PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name One Prospect That Would Transform The Team

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
With all the draft capital we have, we are in a position, should we want too, to trade up for that blue chip prospect that would continue to give us the edge over the 31 other teams. Now I’m not recommending this approach as I personally believe we need to build the roster for the next half decade and beyond, but for the sake of this exercise, just ignore that and instead focus on that one prospect that you think would give us the most benefit on top of the roster we already have.

Ignore Bosa, Josh Allen and Quinnen Williams because they’re likely going top 5 but you could have anyone else. Who is that one guy you would go all in for. The ultimate win now prospect.

For me, it would be Noah Fant (obviously helps the offense) or Ed Oliver. I like the idea of having some Donald like quickness on the interior ( I realise he’s not at that level but does have some of Donald’s traits).

I would agree with Fant. The Patriots did use a first and a third for Daniel Graham.

At combine:

Graham: 6'3", 248 pounds, 4.64 '40', 118 broad, 36 vertical
Fant 6'4", 249 pounds, 4.50 '40', 127 broad, 39.5 vertical

Fant also put up WR number with a 6.81 3-cone, 4.22 20-shuttle, 11.49 60-shuttle.

If, and it's not likely, Fant lasts until 20 I could see them surprising and moving him up. If Gronk comes back for a year they would make quite the duo and he could learn under him. No mistake he'll never be the blocker Gronk is but if he's 80% I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I think his presence alone opens the offense back up.

Fant and Gronk would all but guarantee a SB imo. Would be unstoppable.

I would move up 5-10 spots for Tillery and Fant

Been huge fan of Fant for months. He can be Pro Bowl/ All Pro type of TE. Has all the abilities to do it. Is a better blocker than given credit for.

On Defence I'd love to see Oliver, just because i think he will be the closet thing since Donald, but will need a good scheme like Donald has to succeed, or Monteaz Sweat - Has Patriot physcial tools

My top two choices:

Tilllery as a talented force that BB loves in the middle of the field.

Devin Bush would add a very different type of talent to the LB core.

Brian Burns

Tillery or Lawrence. In any other draft they are top 15 talent or higher. Pats always pick 28 to 32 unless Roger has a stick up his ass and we aren’t picking at all. It’s a really good opportunity to land rare interior talent that possibly could equate to top 3 talent if we get lucky and they progress better than the rest.

I’m also ok with Simmons and the wait. Too good of a player to atleast not do your homework onand weigh your risks and rewards. Pats are one of the few teams that could take him on without any backlash.

Fant and Hockenson are excellent and could help the team immensely, immediately, however, there are still some really good TE prospects out there to be had. Great Te’s don’t grow on trees, but game changing interior presense I think is a lot rarer.

My top two choices:

Tilllery as a talented force that BB loves in the middle of the field.

Devin Bush would add a very different type of talent to the LB core.

agreed about Tillery!

Jeffrey Simmons. He might develop into a very good interior pass rusher
and can play the run too. I'm down with Oliver too.

Interior pressure combined with Bennett changes everything. I mean everything, from the play of the other DT’s, De’s and LBers on the field to the secondary. It can’t be overstated enough what they have a chance to do here if they get the right player(s).

Jonas Williams ot- exceptional pass protector and devastating run blocker. Michel could easily have a 1500 yard season running behind an offensive line that included Williams.

Brady would have more time to throw. (If would help if bb got more quality receivers on the roster)

Jonas Williams ot- exceptional pass protector and devastating run blocker. Michel could easily have a 1500 yard season running behind an offensive line that included Williams.

Brady would have more time to throw. (If would help if bb got more quality receivers on the roster)
all what you said defines Wynn as well though. Might push Cannon out

With all the emphasis on DT, TE and WR would it surprise anyone if they did move up to get a tackle like Williams and shift Wynn to the right? I would be surprised but it wouldn’t be the first time. One thing for sure is if something like that did happen, the offensive line would be incredible. It already oretty much was last season, but wow. Michel breaks 100 every game is a good guess and Brady has all the time in the world.

