PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Jones Incident May Be Tough to Come Back From

Status
Not open for further replies.
MORSE: Jones Incident May Be Tough to Come Back From
Mark Morse
We have seen the last of New England Patriots defensive back Jack Jones, a promising young player.

The post MORSE: Jones Incident May Be Tough to Come Back From appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
what a POS article this is...

He's a thug? Grow some balls, next time come right out and drop the N-word... why beat around the bush? Glad to see the white robes and hood still fits... you and a few others here must have discussed this story over a saturday night cross burning bonfire after it happened...

Last edited:
I don’t think that was Mark’s intention and knowing his tailgate crowd from over the years, I can promise you that what’s been inferred there absolutely isn’t accurate.
Ok.

Are there any stories where Jones is accused of violence?
If a minority objects to a term that negatively characterized them most people would refrain from using the term.
You seem to want to defend it. Morse could have used many terms, it seems curious that he chose the dog whistle one.

By the way Jones did not commit a violent act.

Are any of the troubles Jones had related to violence? I hadn't seen any. Jones' issue isn't he's a violent thug. Jones' issue is he seems to do self-destructive stupid things. I can't imagine he's got much rope left from BB after ending the season suspended by the team in a must win game.

what a POS article this is...

He's a thug? Glad to see the white robes and hood still fits... you and a few others here must have discussed this story over a saturday night cross burning bonfire after it happened...
Again, while I don’t necessarily agree with his overall viewpoint, knowing Mark and his crowd (his tailgate was pretty well-known at Gillette) I can absolutely promise you that’s not accurate.

Again, while I don’t necessarily agree with his overall viewpoint, knowing Mark and his crowd (his tailgate was pretty well-known at Gillette) I can absolutely promise you that’s not accurate.
His words in his article gainsay that statement.

Its one thing for a poster to drop a comment like that, but a featured writer on the site? Not a good look Ian.

Again, maybe it’s the perspective of spending a fair amount of time in the south, but there are plenty of people that term applies to regardless of race. It’s just a little strange seeing the reactions while immediately assuming there’s an ulterior intent.

Again, maybe it’s the perspective of spending a fair amount of time in the south, but there are plenty of people that term applies to regardless of race. It’s just a little strange seeing the reactions while immediately assuming there’s an ulterior intent.
The Sandlot Movie GIF

His words in his article gainsay that statement.

Its one thing for a poster to drop a comment like that, but a featured writer on the site? Not a good look Ian.

You’re talking about the same guy who posted this:

Again, not everyone sees that word with a racial overtone. And assuming that’s what Mark’s intent was just isn’t accurate.

Not that I want to continue arguing the point, but almost 30% of gang members in states like Alabama, etc. are white.

Again, that term isn’t - and definitely shouldn’t - exactly be exclusive to any particular race.

You’re talking about the same guy who posted this:

Again, not everyone sees that word with a racial overtone. And assuming that’s what Mark’s intent was just isn’t accurate.
One does not need to "see the world with racial overtones" to recognize it when it happens.

ive muted the thread. I have no desire to support him or his articles by offering any further commentary.

Not that I want wto continue arguing the point, but almost 30% of gang members in states like Alabama, etc. are white.

Again, that term isn’t - and definitely shouldn’t - exactly be exclusive to any particular race.
You literally just stated 70% of all gang members in bama are black/not white without saying 70% of all gang members in bama are black/not white. Granted, while you offer no break down of the racial composition of the 70%, it is a strong inference that you mean black.

Nice job.

You literally just stated 70% of all gang members in bama are black without saying 70% of all gang members in bama are black.

Nice job.
No, that’s not the breakdown of that other 70%. At all.

The simple point is that the percentage (nearly a third) are not minorities.

No, that’s not the breakdown. At all.

The simple point is that the percentage (nearly a third) are not minorities.
The way you presented the information you want the reader to drawn the inference that 70% are colored - ie non-white.

It carries the racial component with it regardless. Especially in the south.

I’ve said this before many times in here and feel like online forums are the best example of this. No one in here knows what race anyone is
Unless your avatar includes a photo of yourself

The way you presented the information you want the reader to drawn the inference that 70% are colored - ie non-white.

It carries the racial component with it regardless. Especially in the south.
That’s such an odd way to look at it, taking the intended number to back up the point I was originally making and flipping it to make a point that - I thought - we were both arguing against…?

Again, I’ll go back to the point I made initially. That word isn’t exclusive to one race or group of people. At all.

Unless your avatar includes a photo of yourself
Which not a lot of people do and that makes us judge people by their posts and not anything else.

That’s such an odd way to look at it, taking the intended number to back up the point I was originally making and flipping it to make a point that - I thought - we were both arguing against…?

Again, I’ll go back to the point I made initially. That word isn’t exclusive to one race or group of people. At all.

Next time a white player gets in trouble for something gun related, lets just see how many times the word "thug" gets dropped into the story, shall we?

I don’t think that was Mark’s intention and knowing his tailgate crowd from over the years, I can promise you that what’s been inferred there absolutely isn’t accurate.
Sure, I believe you, and I'm not calling anyone a racist here.

But if you want to be a featured writer on a site, or simply a public person at all, how hard is it to not use dog whistles? That term has become a dog whistle, as it was used by...well, let's just say that the term "thug" to describe a young black man is the new N-word.

It's not hard to not use those words, or the F-word for gay men, or the K-word for Jewish people, or any of the other dog whistle terms thrown around because "it's my right to do it!" or any other stupid reasons.

Bottom line is simple: if you use it, you are shutting down discourse with lots of people, and as a featured writer on a site, that's just not the way to roll, and in this case, you are straying from the intent of your article, knowingly or unknowingly, because many people will hear that word and react negatively to it.

Changes in language matter. For example, publishers have asked fiction writers to use "enslaved person" instead of "slave." The reason is that it puts the person's identifier on the person instead of the oppressor - an enslaved person is the person being described, whereas the word slave becomes a piece of property to the "owner." This was asked for by representatives of the black community. Why does it hurt me or any other writer to defer to them when using terms that were so powerfully negative in our history towards them?

Look at the responses here. Mark, if you read this, please just stop using that word. First of all, you will NEVER get a job on a decent mag/paper/MSMsite with that kind of loaded language.

It's nice of you to speak for him, I guess, but let's see what he calls a white player when they do something stupid. I promise it won't be 'thug'.

Jones didn't commit a violent act, and wasn't out on the streets committing crimes or anything. You and others are welcome to pretend it's an incidental choice, but the fact is, there's no reason in this case to use the word thug, except as a dog-whistle. He was caught with handguns in a carry-on, it's dumb, it's a crime, but it's not 'thuggish' in any possible definition save one.

What did Jan 6 have to do with this?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3