PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Brady Proved on Sunday the Patriots Gave Up On Him Too Soon

Okay. Well he’s in his tenth Super Bowl, with the perennial loser Bucs, so....

who have the best roster in the league, also....it's a nice story, i'm happy for him, he really is the GOAT and it's great to see him with a chance or two for another one......

i'd rather discuss the team i root for on their page, that's all....i'm really not interested in what his dad says, or who the Bucs backup safety is (unless the Pats happen to be playing them that week)

Exactly my point, thanks

We all agree bringing in a proven winner + veteran leader is good for a team. But it doesn't make bad players great. It typically enhances the play of star players at times.

For example, it's much more motivating to play your ass off when Brady throws a pick because you want to help bail the guy out. Just like when the QB bails out the defense after they mess up.

But bad players aren't going to stuff a guy like Rodgers after two late picks. It still takes talent. Talent the Bucs have been building before Brady was there.

My friend is implying even mediocre defensive players turn great because of Tom.
Brady took Reche Caldwell, Chad Jackson, Bam Childress, Doug Gabriel, and Troy Brown in the twilight of his career to the AFC Championship and nearly won it if not for an unfortunate call by the referee. So I think Brady is different.

Regardless, to transform a 7-9 team into a Super Bowl team, during a pandemic where training/extra camp sessions were limited, is unprecedented. Have to give the guy his due. He is special. If you think the last 20 years are the norm, then expect to be disappointed.

is this the wrong place for me to say watching Ray Bourque leave the Bruins stung more.......and I rooted way harder for him to win a Cup elsewhere than I am now rooting for TB to win*?

* I'd like to see TB/TB12 win, and will root for them.......but I'm a tad indifferent at this point; I had tears in my eyes when Ray Ray lofted the Cup....different circumstances for sure, but.....
What was that, 20 years ago? Maybe you've turned a tad more cynical in that time.

What was that, 20 years ago? Maybe you've turned a tad more cynical in that time.

naw just a different story line

part of it was ray WAS the bruins while i was really coming into my own as a sports fan, throughout all of my teens and beyond......although Cam was my favorite, Ray was the franchise.......letting him go for a chance at a Cup was bittersweet, and watching the man who always talked the talk and walked the walk, who was a leader by example and just the ultimate teammate, was nice.....

cynical? not really......i still have a great appreciation for what they's guys do.......coaches and players alike......i've just learned it IS a business, and to never assume any players love for the organization, the team, the fans anywhere approaches the fans love for the team, etc.....that's not cynical, that's just realistic

i'll be thrilled if TB can pull off the upset, I'd love to see another 4th quarter drive for Tom......but i'm just not that emotionally invested in another team.....

who have the best roster in the league, also....it's a nice story, i'm happy for him, he really is the GOAT and it's great to see him with a chance or two for another one......

i'd rather discuss the team i root for on their page, that's all....i'm really not interested in what his dad says, or who the Bucs backup safety is (unless the Pats happen to be playing them that week)
Ummm, Saints had a better roster until they lost to Bucs. Green Bay had a better roster as well with NFL MVP until they lost to them. Chiefs truly have a way better roster that's played together for 3 years. That's why Bucs are dogs again.

Bucs have a "talented roster" that didn't know how to win until Brady got there. They were the most penalized team in 2019, and dropped to #6 in 2020. That's an incredible turnaround.

This is all credited to the Patriots Way! All of the Bucs improvements are being attributed to the way our Patriots play. Why wouldn't we be proud of that? I hope they win; they deserve it because they have clearly been putting in the work, doing their job so to speak!

Okay they bring in Diggs, the need to restructure 2-3 guys to afford him, AND give up draft capital, which kicks the can down the road a bit.

Now we have Diggs, Edelman(hes hurt) and the meyers, and Harry.

Still no tight ends, Still no money.

You can only go all in for so long before you need to pay the piper. The patriots tried to go all in the year brady left, on top of the #1 defense in the league. Brady then didn't show up to OTA's and threw the team under the bus while they were undefeated.

They brought in a first round pick at receiver(who turned out to be a bust), they signed a malcontent at brady's request, and that guy proceeded to use his ex girlfriends kids as a threatening tactic, and burned every single bridge on his way out of town. That offseason they brought in a vet wide receiver who they had to cut to make room for brown, mid season they traded a third for the best receiver they could afford.

Heading into that season our WR corps were Brown, Edleman, Gordon, Harry. We still had a hole at tight end, but if you're going to tell me that bill didn't try and give Tom weapons, You're lying to yourself. Bill signed a bunch of highly talented assholes, specifically to give Tom the type of receivers he was demanding, and the receivers ****ed it up.

