PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE season slowstarts since 2001 statically favor us

Status
Not open for further replies.

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not sure if this warrants a new thread and understand this season's success has nothing to do with past seasons, but thought this stat needed to be pointed out prior to Miami game:

We have started slow five times in the Brady era. First in 01 and recently last season (the news mentioned this stat today). During these five slowstarts we have:

Won SB
Won SB
AFCCG loss
Won SB
Lost SB

While it might not mean much, its interesting to note 3 of our five rings are in seasons with slower starts. I can't really explain why, but some of you might.

So, we should remain calm a few more weeks if history means anything.

You’re lying to yourself if you can’t see that this feels different.
Nah.

As I stated in other threads I see our holes/issues, though history statisically favors us. Im not saying history means much for the 2018 Patriots, but at the very least we shouldn't worry just yet. Three of our five rings come from slow start seasons, one being in 01 when we lost our starting QB and started 1-3. Nobody expected much from that season.

I've learned never to count out a healthy TB12 and Coach BB. I thought in 2014 we were doomed they looked flat and Brady was playing worse than now and we all know what happened. Season is a marathon not a sprint as long as we have Tom and Bill I like our chances

I've learned never to count out a healthy TB12 and Coach BB. I thought in 2014 we were doomed they looked flat and Brady was playing worse than now and we all know what happened. Season is a marathon not a sprint as long as we have Tom and Bill I like our chances
The 2014 D had a little more impact talent than the 2018 D does. That said, I won't panic until the midway point of the season.

You’re lying to yourself if you can’t see that this feels different.

For me the "Milloy" Buffalo loss and the KC loss were both worse. It does not feel much different. We will see. There is so much personnel turnover every year the first 4 games are always tough.

Right now Hogan and Dorsett are competing against 1s and 2s. In two weeks they will be competing against 3s and 4s. Then it will all change on the offensive side.

Defensively I am not sure I have an answer. It seems like Gillmore, DMac, Harmon and Chung should know how to handle bunched formations and crossing/rub routes, but they don't. Guy, Brown, Butler, HT, etc should know how to shed blocks and maintain their gaps, but they don't. I am not knowledgeable enough to see how the defensive side gets fixed.

I guess it is easier to understand how adding Edelman and J Gordon makes the offense better while defensively it is harder to envision because it has to be a scheme improvement.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PP2
2014 team was loaded with talent. 2018 is not.

Mmm...i always look today and tomorrow not yesterday and for the moment i only want a win next sunday...
This year looks crucial and i want the long run continue...

I'm not worried about the offense. With Gordon and Edelman's return and Michel reacting more to what he sees instead of having to process it first, the offense will get figured out as the season goes along. The defense is what concerns me with this team since I don't see that we have anyone currently on staff that can stabilize the run D up front. The speed of the LBs is also nonexistent in pass-heavy league and the play from the #2 corner has not been inspiring. Hopefully Dawson or Jones can stabilize that position. But the run D has to be fixed first with everything else falling in behind that. Maybe promoting Valentine will do the job or maybe they have to pull the trigger on a trade. Not sure. But if that isn't fixed, this team isn't sniffing a Super Bowl this season.

May want to check on what statistics means.

I’ll say this. If the pats can lose what they lost and still challenge. That means a lot.

The 2014 D had a little more impact talent than the 2018 D does. That said, I won't panic until the midway point of the season.

Just a little...;)

Certainly more important to finish the season strong than to start strong.

I see that Andy and Wordsmyth don't agree that 2014 was more talented than 2018.

2014: Front seven with talented young players including Chandler Jones, Jamie Collins and HT (at that time). Still decent enough players in Ninkovich and Wilfork.

One of our best secondaries that included Revis and Browner (who had a good year). McCourty still in his prime

This year we have a run D that can't stop anything, slow linebackers, and our "best players" who currently are looking washed up. We have ONE player who I feel at all confident in and that is Gilmore.

Our offense could still prove to be extremely talented and effective with Edelman and Gordon but the defense is extremely deficient in talent compared to 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes