PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEInsider post on the ESPN message board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NEInsider post on the ESPN message board.

No. It is some intern. Is it amazing that the student starts thinking like the teacher?

BB or Kraft probably signs off on it.

In college I interned for a minor league baseball team, and on the trade deadline day of 2004 I "broke" the Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir trade on the Mets ESPN board about an hour before it was announced. For that first hour, Mets fans did nothing but berate me about how stupid I was, what an idiot I am, etc. etc. etc. Needless to say, I'm glad that deal worked out the way it did.

I guess I'm a sucker. If he is a fraud, he is complex and devious. If he is legit, he is simple and sincere. Usually the simpler explanation is correct.

Fraud or not, this guy is a very close observer of the Pats and an uber-fan.

Usually people who pose as "insiders" are eager to convince everyone of their status. Even PT55, who does seem to "know somebody", couldn't resist arguing and arguing with skeptics to demonstrate his special status. NEInsider shows up and leaves.

If he were a fraud, his motive would be to attract attention. But his writing style and his posting habits do not follow that pattern. He is terse and to the point.

Nor is he a troll: who among us got excited about Wilhite and Slater? Even the most die-hard fans here were groaning over those picks. This guy is on cloud nine with them. You have to be a kook or a paid employee to get that hopped up about borderline prospects.

As far as his inability to spell "blossom" correctly. That's not a shocker. There are plenty of successful people in the US who can't spell. This isn't England.

He is familiar with a lot of new patriot info: Capers coaching the dbs, the bios of various draft picks. I read Wheatley's bio but wasn't aware he played a game with a broken rod in his wrist; I knew Mayo had graduated, but that was far from common knowledge. In fact, Charles Davis, a UT alum, was lecturing Mayo on NFL net during the draft, that he should have "stayed in school" instead of declaring (dumba$$). NEInsider is also familiar with BB's contempt for Carr, which I was unaware of until the Day 2 presser. If he were a fraud he would have had to watch the day 2 presser to glean that info. So that makes him an uber-fan fraud.

Another thing that works in his favor: his observations on Wheatley's backpedal seem accurate.

Think of the various public sources of info this guy would have had to draw from to craft fraudulent posts:

video of Wheatley's backpedal
video of Wilhite's backpedal
detailed player bios
BB's day 2 presser
published reports on Don Capers being DB coach
published reports on BB and Co visiting Auburn and working out Wilhite.

He would have had to assimilate a wide range of info, digest it, and pawn it off as his own while staying in character on a message board. That takes a lot of literary skill for a guy who can't spell "blossom".

When he repeats ideas we have read elsewhere, he doesn't use the same language. For example, when he refers to Crable's background, he doesn't mention "foster home", which has been mentioned in every other news article. Speaking for myself, if I were trying to pretend to be an insider, I would have thrown out "foster home" as a detail to demonstrate my depth of knowledge. This guy avoids the "foster home" connection, as though he doesn't feel like mentioning it out of respect for the player's privacy.

If he were a fraud, that kind of nuance would take great intelligence. If he were legit, that attitude would be natural. The simpler explanation is that he is a legit.

I also like the fact he accurately assesses how awful a coach Karl Dorell was.

I give the odds at 51% the insider is legit.

Last edited:

I think if he is real, then he must have permission from higher up. (Oh, that is a big "if".:) It fits, of course a Patriots insider would like all the draft picks. "Boy, we screwed up," is not a common thought.:))

There is no way Belichick or Kraft have time to "sign off" on some person posting on an ESPN message board. Seriously, what kind of operation do you think they run over there. Belichick is a tight lipped as anyone. I guarantee you he hasn't OK'd this....assuming it's true.

First off, who ever wrote that is knowledgeable about the Patriots, but nothing said in the post really said anything meaningful.

Here is my theory. It was posted at the direction of BB.

And for the few months NEInsider is going to post accurate or unverifiable tidbits of meaningless information until NEInsider has a reputation for actually having inside information.

Until bang, one week this season. NEInsider will post very specific and very valuable and very wrong information. Such as "Brady's injury is much worse than is being reported" When in fact Brady is 100% healed. Or "Pats are going respond to team X's offense by playing a lot of zone with minimal blitzes." When in fact the Pats are going to play most play man to man and blitz on half the plays. All with the hope that that a flunky on another team convinces the head coach that ESPN's NEInsider is actually a great source of info.

Now hows that for a conspiracy theory?

I believe that this information is real. Let's hope his predictions come true.

