PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE to move up for QB Mayfield acc. to his agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Confirms what Ian wrote in his article. Sheds some new light on NE QB search . esp. about Pats QB prototypes. Its a 2-year window remaining most likely Id guess so it will be interesting to see how they go forward..

“We had another team which is going to surprise you. Another team had said, ‘You may get a big surprise on draft day, at No. 2, if he’s available.’ And it was the Patriots,” Mills said. “They had 23 and they had 31 and they had two seconds. We thought, ‘That’s gonna be a heck of a move, to get up that high from where they are.’ And of course he wasn’t available so we never knew if that was reality or not.”

Last edited:
Given that Gettleman insisted that he never took a single trade offer seriously for #2, and that he rejected the Bills offer (they had more capital to work with), I have a very difficult time believing this. It sounds more like an agent pumping up his client prior to contract negotiations.

Given that Gettleman insisted that he never took a single trade offer seriously for #2, and that he rejected the Bills offer (they had more capital to work with), I have a very difficult time believing this. It sounds more like an agent pumping up his client prior to contract negotiations.

Not necessarily. This was pre-draft. Josh flew to him (as Ian writes today). Probably about option if he wasn't drafted too high. He'll get paid the same Pats or no Pats.

I remember once reading about FA saying the the Patriots inquire about everyone. I always keep that in mind, I bet they did inquire about Mayfield - I doubt they would have traded what it would have takes which would have been the two #1, two #2s and probably the #3 also.

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
I personally believe that the Pats were all in at getting Mayfield during the predraft process. Remember that as late as March he was being projected to go in the mid to late 1st round. There was even some discussion that he might fall to the 2nd! The Pats were probably expecting to easily pick him up. But suddenly, for reasons we can only guess at, he shot up the draft boards of the entire league. The 5th ranked QB in the draft class almost overnight became a sure top 5 pick. So that completely screwed up the entire Pats draft board. How on Earth his stock skyrocketed is absurd and makes no sense.

Actually if BB and Getleman were talking they likely agreed to keep it quiet. You know BB don't like people talking.

I wouldn't be surprised if they planned to trade up for him if he fell into the 9 or 10 range. Especially considering how many times they ended up trading down afterward. Once he went #1 overall, that would have been insanity.

Not necessarily. This was pre-draft. Josh flew to him (as Ian writes today). Probably about option if he wasn't drafted too high. He'll get paid the same Pats or no Pats.

I'm talking more about the optics of when the news broke (post-draft). Part of it may be to sell the pick to fans who wanted Darnold. There's also still some wiggle room in rookie contracts for offsets, splits to the signing bonus, etc. I'm thinking of the Bosa holdout. Perhaps Mayfield's agent doesn't want a similar situation? I have no real idea -- it's just the timing that seems strange.

Won't Bradys feelings be hurt with this news?

Actually he was more offended when you said he was the worst pick they ever made, and then went nuts when they chose to keep him over Bledsoe. And I’m sure he didn’t like it when you said his career was over when he blew his knee out, or when you said he was toast after the KC game in 2014, and that they should trade him and keep a Garrapolo.

I don't know what the big deal is. It could very well be true, but it never happened. Who cares?

New England wouldn't even move up 2 spots in the 1st round if JJ Watt were available and it would only cost them a 7th so I don't believe this **** for a second

New England wouldn't even move up 2 spots in the 1st round if JJ Watt were available and it would only cost them a 7th so I don't believe this **** for a second

Chandler Jones
Qualin Dont'a Hightower

Sometimes they move up.

:rolleyes:

Don't you want to know the cost of moving up so you can gauge what it will cost others?

Seems reasonable to me to know this info for every draft.

It sounds more like an agent pumping up his client prior to contract negotiations.

Under the current CBA there's really not much to negotiate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back