PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My 2024 draft

What does everyone THINK NEP will do? Not what they SHOULD do.

Personally, I think they take Daniels at 3 or try and trade up for Caleb. But Washington has way more to offer. Caleb could be the next Brady in NE. But ask is too much.

Long-story short, I believe they come away with Daniels.

I wouldn't be mad at MHJ with #3 and a trade back up for Bo Nix scenario. They have to keep trying at QB or they'll never hit on one.
I'd take Daniels over Nix. Every single time.

We aren't competing for a title next year. People really need to get into the mindset that we are in a rebuild. If you have the QB, get him. But you don't want to draft someone just to draft him and then put him on this offense to fail again.

I don’t expect to compete for a title, but they should still be looking to be a serious contender in two years. If they don’t fix QB this season then serious contention isn’t in the works until 26’, which is what I said. There are 3 high quality QB prospects in this draft, they should take one of them.

Usually that’s the case, sure, but not always. We just saw C.J. Stroud turn around a franchise on its 4th head coach in 4 years, coming off 3 consecutive losing seasons, and won the division and its first playoff game this year, all in his rookie season. He beat a quarterback in Joe Flacco, who once took his team to the AFC championship game in his rookie season. That year, Flacco’s Ravens lost to Ben Roethlisberger’s Steelers, the same Ben who himself brought a team to the AFC championship game in his rookie season.

You’ll also notice that all three examples I mentioned, those teams were all in different stages of their development. The Texans had three straight losing seasons prior to Stroud. The Ravens had one losing season prior and were two seasons removed from a 13-3 campaign. The Steelers were a perennial playoff contender coming off a losing season and three years removed from their last AFC championship game appearance.

The right quarterback makes all the difference in the world. But also so does the right coaching staff and front office. So there’s more to it of course. But remember that any rookie QB taken early is a multiple year committment. It means if someone emerges in the 2025 or 2026 class then too bad, you already picked your guy in 2024. It’s not about not wanting to compete soon, it’s about looking at the big picture. You can still compete sooner if you nail your picks and trades and free agent signings just right. The Texans drafted Stroud and Tank Dell, and signed Dalton Schultz and Devin Singletary as free agents, and that offense transformed right away despite having very real questions about their offensive line heading into the year.

But Stroud was already consensus top 2 along with Bryce Young. Anthony Richardson and Will Levis were considered in the next tier, and a lot of people were shocked at how early (4th overall) and how late (33rd overall) those two respectively got taken. I believe with this year’s class, Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are in their own tier, and I would love to have either one. I would not reach on a 3rd QB option at 3rd overall though. Either take Harrison Jr. or trade down for more assets. The important thing is to take the best player available, QB or not, and build a foundation to contend for years to come. Whether we have Drake Maye throwing to Tee Higgins or Russell Wilson throwing to Marvin Harrison Jr., I’m fine with either outcome.

I disagree with the notion that because you drafted a QB high you can’t go back and do it again, and every top 15 pick in the draft is the same 4-5 year deal. IMO you can draft a first round QB, have them come in and look good, but if you see one available you think will be better then take them and let them compete. The worst thing that can happen is that you have a really strong QB room, and you can trade one if the right deal is there.

I’m fine with them bringing in Tannehill or Garrapolo on a decent deal, but I have zero interest in Russell Wilson.

For those of you wanting to wait to take a QB in the 2025 draft:

1) Who’s worthy of drafting in 2025? Shedeur Sanders?? It’s a bad year for QBs.
2) Who says we’ll have the opportunity to draft an “upper echelon” qb in the first/second round?

This qb class is by FAR more talented/dynamic and we have a top 3 pick. It’s literally being handed to us on a silver platter. Why wait?
I agree with your general premise. It's also another reason why winning that meaningless game in Denver by a Field Goal wasn't worth picking even one pick higher. I know that statement may draw rebuke, but agree or disagree, it's just my personal opinion.

I don’t expect to compete for a title, but they should still be looking to be a serious contender in two years. If they don’t fix QB this season then serious contention isn’t in the works until 26’, which is what I said. There are 3 high quality QB prospects in this draft, they should take one of them.
Rebuild isn't a bad word. It's inevitable, and every franchise will eventually go through it and multiple times at that).

It depends how strongly they feel on daniels, if you don’t feel that great about him you don’t just draft a qb at 3 to take a qb. Mhj is another generational type prospect supposedly and wr1 is almost as difficult to fill as qb, and in the last 5 years or so wr1 has become almost as important. I wouldn’t be mad at all with mhj since we need both. Or you could take daniels and go for a 2nd tier tier wr with the next pick if they are that high on daniels. Either approach is taking a swing on a high importance need so id be fine either way
Watching Love play well for GB has me thinking about Daniels…very similar bodies and tools. BUT…Love go to sit multiple seasons to learn

Rebuild isn't a bad word. It's inevitable, and every franchise will eventually go through it and multiple times at that).

Except that the defense demonstrated that they aren’t in need of rebuilding, but QB, OT, and WR are.and that can be accomplished in 2 seasons.

If there was just 1 high quality QB prospect in this draft, and they couldn’t get them then I would be fine with Harrison or. Tackle, but there are 3 of them, and 2 may be available. So take the QB, and then the tackle.

I'd like to know what changes to the offensive philosophy will be made. Or if there will be any changes. Williams doesn't fit recent play. Maye or Daniels would be closer to the norm. Harrison is plug and play. Maybe except dink and dunk from what I read he needs work facing the QB, but that's nothing really. Alt is plug and play. So, anyone but Williams now. If the entire offense gets revamped to his style, no one else compares to him.

Too
Washington fans would do this trade.

Probably means...NEP should not lol.

View attachment 55906
Pats have too many holes on offense to give up multiple picks to this year and next to move up.

I'd rather just pick Marvin Harrison Jr. and then try to grab another QB in the second. I know the Pats need a QB, but Harrison Jr. probably would be the best receiver to suit up for the Pats since I've been alive.

Daniels' highlights are a lot of fun. I do worry that the Pats seem content to have BoB or McDaniels as their OC. The scheme that those guys runs is built around middle of the field passing, Daniels prefers to work outside the numbers with his arm, but take off with his legs in the middle of the field. In other words I'm not sure he's a scheme fit. I wouldn't mind changing the scheme for him though, but based on Mayo being named the coach I think they will play the same scheme.

I'm pretty sure he will weigh at least 210 pounds when weighed. His coach made an offhand comment in the off-season how he got over 210. But yeah, want to see his weight, see what he runs, see his strength #'s etc.
I think when all said and done, he'll be worth taking at 3. I don't need to see any of that for Williams or Maye, unless Williams measures under 6 feet.

As a prospect he's rated about #8 overall (Kiper had him #4, Draft Buzz #8, etc.) in the draft and a notch below Maye who is a notch below Williams. His path to being a top pick is the exact same path Burrow took. I was very skeptical of Daniels but the more you watch him the better you feel about him.

Some mock drafts are putting Daniels #2 ahead of Maye now and if Lamar wins the Super Bowl you may see Daniels jump Maye due to his style of play.

I would take Maye (I love Maye as a prospect more than most I think, I believe he is a STUD) over Daniels as a prospect for sure, but all 3 QB's have POTENTIAL to be top 10 QB's.
I've watched, I think, like 50 hours of QB prospect play LOL, I'm obsessed.
Nobody else in the draft outside the top 3, IMO, is a prospect worth drafting in Round 1 or 2.
If you don't take one of the 3 you have a 1% chance of getting a good QB, and without a good QB you are not going to win. I just don't see an alternative to taking a QB at 3.

Interesting post.

Too

Pats have too many holes on offense to give up multiple picks to this year and next to move up.

I'd rather just pick Marvin Harrison Jr. and then try to grab another QB in the second. I know the Pats need a QB, but Harrison Jr. probably would be the best receiver to suit up for the Pats since I've been alive.

Daniels' highlights are a lot of fun. I do worry that the Pats seem content to have BoB or McDaniels as their OC. The scheme that those guys runs is built around middle of the field passing, Daniels prefers to work outside the numbers with his arm, but take off with his legs in the middle of the field. In other words I'm not sure he's a scheme fit. I wouldn't mind changing the scheme for him though, but based on Mayo being named the coach I think they will play the same scheme.
Billy O had Watson playing the best ball of his career. Despite all the time Watson spent being a perv.

Too

So you weren’t alive when Randy Moss was playing for them?

Billy O had Watson playing the best ball of his career. Despite all the time Watson spent being a perv.
O’Brien did as bad a job or worse than Patricia.

So you weren’t alive when Randy Moss was playing for them?
Brain fart on my part. Although I think Marvin would give the Pats a lot more than 3 years of production like Moss did.

Honestly, I'll be fine with any of Williams, Maye, MHJr and Jaden. If the Pats are picking a tackle I hope they trade back and get more assets.

O’Brien did as bad a job or worse than Patricia.
This year yes…but can we expect a good meal with trash ingredients?

I’m fine with them bringing someone else in, but also believe Billy O got jobbed by BB the GM.

This years draft is the best. You can get your starting QB in late 1st and even 2nd round. Next years QB draft is not good at all.

This years draft is the best. You can get your starting QB in late 1st and even 2nd round. Next years QB draft is not good at all.
If true (and I suspect that it is), then we NEED to nail the QB position, wherever in the draft that we pick one.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back