I do think his analysis of Wilhite's agility is a bit off. He has an unusually thick base for a cb and seems to drag just a bit when he flips his hips. Just enough to get him beat and cancel out his great intangibles. We'll see, I'm no professional and I really hope I'm wrong.

Crable has a lot of strength work to do on his lower half before I can get excited, although I am optimistic.

Mayo has all the measurables and intangibles. It's just about experience and health. Rooting for a young Lb to reach his potential is kind of like rooting for a young rb. It's all about staying healthy. Durability is a talent.

I feel the same way about Wheatley. His agility is special, his speed elite, his hands excellent. Durability is the only question.

If McDaniels can fix O'Connell's mechanics and make him more accurate, he will be a steal.

But if you can't get excited after reading that post, you're hardly human.

mcdaniels isn't talented enough to help O'Connell. he's no charlie weis.

I believe that this information is real.

Wonder how you would feel if he said Mayo was looking slow and over matched, Wheatley got schooled in drills, and Wilhite would be lucky to make it to camp before getting cut.

Yet again, he has said NOTHING that is not in the public domain. As far as I know, he did not wax lyrical about Jerod Mayo prior to the rumour on the Friday before the draft. He did not say anything about Wheatley or O'Connoll prior to the draft, or say what the Pats' priorities were coming into the draft.

He's interesting, but an insider he almost certainly is not.

Exactly, but no one around here cares. As long as he says nice things about the Patriots, people delude themselves into believing this guy is legit.

Wonder how you would feel if he said Mayo was looking slow and over matched, Wheatley got schooled in drills, and Wilhite would be lucky to make it to camp before getting cut.

I see what you mean. If a guy with your lackluster personality, negative attitude and shabby knowledge of the game claimed to be an insider, I would immediately detect him as a fraud.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

i gave up on him when he said this:

"This kid NEVER takes a play off and during the interview process actually made suggestions and observations on sets we run that raised Bill's eyebrows."

He's just telling fans what they want to hear. He's obviously done his homework, but he's just loving the limelight. He doesn't need to respond to his own posts because no-one ever questions him.

Probably dead on like PT55 and his assurance that we were taking Ellis at #7...misinformation is an important tool, and anyone who doesn't think BB uses every tool at his disposal to make his team better is deluding themself. Feed us mediocre but inspiring information that could have been had elsewhere, and then, blam, pull that carpet! I love it!
First off, who ever wrote that is knowledgeable about the Patriots, but nothing said in the post really said anything meaningful.

And for the few months NEInsider is going to post accurate or unverifiable tidbits of meaningless information until NEInsider has a reputation for actually having inside information.

Until bang, one week this season. NEInsider will post very specific and very valuable and very wrong information. Such as "Brady's injury is much worse than is being reported" When in fact Brady is 100% healed. Or "Pats are going respond to team X's offense by playing a lot of zone with minimal blitzes." When in fact the Pats are going to play most play man to man and blitz on half the plays. All with the hope that that a flunky on another team convinces the head coach that ESPN's NEInsider is actually a great source of info.

I disdain conspiracy theories but I LOVE this one! :D

Good job using BB's well known penchant for injury dis-information and projecting it onto the NEInsider concept.

I disdain conspiracy theories but I LOVE this one! :D

Good job using BB's well known penchant for injury dis-information and projecting it onto the NEInsider concept.
yes...that theory is really interesting...

Not to insult anyone, but what level of brain dead has the average fan reached of late?

Anyone bother sifting through each of those earlier post? You'll realize some of that supposed "inside info" was actually false and misleading, unless you're willing to overlook the obvious fiction in order to make yourself feel more well informed.

Some legit info has been present in these post, but that info was also readily available to the public for hours or days before hand. The same was obvious in regard to PT55, but a number of fans seemed to overlook the obvious BS he/she spewed on a daily basis as well.

For those who say "It's still good reading even if the person is a fraud", that's a completely short sighted and laughable stance. Go back over that one in your head a few times...realize how irrational it comes off?

Not to insult anyone, but what level of brain dead has the average fan reached of late?

Anyone bother sifting through each of those earlier post? You'll realize some of that supposed "inside info" was actually false and misleading, unless you're willing to overlook the obvious fiction in order to make yourself feel more well informed.

Some legit info has been present in these post, but that info was also readily available to the public for hours or days before hand. The same was obvious in regard to PT55, but a number of fans seemed to overlook the obvious BS he/she spewed on a daily basis as well.

For those who say "It's still good reading even if the person is a fraud", that's a completely short sighted and laughable stance. Go back over that one in your head a few times...realize how irrational it comes off?

I totally agree. I can't believe there are people falling for this guy. Nobody who had a real job with the Pats would get off on this kind of thing. You think a guy who actually hangs around with Belichick and Pioli and all those cats would get a thrill from letting cyber-moths fly around his little cyber-lamp here? It's silly.

I totally agree. I can't believe there are people falling for this guy. Nobody who had a real job with the Pats would get off on this kind of thing. You think a guy who actually hangs around with Belichick and Pioli and all those cats would get a thrill from letting cyber-moths fly around his little cyber-lamp here? It's silly.

I believe it, some people take message board's wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to seriously.

No inside info? I respectfully disagree.

"Have no clue who NEInsider is but he was right about Slater. In todays minicamp Slater worked exclusively with Capers at DB with up close coaching from Capers.

This person was right about ESPN and the draft before anyone mentioned it in the media. ESPN was missing from Foxboro during draft."

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nfl&id=nwe&tid=2751660&tsn=21

Welcome to Gillette
Link|Comments (0) Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff April 26, 2008 02:29 PM

FOXBOROUGH -- Welcome to Gillette Stadium, headquarters for the Patriots in today's NFL Draft.

Just to pass along a feel for how things are working here, members of the media are gathered in the press box, the same spot we come for game days. In the back of the press box is a rectangular table with a black speakerphone on it. That is how we will talk to the Patriots' draft picks today.

In terms of media interest, 74 credentials are expected to be issued today. That number could grow. The NFL Network has a television reporter here; ESPN does not.

More to come throughout the day.

--
Post #1: Apr 26, 4:46 pm Quote | Report Violation
Total Posts: 7

Mayo was the player targeted from day one. He blew us away in the on-site inerview. This kid is super smart, tough, flexible, and loves the game and a very high charater kid. His football smarts are off the chart as are his intangibles and leadership. This kid NEVER takes a play off and during the interview process actually made suggestions and observations on sets we run that raised Bill's eyebrows.

The trade was set up yesterday as Mayock just mentioned on NFL network. You will notice that ESPn had no interview with Bill but the NFL network did. ESPN asked and is still basically begging for Bill or Scott. Mayock and Bill have always been close and he has been the only guru Bill enjoys talking with. Mayock is highly respected around here.

More action is possible depending on whether a certain player is still available mid second round.

I guess it's possible that a Matt Walsh type would post stuff like this.

Nothing truly "inside" other than comments like "he blew us away in the interview." The rest is all opinion: I think the first-rounder is going to be great; I think the second-rounder is going to be great; I think both third-rounders are going to be great; and so forth.

Opening with the 4.61 time for O'Connell sounds much more like a fan than a scout. Who honestly cares what his 40 time is, at the pocket-passer position? We all saw the video of Brady "running" at his combine; that hasn't held him back much.

Maybe there is a young video scout who observes internal discussions who posts on ESPN. Given the Pats general dislike for ESPN (this team hates their coach...), it's pretty unlikely it's anyone who's been around the Pats a couple years.

There is no way Belichick or Kraft have time to "sign off" on some person posting on an ESPN message board. Seriously, what kind of operation do you think they run over there. Belichick is a tight lipped as anyone. I guarantee you he hasn't OK'd this....assuming it's true.

He would if Kraft insisted on PR after they closed out ESPN, who, as he predicted, were not at Gillette for the draft. He has had nothing Earth shattering, just good PR for Kraft Media.

BB has one person that can trump him if it is PR, not running the team.

I have not been able to determine the exact identity of the person posting as NEInsider, but by following the reverse IP addresses look ups, I can determine that the posting were made by a computer using an IP address assigned to the Kaanapali Golf course in Hawaii.

I have no idea how someone in Hawaii would have such inside information into the Patriots practices.

:singing::p;)

Exactly, but no one around here cares. As long as he says nice things about the Patriots, people delude themselves into believing this guy is legit.

I ignored Gomezcat, but apparently that was wrong.

Hey, you two may be right. He maybe a fraud. Your reasoning is of an idiot.

If it was a big secret that they liked Mayo, what insider shouts that secret from the rooftops? Seriously? Are you and gomezcat actually stating that as your reason?

Dudes, there are good reasons that someone can't point out are stupid.

It's bull****.
Take that for what it is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back