PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE trades for WR/KR Patterson !

Status
Not open for further replies.
But who could we have signed for $3.5 million that would solve our pass rushing problems?

If it was assured this would be our last move of the off-season, certainly people can be concerned about LT and the overall pass rush. But it's still March, we still have the draft, we still have some cap space and the ability to make more with some restructures/extensions.

The Pats are making the team better, it's not their job to only improve the team in the correct order of importance.

It isn't the 3 million on its own, its the X+3.5 million

Except that when he lines up, the defense will probably know what is coming.

We don’t have to throw the ball to him every time he lines up. They could also be decoy plays. Fake a jet sweep and hand the ball off or becomes play action. Etc.

We have to be the Kings of swapping picks and trading back a round to pick up a player in the last year of his deal.

It's a great strategy because the late rounds are such a crap shoot anyways. They at least have years worth of NFL film on padderson and will know what they're getting

It's also low risk because it's typically someone with a deal that isn't long term and is easily manageable if you have to cut bait

If they have a productive year, then we have a player they can feel comfortable either resigning for more money or they leave via FA and we get a potential compensatory pick.

I'm not thrilled about padderson as a receiver, but I was not aware of how good his returning skills and career stats were... That's one less way for Cyrus Jones to make the team now

I can see them creating some special packages for padderson that have screens, reverses, deep posts and even some runs.. some of the roles they had Hernandez in will be able to be replicated by him, but he's not even close to the same level of competency in receiving skills

Wait so are the Patriots still in the mix for WR Cordarrelle Pattreosn??:confused: Nevermind!:rolleyes:

I hope you know that it was meant ironic. There is probably no player that can be compared to Moss.

I know I just have a soft spot for Randy Moss and just sorry he didn't get a ring.

besides, if he runs a deep pattern, he'll help open up the middle for Edelman.
Correct you have to respect the speed and the chance he goes catch a deep ball because if he does he's going for 6.
Would love to see him put it all together like go with Tom to throw around like Edelman and Admendola did.
His ceiling is a stronger Sammy Watkins his floor is Chad Jackson

I look this trade a lot. Honestly I didn't watch him in Raiders but in Vikings before he was traded he had been a great punt returner. Also he had some good moments with unstable Vikings QBs. Even if Patterson's role is mark to be only a punt returner I am ok with that fact. We've lost Dola and Lewis, our last season punt returner s and Edelma is coming back from an injury. It is obvious that no one wants to see him being exploited that's why Patterson would be a remedy. Telling the truth I was sick and tired watching permanent fair catches when Lewis touched the ball.

Correct you have to respect the speed and the chance he goes catch a deep ball because if he does he's going for 6.
Would love to see him put it all together like go with Tom to throw around like Edelman and Admendola did.

I have no hope in Patterson learning our Offense I couldn't even wish that why?? More proven WR's have failed in this very system and Patterson haven't been a world beater anywhere as a Receiver.

We don’t have to throw the ball to him every time he lines up. They could also be decoy plays. Fake a jet sweep and hand the ball off or becomes play action. Etc.

So, you want to put a player on the offense who will just be a decoy and if he has to run a route, may end up running the wrong route or a poor route, thus screwing up the combination routes the Patriots often run?

I liked him coming out of college, but nothing I've seen from him makes him anything more than a kick return and gadget guy. Which, I think we can all agree. The Patriots offense runs best when they just run their offense and don't do anything fancy.

So, you want to put a player on the offense who will just be a decoy and if he has to run a route, may end up running the wrong route or a poor route, thus screwing up the combination routes the Patriots often run?

I liked him coming out of college, but nothing I've seen from him makes him anything more than a kick return and gadget guy. Which, I think we can all agree. The Patriots offense runs best when they just run their offense and don't do anything fancy.

Gadget plays helped them beat Baltimore in 2014, and Jacksonville on the way to the last Super Bowl. Focusing only on the ones that don't work is only seeing half the picture. Now, if Patterson is ONLY good for gadget plays, then I'm with you. But it seems he has value on more than one ST unit, and with potentially four WR's ahead of him, he could easily just make his mark there. Having a KR and gunner who can also run a few explosive offensive plays isn't a bad way to use a bottom of the roster spot. If he doesn't earn that, he gets cut, and we've lost very little.

His floor is being cut mid August. And his ceiling definitely is not Watkins. Watkins has considerably better hands.

I look this trade a lot. Honestly I didn't watch him in Raiders but in Vikings before he was traded he had been a great punt returner. Also he had some good moments with unstable Vikings QBs. Even if Patterson's role is mark to be only a punt returner I am ok with that fact. We've lost Dola and Lewis, our last season punt returner s and Edelma is coming back from an injury. It is obvious that no one wants to see him being exploited that's why Patterson would be a remedy. Telling the truth I was sick and tired watching permanent fair catches when Lewis touched the ball.

That’s a great point about unstable quarterbacks. He might be better with the goat throwing to him. Also, any defense will have to cover him because he’s a tall and dangerous player, if you slack on him he will burn you out. With cooks out there, hogan, gronk etc. Brady’s going to complete something 75 percent of the time

I have no hope in Patterson learning our Offense I couldn't even wish that why?? More proven WR's have failed in this very system and Patterson haven't been a world beater anywhere as a Receiver.
He seems determined and always said that being passed by New England motivated him well now he can show the man who basically traded him away in the draft himself.
Im rooting for the kid to be a beast and will hold that hope til I'm proven wrong.
At the very least he's the best kick returner we've had since Bethel Johnson and Brandon Tate barring injury.

Gadget plays helped them beat Baltimore in 2014, and Jacksonville on the way to the last Super Bowl. Focusing only on the ones that don't work is only seeing half the picture. Now, if Patterson is ONLY good for gadget plays, then I'm with you. But it seems he has value on more than one ST unit, and with potentially four WR's ahead of him, he could easily just make his mark there. Having a KR and gunner who can also run a few explosive offensive plays isn't a bad way to use a bottom of the roster spot. If he doesn't earn that, he gets cut, and we've lost very little.

Those gadget plays were run with regular offensive personnel. Patterson will likely never be in the regular offense.

I agree, he will be an awesome kick returner, but how much is the best kick returner in the league worth? Especially when it is so easy to nullify the KR by kicking the ball out of the end zone.

Three 1st rounders at WR and all the balls still go to a 7th round pick QB conversion and a UFDA former LaCrosse player. This is the Patriots for sure.

(Edit: someone pointed out that their are FOUR first rounders. I had forgot Cooks since he actually catches balls - didn't support my point)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST