NEW ARTICLE: Brady Proved on Sunday the Patriots Gave Up On Him Too Soon

Regular season ranking:
6th fewest points in points per drive
6th fewest yards per drive
5th in forced turnovers
4th in sacks
3rd in interceptions
#1 in fewest rushing attempts, yards, TD's and yards per attempt

They were a top five, or even top three defense this season... last I checked Tom didn't play defense.

What really changed for this team throughout this season was penalties, early on they were leading the NFL in penalties.

What really changed for them this postseason is rushing, entering the Packers game they were second in the postseason in rushing attempts per game. They learned in the second New Orleans game where they set an NFL record for fewest rushes in a single game and got blown out, that even a team with the best receiving weapons in history can't become one dimensional and ignore the run. If they ran the ball in the regular season and cleaned up the penalties right away they probably would have broken every offensive record known to man. They're an All-Star team.
Do the Bucs have a lot of talent on their defense? Absolutely. They have many of the same players as last year, yet:

2019 PF: 458, PA: 449, PD: +9
2020 PF: 492, PA: 355, PD: +137

2019 TO Diff: -13
2020 TO Diff: +8

The turnaround of this team in one year is amazing. You already mentioned penalties. Again, Brady made the defense better. Fact.

How far do you think that hypothetical (trade Brady for Gilmore/Thuney) team is going?

Maybe a 7 or 8 seed and another one and done?
They didn’t go anywhere cutting Brady this year. We weren’t going anywhere this year regardless. Thuney won’t be here next year. Gilmore is extremely doubtful. You are doing it to keep an elite QB for the rebuild instead of needing to find one as part of it.

Like we kept both and discarded Brady and didn’t go anywhere, what’s your point? Nothing was going to make this season better.

Not sure throwing three dumb picks shows us that.

TB12 is going to the Super Bowl because of his defense and because Lafleur is a really bad head coach.

Do the Bucs have a lot of talent on their defense? Absolutely. They have many of the same players as last year, yet:

2019 PF: 458, PA: 449, PD: +9
2020 PF: 492, PA: 355, PD: +137

2019 TO Diff: -13
2020 TO Diff: +8

The turnaround of this team in one year is amazing. You already mentioned penalties. Again, Brady made the defense better. Fact.

Brady doesn’t play defense. What Tom did is not lead the NFL in turnovers like Jameis Winston did, he didn’t throw a ton of pick sixes and fumble balls that were taken back to the house.

Another thing that improved from last year is they drafted and were playing two rookie corners, this year those two are vastly improved and they added a good rookie safety.

It’s a TEAM game, Tom has provided a complementary aspect to the offense, but the defense is one of the best in the league.

Not sure throwing three dumb picks shows us that.

TB12 is going to the Super Bowl because of his defense and because Lafleur is a really bad head coach.
Guess the points he scored in the first half didn’t count. The D played well the last 2 games but we don’t need to act like Brady is carried by his defense like Manning was.

The Bucs haven’t scored less than 30 points the last 6 games. They have score 30 points in every game in the playoffs against the #2,#5 and #9 defense but you are right the only reason Brady is the SB is his defense!

Guess the points he scored in the first half didn’t count. The D played well the last 2 games but we don’t need to act like Brady is carried by his defense like Manning was.

The Bucs haven’t scored less than 30 points the last 6 games. They have score 30 points in every game in the playoffs against the #2,#5 and #9 defense but you are right the only reason Brady is the SB is his defense!
No, I am saying that the only reason that he won that particular game was because his defense bailed him out after throwing picks on three straight possessions. He has played well this year, but Sunday wasn't exactly a clinic. The TD before the half is on GB's coordinator. The defense they put on the field for that play guaranteed a TD. Lombardi was ripping Pettine a new a-hole for his game plan.

I am all in on TB for this Super Bowl, I am just trying to look at things objectively.

it's a patriots forum, not a tom brady forum
It's a Patriots forum with a Brady sub forum(s). You better get used to it. A good number of Patriot fans as well as major New England media outlets have latched on to the 2020-21 Brady story. It's the number one topic currently. That's what 20 years of greatness here has meant.

wish it STAYED in the subforum.......there's too much else going on with the actual franchise that this forum is actually dedicated to

Brady can still play at a high level. But people keep posting these articles as If he Patriots would be in the super bowl had they kept brady.

Their short memory forgets the Patriots losing record the 2nd half of 2019 and losing in the wildcard round. Our roster was even worse this year and we would have the same results.

If we want to have a discussion on how Bill botched the roster building and drafts which added with brady's treatment lead to him leaving then that's another discussion

When the Patriots won rings, it was because they were hyper talented and great in three phases of football... not due to magical unicorns.

There were times Tom led the way, there were days the defense bailed out the offense, special teams were consistently good... TEAM.

The Patriots were broke in 2019, up to their ears in cap debt from going all in to win three rings.

Learn the game, quit your moaning.

Brady can still play at a high level. But people keep posting these articles as If he Patriots would be in the super bowl had they kept brady.

Their short memory forgets the Patriots losing record the 2nd half of 2019 and losing in the wildcard round. Our roster was even worse this year and we would have the same results.

If we want to have a discussion on how Bill botched the roster building and drafts which added with brady's treatment lead to him leaving then that's another discussion
It is the whole picture that has folks frustrated. Your last sentence nailed it. I would also add that we had no QB succession plan on top. That is the real stinger and what makes this so painful.

The argument that it was the right move to let Brady go because we weren’t going to the SB this year is ridiculous to me.

Maybe Kraft should let Bill go because we aren’t going to the SB with him next year!

The argument that it was the right move to let Brady go because we weren’t going to the SB this year is ridiculous to me.

Maybe Kraft should let Bill go because we aren’t going to the SB with him next year!

I'm not saying it was the right move. Bills treatment of Brady after Garoppolo was shipped out is mind boggling. He didn't do anything to address the future to draft any decent prospect behind him. But instead of buying in with Brady because of that he still insisted on lowballing him and treating him with year to year deals.

It's one thing if you have a guy waiting in the wings you want to go to. The colts moved on from Manning because they had luck. It's another to push the guy out and have absolute garbage behind him.

The irony is that bill is going to have to pay a stafford or Jimmy G the same or more than Brady. And probably expend draft capitol. And I think bill is going to be aggressive in getting one of those guys.

You can tell by Linda's comments how sensitive he is to brady's success while he languishes at 7-9 with a QB who can't throw

Lmaooo still this guy with the cap excuses.

Wake up pal: It’s Bill’s job to manage the cap.

Saying the cap is one of the main reasons Brady left means you’re blaming Bill.

You Belichick disciples are utterly hilarious.

LMAOOOOOOOO This guy who would rather the team be screwed for decades like the saints are about to be when Bree's 50 million dollar cap hit comes due, rather then have one mediocre year to clear a QB that had no interest in being here off the cap.\

go join the tamp forum guy, i bet they will love hearing about how it was worth it 5 years from now

If you talk about Bill’s ego ,then you are right!
Did you make a mistake? Are you talking about Bill Belichick? Bill Belichick is still with the team. All GMs, coaches, and QBs have an ego. Some let theirs get in the way. Some think that being a QB should entitle them to coach as well, be involved with player selection, define the physical training program and be involved with all team Strategy meetings. To me, that sounds like an owner. Hello Brady, buy your own team, and you can do it all.

Did you make a mistake? Are you talking about Bill Belichick? Bill Belichick is still with the team. All GMs, coaches, and QBs have an ego. Some let theirs get in the way. Some think that being a QB should entitle them to coach as well, be involved with player selection, define the physical training program and be involved with all team Strategy meetings. To me, that sounds like an owner. Hello Brady, buy your own team, and you can do it all.
The only reason that Brady isn’t on this team is Bill’s ego. He can’t stand not being the reason this team wins. The guy treated Brady like he was a JAG but when critics came toward him, it turned into the excuses train. I can’t imagine how Brady would be treated here if he had made the same excuses as Bill.

Bill is the best coach ever but I can’t stand the guy. He is arrogant, full of himself. I don’t like the show he puts on the sideline breaking phones, tablet etc...

They didn’t go anywhere cutting Brady this year. We weren’t going anywhere this year regardless. Thuney won’t be here next year. Gilmore is extremely doubtful. You are doing it to keep an elite QB for the rebuild instead of needing to find one as part of it.

Like we kept both and discarded Brady and didn’t go anywhere, what’s your point? Nothing was going to make this season better.
I don't think you and I are that far apart in our opinions. It was apparent at the end of the 2019 season that the Pats were never going to return the Super Bowl in 2020 or 2021. My comment was better directed not at you, but at others that seem to feel otherwise.

Now the question becomes which pieces to keep and which to discard. One other fly in the ointment is whether or not Tom had the desire to remain on a team that would not be a contender for a second and third consecutive season, given his age - regardless of how much money the Patriots would have offered him. That's a question the rest of us can only speculate and will never truly know. He seemed to be very frustrated in 2019; it's too bad that AB and Josh Gordon couldn't avoid suspension-related activity. With those two plus Edelman on the roster we are all looking at an entirely different scenario.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back