When all you can afford isn't good enough for the girl your dating, you gotta let that girl go, shes just using you. Just like Tom's using Tampa, He wants to win now, and dgaf about the future. Tampa is going to be ****ed once the bill comes for their going all in.
They could have signed a TE too. They chose not to. Who did he go sign? Gordon was cheap because of his issues. B
Ummm, Saints had a better roster until they lost to Bucs. Green Bay had a better roster as well with NFL MVP until they lost to them. Chiefs truly have a way better roster that's played together for 3 years. That's why Bucs are dogs again.

Bucs have a "talented roster" that didn't know how to win until Brady got there. They were the most penalized team in 2019, and dropped to #6 in 2020. That's an incredible turnaround.

This is all credited to the Patriots Way! All of the Bucs improvements are being attributed to the way our Patriots play. Why wouldn't we be proud of that? I hope they win; they deserve it because they have clearly been putting in the work, doing their job so to speak!
Yes, they have a talented roster, but as Venecol points out “most talented” is pretty debatable. Ariens himself in the on field post game interview with the NFC trophy and the entire team around him credited Brady with infusing the team with a new attitude about winning and being dedicated to practice.

Green Bay had a better roster as well with NFL MVP until they lost to them.
GB didn't have a better roster than the Bucs. It's the same roster who overachieved, were severely overmatched that got their a**es kicked by SF last year. GB fools people every year with Rodgers "MVP play" only for him and his team to fold like a lawn chair in big moments.

GB didn't have a better roster than the Bucs. It's the same roster who overachieved, were severely overmatched that got their a**es kicked by SF last year. GB fools people every year with Rodgers "MVP play" only for him and his team to fold like a lawn chair in big moments.
That's debatable.

GB had 7 players selected for the Pro Bowl (tied with KC, Ravens and SEA for most). Bucs had 1 (JPP).

Gb also has somehow gotten creampuff schedules 2 years in a row. Never seen a team make 2 strategy conference title games with beating almost nobody. Last year they got to face kc without mahomes and this year got the rams without kupp and donald hampered. Thats probably the two best teams theyve beaten in this stretch and neither were full strength. Their luck is bound to take a quick turn soon

That's debatable.

GB had 7 players selected for the Pro Bowl (tied with KC, Ravens and SEA for most). Bucs had 1 (JPP).
I look at it like this:

QB: I'm taking Brady all day without question. No debate. Aaron can have his MVP's, but he's folded in big games before this.
RB: TB has better depth, but GB has the best RB between the two teams in Jones.
WR: TB by a wide margin.
Adams is a stud and arguably the best WR of the two teams, but GB just has feel good stories with the rest of the group. TB is 6 deep.
TE: TB
OL: Slight edge to GB as TB was shaky throughout the year.
Front 7: TB by a wide margin.
S: GB but not by much. They are overrated and are midgets.

Last edited:
Lmao the Belichick disciples in this thread are hilarious. The fact that I’m seeing excuses about this season’s “cap” and “going all out in Brady’s final year in New England" is amusing and totally misses the point.

This isn’t a one season issue.

It’s the sum of several years of mismanaging the draft, free agency and trades by Bill, along with his stubborn ego and hardball refusal to pay Brady fair market value for his services (which, if we're totally being honest here, would've been underpaying Brady after an unprecedented 20 years of service, 9 Super Bowl appearances, 6 titles and billions of dollars made for this organization).

The Belichick fanboys are literally just parroting the excuses Bill said on the radio months ago. Problem is, these excuses are worse now than they were were when he said them.

He paid Brady $13.5 million dollars to literally not play here and bring another team to a Super Bowl. Don't bring up the cap, then refuse to acknowledge that particular bit of idiocy.

Belichick had no succession plan at QB and simply put got his bet wrong in regards to Tom's durability. Bill bet against the GOAT and got burned, plain and simple. All these excuses do nothing to change that fact.

Last edited:
Lmao the Belichick disciples in this thread are hilarious. The fact that I’m seeing excuses about this season’s “cap” and “going all out in Brady’s final year in New England" is amusing and totally misses the point.

This isn’t a one season issue.

It’s the sum of several years of mismanaging the draft, free agency and trades by Bill, along with his stubborn ego and hardball refusal to pay Brady fair market value for his services (which, if we're totally being honest here, would've been underpaying Brady after an unprecedented 20 years of service, 9 Super Bowl appearances, 6 titles and billions of dollars made for this organization).

The Belichick fanboys are literally just parroting the excuses Bill said on the radio months ago. Problem is, these excuses are worse now than they were were when he said them.

He paid Brady $13.5 million dollars to literally not play here and bring another team to a Super Bowl. Don't bring up the cap, then refuse to acknowledge that particular bit of idiocy.

Belichick had no succession plan at QB and simply put got his bet wrong in regards to Tom's durability. Bill bet against the GOAT and got burned, plain and simple. All these excuses do nothing to change that fact.

You must be one of those people that doesn't understand how the cap works, and seems to think all bill had to do was throw the non existent money at the problem.

Brady chose to leave LAST year. there was ZERO chance he played in new england in 2020. ZERO

Brady took Reche Caldwell, Chad Jackson, Bam Childress, Doug Gabriel, and Troy Brown in the twilight of his career to the AFC Championship and nearly won it if not for an unfortunate call by the referee. So I think Brady is different.

Regardless, to transform a 7-9 team into a Super Bowl team, during a pandemic where training/extra camp sessions were limited, is unprecedented. Have to give the guy his due. He is special. If you think the last 20 years are the norm, then expect to be disappointed.

I just don't understand the anger by Brady fans. They rage and crap on BB because he wanted to start planning for the future? BB/Brady combo gave us 6 wins. I think it's both Belichick's right to want to focus on the future and Brady's right to go keep playing.

I guarantee the Brady situation would have given ANY coach trouble. A QB is approaching 40 and history dictates he's going to rapidly decline. He has the QB he wants moving forward (Jimmy) so he likely hoped Brady would make it easy on him and retire.

Brady didn't. Yet he remained and is allegedly upset because BB had the gall to want to look ahead in roster management. This resulted in the angry Brady years (especially 2019).

I just wonder if the same people upset at how BB handled it would be okay with trading for and signing Rodgers to a 7 year deal right now worth $150m+

Old QBs are a gamble and I guess after 9 trips to the bowl, BB felt he earned the right to plan ahead. Just my take

Brady Proved on Sunday the Patriots Gave Up On Him Too Soon
Ian Logue
Obviously, everything has to end. Moving on from Brady needed to happen eventually, but the fact New England put Brady in the position to have to move on is the part that will potentially go down as one of the more frustrating ones in team history.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
Fair enough. We should have signed the same $50M/2 year contract that TB signed. By the way, please list the players that would have been cut or not resigned to come up with the $25M so that we could sign Brady in March. Then, please suggest how you would have expected the resulting patriot team to do. Do you think that the team would have made it to the Championship Game? I have a sneaky idea that Brady doesn't think so, and that is why HE DECIDED to go to Tampa Bay.

BTW, everyone simply assumes that Brady had some interest in playing for the patriots for the same money, even given the likelihood that we would have a weaker supporting cast. Brady made a decision. I seem to missing all the trash talk on Brady for making the his decision.

By the way, please list the players that would have been cut or not resigned to come up with the $25M so that we could sign Brady in March

JMac, DMac and Thuney. And In my opinion Brady was more valuable than those 3 guys.

If you extended Brady to a 2 year deal you can structure it to get some cap room in 2020 and have a bigger cap hit in 2021.

Last edited:
It would help if you understood how cap hits work and what they mean before you criticize people for talking about them.

Fair enough. We should have signed the same $50M/2 year contract that TB signed. By the way, please list the players that would have been cut or not resigned to come up with the $25M so that we could sign Brady in March. Then, please suggest how you would have expected the resulting patriot team to do. Do you think that the team would have made it to the Championship Game? I have a sneaky idea that Brady doesn't think so, and that is why HE DECIDED to go to Tampa Bay.

BTW, everyone simply assumes that Brady had some interest in playing for the patriots for the same money, even given the likelihood that we would have a weaker supporting cast. Brady made a decision. I seem to missing all the trash talk on Brady for making the his decision.
We are already paying over half of it. You want the easiest one? Thuney who probably isn't here next year we could have just moved on from. He was easily our highest cap hit. We could have tried to find a trade partner or moved on. He takes up 14million. That plus the 13 million we are already pay him anyways. We would have kept Brady this year andstill been in a solid cap situation next year.

We are already paying over half of it. You want the easiest one? Thuney who probably isn't here next year we could have just moved on from. He was easily our highest cap hit. We could have tried to find a trade partner or moved on. He takes up 14million. That plus the 13 million we are already pay him anyways. We would have kept Brady this year andstill been in a solid cap situation next year.
That "$13 million we are already paying him anyways" was already paid out for previous years. They'd have to pay him on top of that.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back