PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My thoughts on the game (trying to start the healing process)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Damn, Super Bowl losses are tough, tough, tough to handle. You'd think winning 5 in recent 17 years would make this easier, (and it probably has) but it still really sucks RIGHT NOW.

A few thoughts........

Early kicking errors did NOT cost us the game. It's easy to say the Pats lost 4 points in the kicking game, BUT it's really less. After all, the Eagles' kicker missed an XP, then they missed a 2 PT conversion trying to get that back. Then the Eagles missed a 2 PT conversion near the end of the game due to game situation. So all in all I see Philly having a net +1 pt advantage resuling from the kicking blunders. When you lose by 8, tough to point to that 1 point.

Malcolm Butler not only isn't starting, but isn't getting defensive snaps at all. We all saw it, the Eagles were marching up and down the field. We gave up big plays, we gave up little plays. We had no answers. If you were like me you were begging BB to put Butler in the game. This decision had to some bad mojo (similar to making Troy Brown inactive in SB 42).

Brady was fricking unbelievable. It's a SHAME he has to put an L next to this performance. Losing sucks, but I'm glad we lost in a shootout than to lose a defensive battle with the offense look out of sorts (like SB 42). I'll be able to at least be able to see some good offensive highlights when I look back in this game. Brady gave us a shot, it's still unfortunate that we essentially lost on a strip sack.

The refs..........I'm disappointed in the two controversial touchdown calls, but I can't cry too loudly about it. On the Ertz game winner trust me I jumped out of my seat yelling 'incomplete' when I saw it live, but upon replay I think it was more wishful thinking. I agree that he felt more 'like a runner' at that point. Of course I wanted the refs to see it differently, but I can't blame them.

As much as I hate to say it, Philly really took it to us with their aggressive play calling and deserves a lot of credit for it. They went for it a few times in unconventional situations and it paid off. Those will be remembered as some of the gutsiest calls in Super Bowl history. If only we stopped that 4th and 1 on their game winning drive. Philly played well. When the Pats took the lead you thought the Eagles might finally start to fold, but instead they continued to roll (as they had all night).

This stinks but I'll keep trying to tell myself that you can't cry over not winning two Super Bowls in a row. Of course with a playoff "gauntlet" of Mariotta/Bortles/Foles, you can't help but think how did we not get it done with league MVP Tom Brady?

Pats lost because they couldn't stop the eagles from scoring.

It' pathetic because as historically bad as the defense showed tonight Brady was equally as historic.

I mean he had over 500 yards and was one missed white pass to the flat away from 4 straight second half touchdowns.

This doesn't hurt me at all minus the immediate aftermath due to already having the records that matter.

Still. Bill really did the defense dirty tonight and needs to explain him self

Or what ? You stop watching ?

Or he loses the team.

Or did that happen last night?

Just accept that he ****ed up. It's ok. Even the best have bad days.

I’m alright with complaining about Belichick a bit and admitting that the defense looked unprepared. I think those are fair criticisms. Whatever he does to coach SBs seems to be some kind of change in leaning more on the conservative side, because I don’t see the genius there that I do versus tough teams in lesser settings (plenty of huge regular season wins against excellent teams), and no—it’s not always because the competition is better in all 8 games. There’s an obvious change in how he handles these games.

However, I’m not alright with driving the point home 100x in every thread because if I were to wake up tomorrow and find out that he’s decided not to return or something, I’d be completely devastated. He’s obviously the goat in terms of coaching and he’ll always give us the best chance to go to the SB.

Or he loses the team.

Or did that happen last night?

Just accept that he ****ed up. It's ok. Even the best have bad days.

rofl.. here we go again.. THE PLAYERS HATE HIM.. unless you actually talk to any of them.

rofl.. here we go again.. THE PLAYERS HATE HIM.. unless you actually talk to any of them.

Stop trolling.

We know he's lost a handful of players and the rumor for weeks now he's lost Brady.

He clearly lost butler and the Superbowl in one night. Dude is batting 1000 right now. I applaud him!

Stop trolling.

We know he's lost a handful of players and the rumor for weeks now he's lost Brady.

He clearly lost butler and the Superbowl in one night. Dude is batting 1000 right now. I applaud him!
I know emotions are running high, but I think your comments are a lot closer to trolling than luuked’s are, and I don’t mean that to sound disrespectful.