With all the emphasis on DT, TE and WR would it surprise anyone if they did move up to get a tackle like Williams and shift Wynn to the right? I would be surprised but it wouldn’t be the first time. One thing for sure is if something like that did happen, the offensive line would be incredible. It already oretty much was last season, but wow. Michel breaks 100 every game is a good guess and Brady has all the time in the world.

There’s not much that surprises me with the Pats on draft day. I do have a notion that interior OL might be more likely in the first though than OT.

There’s not much that surprises me with the Pats on draft day. I do have a notion that interior OL might be more likely in the first though than OT.

If they go early in the draft for O-line I think they might be going for someone who has experience playing interior line as well as tackle (Dalton Risner?) but if they like a pure tackle prospect, they could wait for the mid to later rounds.

For me it would have to be elite level talent to justify the first. Any thoughts on a prospect that fits that description? I’d pretty much take **** if they overdrafted Lindstrom in the first. But yeah, wouldn’t be surprised. Thought Andrews and Thuney did a fine job last year, just don’t see the need for replacement yet.

Hockenson/Fant - The load they are able to take off Gronkowski would be two fold: It would give the team another pass catching TE threat and have Gronk more likely to be fresh for the playoffs.

AJ Brown - He can step in day 1 IMO as the 1B to Edelman if Gordon is suspended. A great player & a great fit for the offense (A more luxurious Deebo Samuel).

Dexter Lawrence - If he’s truly an elite NT, he would help the D get to more 2nd/3rd & long situations where the pass defense can shine.

Wildcard: Hakeem Butler - His outcomes could range from WR3-4 with as a developmental player to winning OROY. I remain fascinated with Butler as he is one of the most volatile & unique players in the draft.

Last edited:
For me it would have to be elite level talent to justify the first. Any thoughts on a prospect that fits that description? I’d pretty much take **** if they overdrafted Lindstrom in the first. But yeah, wouldn’t be surprised. Thought Andrews and Thuney did a fine job last year, just don’t see the need for replacement yet.

If the rumours are true, they’ve taken a hard look at an interior OL high in the last two drafts (Feeney, Ragnow).

According to ESPN’s Mike Reiss, the Patriots intended to draft Indiana interior lineman Dan Feeney 72nd overall, but came just short. One pick before the Patriots were on the clock, the Chargers grabbed Feeney.

From Reiss:

The Patriots came close to drafting a potential challenger to Andrews’ starting job in the third round, Indiana’s Dan Feeney, but the Los Angeles Chargers nabbed Feeney before the club was on the clock at No. 72. Would the Patriots have extended Andrews if they'd drafted Feeney? It’s an interesting question to ponder.

Report: New England Patriots targeted guard Dan Feeney, missed him by one pick

And...

Both the Cincinnati Bengals, who picked 21st, and the New England Patriots, who picked 23rd, had Ragnow as a top target,” the Detroit Free Press’ David Birkett reported, “and the Patriots tried to move up in front of the Lions to get their man.”

Patriots tried to trade up for center Frank Ragnow, so maybe they’re not happy with their offensive line

Hockenson/Fant - The load they are able to take off Gronkowski would be two fold: It would give the team another pass catching TE threat and have Gronk more likely to be fresh for the playoffs.

AJ Brown - He can step in day 1 IMO as the 1B to Edelman if Gordon is suspended. A great player & a great fit for the offense (A more luxurious Deebo Samuel).

Dexter Lawrence - If he’s truly an elite NT, he would help the D get to more 2nd/3rd & long situations where the pass defense can shine.

Wildcard: Hakeem Butler - His outcomes could range from WR3-4 with as a developmental player to winning OROY. I remain fascinated with Butler as he is one of the most volatile & unique players in the draft.

Lawrence’s pff grade is almost identical to Vita Vea’s.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back