeing anything on the rumor mill. Given that he's free to sign at any point, makes me wonder if the Pats ultimately didn't make him a contract offer, or they did and Odrick wanted a lot more and broke off discussions.

Odrick can be what hicks was. He can play well and get a nice contract afterwards.
Odrick is not a big DT like Hicks. He is more of an undersized DT/big DE.
they are different players.

Great article by Hill w BB takes on Odrick:
Bill Belichick’s 2015 scouting report on Jared Odrick
__

“He's a great player, and we had a lot of problems with him in Miami,” Belichick said on a Sept. 23 conference call with Jacksonville media. “I was glad to see him leave the division.”

“He's effective. He's long, he's got good quickness, he's got a lot of power. He does a good job outside,” Belichick added. “He's very hard to block out there to try to run out in the C-gap and that off-tackle area with him. It's hard. He's a very difficult guy to handle.”

__

I feel he's Pats first signing.. giving them what they were searching for all year in 2016 for (probably) a reasonable price and doesn't count in comp picks equation

Last edited:
Followed by Calais Campbell hopefully
From what I've seen that social media stuff never indicates where a player will end up. Actually I think it seals that they won't go there.

Great article by Hill w BB takes on Odrick:
Bill Belichick’s 2015 scouting report on Jared Odrick
__

“He's a great player, and we had a lot of problems with him in Miami,” Belichick said on a Sept. 23 conference call with Jacksonville media. “I was glad to see him leave the division.”

“He's effective. He's long, he's got good quickness, he's got a lot of power. He does a good job outside,” Belichick added. “He's very hard to block out there to try to run out in the C-gap and that off-tackle area with him. It's hard. He's a very difficult guy to handle.”

__

I feel he's Pats first signing.. giving them what they were searching for all year in 2016 for (probably) a reasonable price and doesn't count in comp picks equation
Basically he will be Chris longs replacement.

Basically he will be Chris longs replacement.

Nobody really replaces anybody. New player, new size, new skill set, new schemes, new season..

My guess is he can be somebody they couldn't find last year after Easley and Hicks were gone . and A Johnson was not the full-size answer. It doesn't mean he replaces any of them, but he gives Pats outside-inside run-rush versatility and complements/upgrades well the DL group (including Branch) adding a body that is quick & big. He is still in his prime and If they can ignite his spark from a season or so ago this could be a huge addition.

Nobody really replaces anybody. New player, new size, new skill set, new schemes, new season..

My guess is he can be somebody they couldn't find last year after Easley and Hicks were gone . and A Johnson was not the full-size answer. It doesn't mean he replaces any of them, but he gives Pats outside-inside run-rush versatility and complements/upgrades well the DL group (including Branch) adding a body that is quick & big. He is still in his prime and If they can ignite his spark from a season or so ago this could be a huge addition.
Of course they create roles for players.
What I'm saying is I expect his role to be SIMILAR to Long, playing some DE on early downs and moving inside to DT on passing downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents