PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE met with Waddle - WADDLE IS HERE TO STAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Who thought this would be big FA news a year ago?
That could mean Waddle has priority over Fleming (while there's interest in both) . which makes sense..

From Reiss:

Free-agent Patriots offensive tackle LaAdrian Waddle was at Gillette Stadium on Friday, which is one indication that coach Bill Belichick still has an interest in his return. A visit like that usually means a few things: A deal might not be far off, and/or the club wanted to give him a physical so it has updated information as it works through the negotiating process.

Last edited:
I hope they find a way to re-sign him. I thought he did good for us (when healthy). Plus with Garcia being a big question mark, we need him. The Tobin signing is more for depth I believe, I don't think he's starter material.

Cannon at LT and Waddle at RT. Croston and Tobin as depth. McDermott and Garcia fighting for a spot. Probably going to add another Tackle through the draft and I would still explore a trade for a LT who could start for us right away but this isn't as bad as people think.

tumblr_mp1af465ik1rt6kpxo1_r1_250%2BStar%2BTrek%2Btribbles.gif

probably i am in minority here but i have to admit if we have to chosee between Fleming and Waddle i vould vote Fleming

i have this impression (probably a wrong one)...

Cannon at LT and Waddle at RT. Croston and Tobin as depth. McDermott and Garcia fighting for a spot. Probably going to add another Tackle through the draft and I would still explore a trade for a LT who could start for us right away but this isn't as bad as people think.

They will not move Cannon to LT. It makes no sense to move even more chairs than necessary. Keep him where he has been among the leagues best and give whoever ends up LT extra help.

McDermott and Garcia fighting for a spot.

McDermott is fighting for a spot with a different team.

They will not move Cannon to LT. It makes no sense to move even more chairs than necessary. Keep him where he has been among the leagues best and give whoever ends up LT extra help.

1. Lombardi says (and he's far from the only one) there's no real difference between LT and RT anymore.
2. Dante likes to put OL players in certain position early TC and don't move unless necessary.

Since Solder is gone, Cannon was out in 2017 and Waddle/Fleming played at RT - I could see Cannon at LT at the start of TC - if they don't trade for an established LT..

Last edited:

Wow I thought McDermott was on our Practice Squad. Had not realized he got pilfered. Just adds need for more depth doesn't really change that if we re-sign Waddle we are in pretty good shape.

As to Cannon at LT I just think he's our Best OL and I'd prefer he protects Brady's blindside over Waddle or a rookie. If we trade for a LT who has starting experience that's one thing otherwise I think Cannon is the best option.

Here you have Lombardi's discussion on LT-RT - go to 37:30 - takes 2 min:

(there's discussion on problems of developing OL @18:30 and Pats moving on form Solder @ 21:30)

That could mean Waddle has priority over Fleming (while there's interest in both) . which makes sense..

From Reiss:

Free-agent Patriots offensive tackle LaAdrian Waddle was at Gillette Stadium on Friday, which is one indication that coach Bill Belichick still has an interest in his return. A visit like that usually means a few things: A deal might not be far off, and/or the club wanted to give him a physical so it has updated information as it works through the negotiating process.

I think Tobin is Fleming’s replacement for the Jumbo OL packages, Waddle would have to be a starter as things stand right now.

1. Lombardi says (and he's far from the only one) there's no real difference between LT and RT anymore.
2. Dante likes to put OL players in certain position early TC and don't move unless necessary.

Since Solder is gone, Cannon was out in 2017 and Waddle/Fleming played at RT - I could easily see Cannon at LT at the start of TC - if they don't trade for an established LT..

I think Lombardi is underselling continuity from the perspective of the guard and the RT. But thats my personal opinion. Mechanically the only difference really is that you used to face more speed on the left but I guess that line is blurring quickly.

I think Lombardi is underselling continuity from the perspective of the guard and the RT. But thats my personal opinion. Mechanically the only difference really is that you used to face more speed on the left but I guess that line is blurring quickly.

That is a good point. Mason and Cannon are bulldozers in run blocking together and w RBs like Hill/Gilly to be effective it makes sense to pair them. Waddle was ok at LT previously when fully healthy. To me it could go either way. If Fleming would be the one they signed . then Id leaned towards Cannon to LT..

That is a good point. Mason and Cannon are bulldozers in run blocking together and w RBs like Hill/Gilly to be effective it makes sense to pair them. Waddle was ok at LT previously when fully healthy. To me it could go either way. If Fleming would be the one they signed . then Id leaned towards Cannon to LT..

Personally I dont want Fleming anywhere on my OL except in jumbo packages. I think he is a terrible tackle. So LT is the very, very, very last place I want to see him.

Lt by commmittee? Lol

I like waddle alot as a spot starter but not sure he can hold up a full season starter, from a durability standpoint either. Tobin doesn’t appear to be starter material either unless scar can work some magic. I mean who saw cannon as a legit rt before 2016... at the very least we’ll have excellent depth at tackle if waddle is retained - but id still hope lt is an area bb is planning to address.

probably i am in minority here but i have to admit if we have to chosee between Fleming and Waddle i vould vote Fleming

i have this impression (probably a wrong one)...
My opinion is a bit different.

My opinion is a bit different.
the point is that I AM not sure he is healthy...durability could be an issue...but i could be wrong...

Whatever Pats do- I'm not concerned.
See, there's this guy named Dante...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill