PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name One Prospect That Would Transform The Team

Re Feeney and Ragnow. There is an argument that these two possible missed opportunities don’t necessarily reflect the situation now. Feeney predated Andrews’ new contract and Ragnow was someone that Brett Bielema said was the best offensive lineman he’d coached since Joe Thomas so that could just have been a case of the value being too good in terms of the Pats’ grading. The other possibility of course is that we think Andrews is upgradeable.

Lawrence’s pff grade is almost identical to Vita Vea’s.

Who is PFF’s highest rated interior pass rusher? I remember reading Flowers write up about being 2nd in the Nation in pressures when he was coming out of college. He translated well enough into the NFL.

Who is PFF’s highest rated interior pass rusher? I remember reading Flowers write up about being 2nd in the Nation in pressures when he was coming out of college. He translated well enough into the NFL.
Tillery I believe.

DT is starting to become the popular pick for us at 32 and three names keep coming up:
Lawrence, Simmons and Tillery.

Lawrence could start immediately as he had nfl strength. The tape of him destroying the centers for mcgary state (a projected day one draft pick) and Texas a&m (a projected day 2 pick) all game long is amazing.

Tillery is different in that he can play multiple positions along the d line.

Simmons after a red shirt year could end up being the best of all of them. He is nfl strong and special at slipping blocks and stacking run blockers. It all led to and a tremendous season in the sec.
miss state was the best defense in the sec last year and it all started with him dominating the front. His game against Alabama was amazing. He and abrams are must haves from that defense!

Sorry to be a party pooper but now single pick will really matter but if they can hit a few doubles this year and next year their cap position will be much improved.

Maybe one starter this year with 3-4 quality backups would be nice.

Hockenson/Fant - The load they are able to take off Gronkowski would be two fold: It would give the team another pass catching TE threat and have Gronk more likely to be fresh for the playoffs.

AJ Brown - He can step in day 1 IMO as the 1B to Edelman if Gordon is suspended. A great player & a great fit for the offense (A more luxurious Deebo Samuel).

Dexter Lawrence - If he’s truly an elite NT, he would help the D get to more 2nd/3rd & long situations where the pass defense can shine.

Wildcard: Hakeem Butler - His outcomes could range from WR3-4 with as a developmental player to winning OROY. I remain fascinated with Butler as he is one of the most volatile & unique players in the draft.

I've been thinking lately that Brown and Butler (or Boykin, if they want a lower pick with more of a gamble for upside) would be a pretty sweet pairing at WR. I don't know if we'd pick a receiver in the first, but AJ Brown would probably feast here. He's also a Patriots fan. ;)

Re Feeney and Ragnow. There is an argument that these two possible missed opportunities don’t necessarily reflect the situation now. Feeney predated Andrews’ new contract and Ragnow was someone that Brett Bielema said was the best offensive lineman he’d coached since Joe Thomas so that could just have been a case of the value being too good in terms of the Pats’ grading. The other possibility of course is that we think Andrews is upgradeable.
Adding to that, Ragnow predated Mason’s new contract. Matt Patricia played Ragnow at left guard last season. Maybe Belichick didn’t think he could extend Mason at that point and looked at Ragnow as his replacement.

I’m pretty sure it’s Quinnen Williams and they really like Tillery too. I’m not sure I’m remembering this properly or not but I think they had Flowers with a first round grade. They really liked him. Others they were very high on were Grady Jarrett and Adrian Amos. Needless to say, I put a lot of stock in PFF’s draft input. One of the reasons I’m so high on Zach Allen this year.

I’m pretty sure it’s Quinnen Williams and they really like Tillery too. I’m not sure I’m remembering this properly or not but I think they had Flowers with a first round grade. They really liked him. Others they were very high on were Grady Jarrett and Adrian Amos. Needless to say, I put a lot of stock in PFF’s draft input. One of the reasons I’m so high on Zach Allen this year.

Allen is a very intriguing prospect. At his size and with his skill set, he fits at multiple positions along the defensive line. These are the type guys that bb turns into solid players.

But Allen does not appear to have any buzz going in this draft. It is probably people paying too much attention to his combine and not enough to the tape,

I do, too. Some give PFF a hard time but what better way to get a feeling about a prospect than have a grading system that grades every play (assuming you understand the grading system)? I don't think there is anything better. Production matters. Sure, you still need to project the talent to the next level and it might not work with undersized guys or guys who are not athletic enough but if there are prospects who check those boxes and then were ultra productive and highly graded in college, I want them.

I'm not quiet sure where Zach Allen is going to fall but if he could be had at the end of the 2nd round that would be tremendous. His athletic profile is not that far off from Flowers and he was very good at BC.

Man, I would be one happy camper if we could land Tillery/Lawrence in the first and then Allen in the 2nd round.

The biggest issue with Dexter Lawerence i have is can he bring a pass rush on third down, also that Failed Drug test is a warning sign

If Simmons is there at 32 i think it would be hard to say no to him, his interview with us would be hugely important for that single off field incident. If he didn't tear his knee up he's a top 5 guy all day long.

The biggest issue with Dexter Lawerence i have is can he bring a pass rush on third down, also that Failed Drug test is a warning sign

If Simmons is there at 32 i think it would be hard to say no to him, his interview with us would be hugely important for that single off field incident. If he didn't tear his knee up he's a top 5 guy all day long.
I think he is an excellent pass rusher for being 340 pounds and an immovable object in the running game. His pressure stats are pretty good. Very good in pushing the pocket. Won't be a 10 sack guy but his pass rush combined with elite run defense is enough for me to say he would be a steal 32. I rate Simmons as a slightly better prospect because he is elite as a run defender and pass rusher. Run defender as good as Lawrence and pass rusher as good as Q/Tillery but I don't think he is that much better than Lawrence to pick him there with the redshirt season in mind.

Lawrence's pff pass rush grade is identical to Vita Vea's and there were plenty lusting after Vea last year. He's not a pure pass rusher for sure, but we have Butler and Bennett that can provide interior pass rush for us but Lawrence is certainly someone that can push the interior of the pocket on passing downs. He might not be the one to get to the QB but he can certainly enable others to get there.

I would agree with Fant. The Patriots did use a first and a third for Daniel Graham.

At combine:

Graham: 6'3", 248 pounds, 4.64 '40', 118 broad, 36 vertical
Fant 6'4", 249 pounds, 4.50 '40', 127 broad, 39.5 vertical

Fant also put up WR number with a 6.81 3-cone, 4.22 20-shuttle, 11.49 60-shuttle.

If, and it's not likely, Fant lasts until 20 I could see them surprising and moving him up. If Gronk comes back for a year they would make quite the duo and he could learn under him. No mistake he'll never be the blocker Gronk is but if he's 80% I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I think his presence alone opens the offense back up.
Agree 100% on Fant, and would do whatever it takes to move up to get him. But I think WR Hakeem Butler would transform the team as well, if they can’t get Fant. Of course my dream would be to land both of them (sue me, I’m greedy).

Agree 100% on Fant, and would do whatever it takes to move up to get him. But I think WR Hakeem Butler would transform the team as well, if they can’t get Fant. Of course my dream would be to land both of them (sue me, I’m greedy).

He's definitely an athletic freak. He would need to refine his route running and I have no idea if he can read a defense and run the correct option routes but hopefully they at least work him out.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back