PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE to move up for QB Mayfield acc. to his agent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he is trying to get a top deal with the Browns like "see, you guys drafted the guy NE wanted" and avoid a Chargers/Bosa situation.

a follow up fwiw

According to The Athletic, the Patriots had been trying to get a visit with Mayfield scheduled, but Mayfield repeatedly declined to schedule a meeting because he didn’t think there was any way he would fall to No. 23, which was the Patriots’ first pick. But Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels told a member of Mayfield’s camp that the Patriots were considering a trade way up to No. 2, and that’s why Mayfield agreed to meet with the Patriots.

a follow up fwiw

According to The Athletic, the Patriots had been trying to get a visit with Mayfield scheduled, but Mayfield repeatedly declined to schedule a meeting because he didn’t think there was any way he would fall to No. 23, which was the Patriots’ first pick. But Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels told a member of Mayfield’s camp that the Patriots were considering a trade way up to No. 2, and that’s why Mayfield agreed to meet with the Patriots.
Bah, wah, say it ain't so!!!

BB's hatred of Cleveland knows no boundaries!! He spent half of his draft prep convincing them that if they didn't take Mayfield at #1 he would trade up to #2 and Mayfield would become the second coming of Tom Brady! Flush with the thought that they would be seeing the E:60 documentary in ten years "Cleveland the team that passed on 4 time SB champ Mayfield", Cleveland cast all scouting reports and football knowledge aside and took Mayfield at #1.

BTW my head would have exploded worst than it did with the Wynn pick, if BB was in position to draft Barkley or Chubb and took Mayfield!!!

Actually he was more offended when you said he was the worst pick they ever made, and then went nuts when they chose to keep him over Bledsoe. And I’m sure he didn’t like it when you said his career was over when he blew his knee out, or when you said he was toast after the KC game in 2014, and that they should trade him and keep a Garrapolo.

You're too funny.

Don't ever change Igor

Won't Bradys feelings be hurt with this news?
Nah, this is nothing. He’ll be fine. Now, not winning Patriot player of the week.....that’s a totally different beast....:oops:

I remember once reading about FA saying the the Patriots inquire about everyone. I always keep that in mind, I bet they did inquire about Mayfield - I doubt they would have traded what it would have takes which would have been the two #1, two #2s and probably the #3 also.

Exactly. They inquire about everyone. They leave no stones unturned.

Always been like that.

I personally believe that the Pats were all in at getting Mayfield during the predraft process. Remember that as late as March he was being projected to go in the mid to late 1st round. There was even some discussion that he might fall to the 2nd! The Pats were probably expecting to easily pick him up. But suddenly, for reasons we can only guess at, he shot up the draft boards of the entire league. The 5th ranked QB in the draft class almost overnight became a sure top 5 pick. So that completely screwed up the entire Pats draft board. How on Earth his stock skyrocketed is absurd and makes no sense.
Probably because the Browns got wind of the Pats interest and said to themselves "That BB loves him so he must be the next GOAT" so they pretty much had Belichick make the pick for them :)

I find this hard to believe. It's basically stating that the ONLY QB the Pats liked was Mayfield, having passed up EVERY other QB when they had multiple chances to pick one. They could have easily traded up to pick Rosen at 10, and the cost would've been much less. And all the talk about their love of Jackson, was complete BS as I find this story to be.

God, quit your btchin, you can always go find a team that has "sexy" drafts every year...
I hear the J E T E are a great team to follow in March and April

Chandler Jones
Qualin Dont'a Hightower

Sometimes they move up.

I mean we can all agree that there is a difference between moving up a few slots or throwing your entire draft (and future picks) to move to the second spot, right ?

I mean we can all agree that there is a difference between moving up a few slots or throwing your entire draft (and future picks) to move to the second spot, right ?

He was claiming we wouldn't move up two spots even for a super star, which I refuted.

Glad this didn’t happen.

Everyone was on that mayfield bandwagon. It will be interesting to see who turns out to be the best QB of this class. For the browns sake he doesn't start until the later parts of the season.

Given that Gettleman insisted that he never took a single trade offer seriously for #2, and that he rejected the Bills offer (they had more capital to work with), I have a very difficult time believing this. It sounds more like an agent pumping up his client prior to contract negotiations.
Totally agree. It's easy to say that the best team in football wanted your client when there's no way to prove it, and the Pats will never confirm or deny it either way. Plus, moving up to take this guy at No. 2 would have created almost the same unworkable situation as it did with Jimmy G - having to devote too much $$ to the QB situation when one of them is going to have to ride the bench for what looks to be at least two more years.

He was claiming we wouldn't move up two spots even for a super star, which I refuted.
I was exaggerating their shrewdness we all exaggerate at some point in our lives but my point is the capital it would cost NE to move up to 2 would be way too much for them to pull the trigger on it

Your hand can talk? Nice
XgnfHrr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes