PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE met with Waddle - WADDLE IS HERE TO STAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm the media didn’t say they would get 6-10 mill a year, you did.
The media had Fleming as the top OT available. My comment was about Fleming, and about the market. What was the AAV of the top OT's?

The media had Fleming as the top OT available. My comment was about Fleming, and about the market. What was the AAV of the top OT's?
“The media” has Nate Solder as the top OT.
It’s your own fault you were fooled into thinking that when the best guy left sucked he would get paid like he didn’t.
Finding it surprising that yiubare defending your prediction and bkaming it on the media.

It’s your own fault you were fooled into thinking that when the best guy left sucked he would get paid like he didn’t.
Finding it surprising that yiubare defending your prediction and bkaming it on the media.
I'm not blaming anyone. I read lots and lots about available OTs. Obviously, I should have stopped after reading your comments.

You don't take complements well.

All right. This is my last post on the subject.

Yes, Solder was the #1 OT available. Almost everyone expected him to be re-signed.

FLEMING was #2 by some, a bit lower by others. Hubbard (who signed a contract for 5/$37.5M) was #3. Waddle was in the middle of the pack of the 33 OT that were free agents.

WalterFootball.com: 2018 NFL Free Agents - Offensive Tackles

The market for the #2 OT was indeed $6M AAV or so. Hubbard was deemed to be that player, not Fleming.

I overvalued Fleming. Clearly the team had little use for him.

Waddle was/is a major injury risk. Belichick took the injury risk, as is often the case.

Wow soo cheap room for one or 2 more decent moves.

Lol at the posters who were annoyed that the Pats didn’t trade for Veldheer and his 6.5 million cap hit instead of signing Waddle. You know who you are...

This is a steal. Flat out theft.

Watch Jelks emerge as a legitimate starting LT by mid-year, with Waddle there this cheaply, backing up (along with Garcia). Unreal that the Pats keep doing this. Waddle would be an upgrade as a backup OT for many teams.

Lol at the posters who were annoyed that the Pats didn’t trade for Veldheer and his 6.5 million cap hit instead of signing Waddle. You know who you are...
I'm not one of those posters.

However, LOL at those who think that Waddle is anywhere near as good as Veldheer. It takes a special kind of hubris to believe that Waddle is as good as Veldheer and no one would pay him more than chump change.

Last edited:
...It is going to be expensive but I'd much rather give a 1st for a solid vet on a deal NE can afford than draft a tackle again - IF any of Garcia, Jelks, Croston can be the future. Unfortunately we couldn't have any insight on the first two so it remains a big IF.
There is absolutely no way that I would part with another 1st-rounder (Bill already did that last year on the Lost Little Cookie when he could've had the LT of the Future in Ryan Ramczyk), even for a vet LT unless he had MULTIPLE cost-controlled years remaining on his contract.

I don't think that we even have competition for the 5th IOL. Karras and Croston seem set.
If we acquire a starting LT, Croston can be the #4, allowing us to carry 8 OL's. BTW, all the offensive lineman would also be all set for 2019 (with Mason being franchised if necessary).

Is there room on that Croston train for me?

At the very least, he should be able to be the 5th IOL with capacity to back up the tackle position, too.

Prediction: Cole Croston will be our starting left tackle (barring a trade for a veteran LT).

Is there room on that Croston train for me?

At the very least, he should be able to be the 5th IOL with capacity to back up the tackle position, too.

I don't think that we even have competition for the 5th IOL. Karras and Croston seem set.
If we acquire a starting LT, Croston can be the #4, allowing us to carry 8 OL's. BTW, all the offensive lineman would also be all set for 2019 (with Mason being franchised if necessary).
You people do realize, don't you, that Cole Croston really, really SUCKS, right?

You people do realize, don't you, that Cole Croston really, really SUCKS, right?
You can't suck and be in the NFL.

He's at best a backup which is servicable

People said the same about Josh Kline, who has gone on to have an NFL career and was recently ranked the #52nd available free agent in the annual top 100 list. Is that opinionated? Sure, but it at least proves that he wasn’t the horrible player that many here felt that he was.

Croston has size, length, versatility, and speed to be one of our top 8-9 OL, which is exactly what he was last year. If there’s someone who can play both IOL and OT who can bump him off in TC, that’s fine too. In the meantime, I can at least see why he’d be included in the conversation.

People said the same about Josh Kline, who has gone on to have an NFL career and was recently ranked the #52nd available free agent in the annual top 100 list. Is that opinionated? Sure, but it at least proves that he wasn’t the horrible player that many here felt that he was.

Croston has size, length, versatility, and speed to be one of our top 8-9 OL, which is exactly what he was last year. If there’s someone who can play both IOL and OT who can bump him off in TC, that’s fine too. In the meantime, I can at least see why he’d be included in the conversation.

Kline sucked. He persisted, though, and that's kept him in the league, which is great for him.

Kline sucked. He persisted, though, and that's kept him in the league, which is great for him.
I don’t think we’d be pondering the idea of Croston seeing any real time at LT if not for the lack of better options, but maybe he continues his upward trajectory from making the team as an UDFA and shows more improvement.

I don’t think that Kline necessarily sucked quite as bad as some believe. I think he was mediocre, but has continued to progress. Obviously, I understand that’s only my opinion, though.

I don’t think we’d be pondering the idea of Croston seeing any real time at LT if not for the lack of better options, but maybe he continues his upward trajectory from making the team as an UDFA and shows more improvement.

I don’t think that Kline necessarily sucked quite as bad as some believe. I think he was mediocre, but has continued to progress. Obviously, I understand that’s only my opinion, though.

I don't think Kline really "sucked". He was more than adequate to get the Pats through a lot of injuries, starting 20 games in his three seasons with the Pats. That said, Mason and Thuney are significantly better, IMHO.

Still, it's nice to see that he's continued to develop with the Titans as a full time starter on one of the top OL in the league the past two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back