PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots Insider: Had Hopkins Signed, Bourne Was Odd Man Out

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Insider: Had Hopkins Signed, Bourne Was Odd Man Out
Ian Logue
As the fallout from the DeAndre Hopkins news continues, it sounds like we finally may know for sure which receiver could have been pushed out had Hopkins ended up in New England.

The post Patriots Insider: Had Hopkins Signed, Bourne Was Odd Man Out appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I definitely wanted Hopkins but Bourne becoming collateral damage seems entirely counterproductive to the intended goal of going after someone like Hopkins. The idea is to improve the chances for success, not compromise it, so there should not be any scenario whereby Bourne is out. He's a good player who's been productive in our offense when deployed.

Bourne finished with a career-year after having caught 55 passes for 800 yards and 5 touchdowns in 2021, and obviously took a step back last season.
The snap% took a step back, not the player, so it's on the coaching staff.

I definitely wanted Hopkins but Bourne becoming collateral damage seems entirely counterproductive to the intended goal of going after someone like Hopkins. The idea is to improve the chances for success, not compromise it, so there should not be any scenario whereby Bourne is out. He's a good player who's been productive in our offense when deployed.

The snap% took a step back, not the player, so it's on the coaching staff.
As much as you'd like to say that - and many of us thought that - apparently, there was more to the story:

Bourne Appears to be in ‘Better Shape’ in 2023

Anyone who follows Bourne on social media knows he’s been active this offseason, including one posted just yesterday running routes at Nike World Headquarters. Callahan also said that the veteran wideout’s videos that we’ve seen show that Bourne appears to be in better shape compared to last preseason. Callahan alluded to the fact that’s something that may have also been an issue previously for Bourne, who was coming off of what had been a career-year for the former 49ers receiver after having caught 55 passes for 800 yards and 5 touchdowns in 2021.

“Kendrick Bourne, I don’t think it’s any surprise, is posting pictures and videos of himself,” explained Callahan. “Well, A) that’s period, end of story, no surprise that’s happening on Instagram, but B) that he looks like in much better shape when he admitted he was overweight last year. He seemed to be complacent after that 800-yard season, you mentioned, in 2021.”

Callahan spoke about that as if it was well-known, but that wasn’t a topic of conversation that really came up about Bourne last year, so that was certainly interesting.

Bourne Nearly Traded in 2022, Was Sent Home in Preseason

Callahan also confirmed that the club did come close to trading Bourne last season, and that the issues ahead of the 2022 season where the receiver saw limited playing time stemmed from a meeting where Bourne arrived late and was sent home.

“The other part is, they came very close, I can tell you, to trading him last year and they had calls, including a team in the division, another team in the AFC, and a 3rd team – a separate contender – about him,” said Callahan. “The trouble is, no team likes to sell low, and that’s exactly what you would have done with Bourne despite that 800-yard season because he was late to a, basically, attendance meeting before a preseason game and got sent home and was having a terrible camp.”

“So whether we all want to look back and say, ‘It was Matt Patricia’s fault he was in the doghouse, blah, blah, blah,’ that’s partly true, Kendrick Bourne walked himself most of the way into that doghouse back then.”

As much as you'd like to say that - and many of us thought that - apparently, there was more to the story:

Bourne Appears to be in ‘Better Shape’ in 2023

Anyone who follows Bourne on social media knows he’s been active this offseason, including one posted just yesterday running routes at Nike World Headquarters. Callahan also said that the veteran wideout’s videos that we’ve seen show that Bourne appears to be in better shape compared to last preseason. Callahan alluded to the fact that’s something that may have also been an issue previously for Bourne, who was coming off of what had been a career-year for the former 49ers receiver after having caught 55 passes for 800 yards and 5 touchdowns in 2021.

“Kendrick Bourne, I don’t think it’s any surprise, is posting pictures and videos of himself,” explained Callahan. “Well, A) that’s period, end of story, no surprise that’s happening on Instagram, but B) that he looks like in much better shape when he admitted he was overweight last year. He seemed to be complacent after that 800-yard season, you mentioned, in 2021.”

Callahan spoke about that as if it was well-known, but that wasn’t a topic of conversation that really came up about Bourne last year, so that was certainly interesting.

Bourne Nearly Traded in 2022, Was Sent Home in Preseason

Callahan also confirmed that the club did come close to trading Bourne last season, and that the issues ahead of the 2022 season where the receiver saw limited playing time stemmed from a meeting where Bourne arrived late and was sent home.

“The other part is, they came very close, I can tell you, to trading him last year and they had calls, including a team in the division, another team in the AFC, and a 3rd team – a separate contender – about him,” said Callahan. “The trouble is, no team likes to sell low, and that’s exactly what you would have done with Bourne despite that 800-yard season because he was late to a, basically, attendance meeting before a preseason game and got sent home and was having a terrible camp.”

“So whether we all want to look back and say, ‘It was Matt Patricia’s fault he was in the doghouse, blah, blah, blah,’ that’s partly true, Kendrick Bourne walked himself most of the way into that doghouse back then.”
Brings up more questions to me. Overweight by how much? Was it just at the start of camp and did he regain his shape quickly but remained in the doghouse anyway? Was it truly a case of not taking care of his body or was it bulking up (perhaps readying a bigger workload) gone wrong?

Also not sure what to make of Callahan saying Bourne "looks in much better shape." Can a reporter really eyeball the difference in the shape of a pro athlete when he's at 203lbs vs 208lbs?

There's a lot of nuance there that we're not seeing.

Last edited:
Brings up more questions to me. Overweight by how much? Was it just at the start of camp or did he regain his shape quickly but remained in the doghouse anyway? Was it truly a case of not taking care of his body or was it bulking up (perhaps readying a bigger workload) gone wrong?

Also not sure what to make of Callahan saying Bourne "looks in much better shape." Can a reporter really eyeball the difference in the shape of a pro athlete when he's at 203lbs vs 208lbs?

There's a lot of nuance there that we're not seeing.
Boggles the mind K Bourne looked real out of shape in 22.
Peering Looking GIF by MOODMAN

I'd argue that Bourne is our best wr. His yac ability can explode with Obrien. Passes up the seam and bubble screens is 80% of what Obrien does.

I'd argue that Bourne is our best wr. His yac ability can explode with Obrien. Passes up the seam and bubble screens is 80% of what Obrien does.
I created the What about KB? Post so I'm definitely with you on him. I know last season he didn't buy in and mentally that affected his camp. By the type the season rolled around he was pushed down the depth chart. If you look at our 2021 offensive ranking we were top 10 in scoring and top 3 in the red zone efficiency. KB had alot to do with that. He was keeping drives going, and scoring TDs. I can definitely see him matching or surpassing his 2021 production. I have juju, KB and Parker as the starting WRs..

Ian Logue
As the fallout from the DeAndre Hopkins news continues, it sounds like we finally may know for sure which receiver could have been pushed out had Hopkins ended up in New England.

The post Patriots Insider: Had Hopkins Signed, Bourne Was Odd Man Out appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I don't understand the FO's thinking here, unless it's merely to force BoneyT into the starting lineup one way or the other... Why take two steps forward with Hopkins just to take one step back by releasing Bourne, when our WRs really need to take Three steps forward anyway?

Why take two steps forward with Hopkins just to take one step back by releasing Bourne, when our WRs really need to take Three steps forward anyway?
These are unknowable mysteries of the great and wide my friend Captain. Much in the same vane as aliens, the cosmos and the ingredients in creating Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Ian Logue

Continue reading...

BB gets his panties in a bunch against a player and they are apparently dead to him…..Bourne was blackballed by Patricia and BB last year and has never recovered

BB gets his panties in a bunch against a player and they are apparently dead to him…..Bourne was blackballed by Patricia and BB last year and has never recovered

He must have recovered because they didn't trade him.

Team within the division. No name. Contenders out of division. No name. “I can tell you.” He’s guessing.

This whole thread is based on (logical) speculation by Kyed. The rest is filler.

They signed Juju, they extended Parker, they've got 2 kids in Thornton and Douglas that we're pretty sure they want to keep, and two more in Boutte and Cunningham that may stick around.

They're paying 3 guys more than 5m if they signed Hopkins not counting Bourne, who is the only one they'd save a lot of $$$ by moving. 4 WRs over 5million is nuts, particularly with 2 pass-catching TEs.

Simply put, of course, Bourne would have been the odd man out (barring injuries early in camp) if Hopkins came in after they extended Parker. My feeling is that they knew Hopkins was out WHEN they extended Parker.

Is that Abdullah the Butcher? Viceland just aired a Dark Side of the Ring episode about him a few days ago...
No. Just some random "biggest Loser" photo I found looking for fat guys. Just trying to joke about Kendrick Bourne being "overweight" last year.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back