There’s absolutely no basis for these comments about “losing the team,” certain players, Tom freaking Brady, etc.

As far as Butler goes, he has not only had issues in the past but he’s also played poorly at times this season. Belichick may have made a bad decision in deciding not to play him (or maybe it was justified), but you’re going overboard with the idea that multiple players are tuning him out and that he’s “lost” anyone.

After all that happened all game and all the horrendous play and coaching decisions, we had the ball with 2 minutes to go and a TD to win. I had no doubt in my mind Brady was going to lead us down to win the game. I couldn't believe it when he got stripped.

After all that happened all game and all the horrendous play and coaching decisions, we had the ball with 2 minutes to go and a TD to win. I had no doubt in my mind Brady was going to lead us down to win the game. I couldn't believe it when he got stripped.
Yeah, much like the KC game, even when the defense totally craps the bad and the coaching is questionable, the offense still had a chance in the end (or damn close to it in week one) and put good points on the board.

If it wasnt stripped, we win the game. Zero doubt.

I know emotions are running high, but I think your comments are a lot closer to trolling than luuked’s are, and I don’t mean that to sound disrespectful.

There’s absolutely no basis for these comments about “losing the team,” certain players, Tom freaking Brady, etc.

As far as Butler goes, he has not only had issues in the past but he’s also played poorly at times this season. Belichick may have made a bad decision in deciding not to play him, but you’re going overboard with the idea that multiple players are tuning him out and that he’s “lost” anyone.

Look.

You bench your starting corner and at this moment it appears to be something other than health.

You aren't putting your best team forward at that point and giving up 41 points doesn't help your cause.

Bill messed up here.

As for McCourty. He slipped. That's fact. Wether he would of stopped the touchdown still or not is opinion.

I don' know the answer and it isn' the only reason we lost. It's just one of many.

Look.

You bench your starting corner and at this moment it appears to be something other than health.

You aren't putting your best team forward at that point and giving up 41 points doesn't help your cause.

Bill messed up here.

As for McCourty. He slipped. That's fact. Wether he would of stopped the touchdown still or not is opinion.

I don' know the answer and it isn' the only reason we lost. It's just one of many.
You’re debating with the wrong person about McCourty. I’m not even following that debate that the two of you are having, so thats irrelevant to our conversation. I don’t even know what play you guys are talking about. I’d have to rewatch it, first.

All I’m saying is that your suggestion that Belichick has “lost” Tom Brady or any players in the locker room is nothing more than baseless speculation, and that’s coming from a guy who probably agrees with you that Butler should’ve played. There’s a big difference between making a bad decision by benching a player and your suggestion that he’s lost our team leader in Tom Brady, that’s all.

You’re debating with the wrong person about McCourty. I’m not even following that debate that the two of you are having, so thats irrelevant to our conversation. I don’t even know what play you guys are talking about. I’d have to rewatch it, first.

All I’m saying is that your suggestion that Belichick has “lost” Tom Brady or any players in the locker room is nothing more than baseless speculation, and that’s coming from a guy who probably agrees with you that Butler should’ve played. There’s a big difference between making a bad decision by benching a player and your suggestion that he’s lost our team leader in Tom Brady, that’s all.

The only thing were doing here in speculating.

We still don' know why butler was benched but there's no doubt it wasn' over health.

Stop trolling.

Go listen to Felger because that is where you belong..

A very disappointing game. I really thought TB would pull it out in the last 2 minutes. The game made me think of the Rams game when the Pats' dynasty under BB and TB began. The Eagles took on the Pats' role as serious underdogs and they rode the "dog" theme all through the playoffs. We could be seeing the beginning of one dynasty and the ending of another, but that thought is still very premature. The Eagles just seemed to want this game more than the Pats did, also very similar to that previous Super Bowl. Congratulations to the Eagles and the city of Philadelphia. As for the Patriots, many changes are in store for next year. New OC and DC, maybe new position coaches as McDaniels and Patricia pick their staffs, possible player retirements, and the list goes on. Actually, with all the injuries and the patchwork roster BB put together during the season, I was pleasantly surprised that we made it all the way to the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back