PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Way Too Early Patriots Mock Draft #1

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
MORSE: Way Too Early Patriots Mock Draft #1
Mark Morse
With the Patriots missing the playoffs, we can get a jump on the 2023 NFL Draft. The Patriots will have their highest draft choice since 2008 when they selected Jerod Mayo #10 after a trade down from #7.

The post MORSE: Way Too Early Patriots Mock Draft #1 appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Like most of selections. But the TE class is super deep. It would be a shame if we don't draft TE in 3rd or 4th round.

Carlton Martial, the undersized tackling machine from Troy? Our Matthew Slater ST’s replacement who will also find his way onto the field in the nickel defense?

He reminds me of Tedy Bruschi coming out of Arizona. Undersized but fiercely competitive and setting records.

You, Sir, truly are Mr. Incredible!

MORSE: Way Too Early Patriots Mock Draft #1
Mark Morse
With the Patriots missing the playoffs, we can get a jump on the 2023 NFL Draft. The Patriots will have their highest draft choice since 2008 when they selected Jerod Mayo #10 after a trade down from #7.

The post MORSE: Way Too Early Patriots Mock Draft #1 appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
I like it.

The only pick I like is Stromberg...I'll stop following the Pats if THIS is their draft. Take a LT that doesn't have a left tackle body? What, another dipshyt daddio like Wynn? No thanks...

"...Jones has played well at the boundary corner. I believe he has the instincts and speed to play the Free Safety position..."

- Jonathan Jones is NOT a boundary CB on a Legit contender... And while he does indeed possess the instincts & speed to play the FS position, he lacks the size to do so, even DMac's size. Dude's an NFL Slot CB, and a dam good one too... Let's not force him to become something he isn't.

"Since the team needs two OTs, I would go hard after Mike McGlinchey, the former 1st round pick #9, at Right Tackle for San Francisco. It will likely take 4 years $43M, AAV $10.75M. That’s going to chew up 3/4 of the Free Agent budget."

- We already have our RT for next season in the building: Trent Brown... Signing McGlinchey would be a waste of resources.

"Depending on how the draft board falls out, there may not be an OT worth taking at #14. I feel FS is more important than WR and CB at this time..."

- Not only should there be a LT worth taking at #14, there might be More than one of them... And I completely DISagree with that foolish comment about FS being more of a need here than CB1 or WR; plenty of fish in that ocean.

I like the Witherspoon pick... I hope to do better than Mauch at #46 for our next LT... Unfortunately I don't expect Foskey to last until #76, or even 46... #107 is Way, WAY too dam early for yet another RB; Billy drafted TWO of them just last season, so let's see how they perform first before wasting more resources on one more... If Terry Palmer is your only WR taken in this draft, then that's ANOTHER WR FAIL by Billy... And also unfortunately, I expect both Stromberg & Warren to be taken much earlier during day 3 than they're projected to go by PFF right now.

Like most of selections. But the TE class is super deep. It would be a shame if we don't draft TE in 3rd or 4th round.

...or Darnell Washington at #46...

Glad he’s not in charge. Then again, Bill will probably take one of the shriners in the 2nd round and piss everyone off.

So, for fun, I took the Kamara trade to heart. Hit up PFF, and this is what I cam up with:

1675221156142.png

With these settings:
1675221242802.png

Could anyone share a list of FCS prospects? I’ll provide my mock draft once I receive.

Morse. LOVED your first round pick, thou I bet he doesn't make it to 14.

As for number 2, I believe that having a VERY athletic LT is important these days since teams will generally have their best rusher on that side, and you are likely to get some 4.5 guy coming in. THAT is why I was never worried about Wynn's lack of traditional LT size when they drafted him. I thought he was perfect for the faster lighter edge rushers that were coming into the league. And clearly I thought WRONG.

The question IS was Wynn just not in love with the game enough to make himself reach his potential, or was he just too small to begin with.
I still think I'm right in believing that you need a VERY athletic LT these days, but the Wynn experience has made me wonder. What do you think?

After those 2 picks, they are all a blur at this point.

My thoughts on FA are this.

If you are going to go with OT in the first round who should be a starter day one, Trent Brown is still under contract and I believe he was more effective at RT than left. HE and Owenu would make a powerful duo in the run game. So I DON'T think slightly overpaying a good but not great RT like McGlinchey is cost effective. New guy (whomever) at LT, Strange, Andrews Owenu, Brown has the makings of a solid OL, Cajuste or that new guy could fight for the swing OT job and we look for interior depth later in the draft or later in FA

So your first 2 picks would suit me fine

"...Jones has played well at the boundary corner. I believe he has the instincts and speed to play the Free Safety position...
What do you know. I agree with that assessment. Jones is a solid enough boundary CB as a depth guy if you have to put him out there he's not going to embarrass himself,, but you DO NOT want to resign him to be your starting guy on the boundary. You resign him because you want him to be your starting slot guy, where his size is less of a factor;
- Jonathan Jones is NOT a boundary CB on a Legit contender... And while he does indeed possess the instincts & speed to play the FS position, he lacks the size to do so, even DMac's size. Dude's an NFL Slot CB, and a dam good one too... Let's not force him to become something he isn't.
Interesting,, but the guy I see replacing Dmac, would be Adrian Phillips. IIRC he played the position at time this year. He has the speed to be back there. Phillips is more than just a SS type. Yes you try to find a guy after the first 3 rounds. You need a LOT of S's in the Pats offense. I also hope they resign Peppers and Bledsoe starts to get more playing time.
"Since the team needs two OTs, I would go hard after Mike McGlinchey, the former 1st round pick #9, at Right Tackle for San Francisco. It will likely take 4 years $43M, AAV $10.75M. That’s going to chew up 3/4 of the Free Agent budget."

- We already have our RT for next season in the building: Trent Brown... Signing McGlinchey would be a waste of resources.

Again we agree. as I mentioned in the post above which I wrote before seeing your post
"Depending on how the draft board falls out, there may not be an OT worth taking at #14. I feel FS is more important than WR and CB at this time..."

- Not only should there be a LT worth taking at #14, there might be More than one of them... And I completely DISagree with that foolish comment about FS being more of a need here than CB1 or WR; plenty of fish in that ocean.
CB would be my choice at #14 IF they can grab one of the top 3 rated guys. We need some size at CB and 6'2 fluid CB's with loose hips and sub 4.5 speed are RARE so if one of the top guys are there I would grab him even before an OT, because I'm worried that there might not be a sure bet, day one starter on the board in that position.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back