PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My 2024 draft

thecore762

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Pats take MHJr.
Pats sign Justin Fields.

I’d say MHJr is a more important pick than Jayden Daniels if we can land Fields.

Then in the offseason you go after Tee Higgins or Calvin Ridley.
Now you have your QB and at least two solid Wars for your young QB.

Mayo needs to overhaul the whole coaching staff and bring a solid O-line coach and maybe bring back McDaniels.

How do they sign Fields ? He’s not a FA.

Do you mean trade the 2nd rounder for Fields? That’s probably what the cost for trading would be.

I don’t think it would cost a 2nd for Fields, they’d be lucky to get a 3rd, especially if they are drafting Caleb Williams.

I don’t think it would cost a 2nd for Fields, they’d be lucky to get a 3rd, especially if they are drafting Caleb Williams.
This was my thought. No way anyone would give up a first for Fields. Plenty of QBs in this draft that most teams will have a shot to get with their first round picks.
I’d say a 2nd would be extremely good for Fields.

Absolutely no to Justin Fields. He has one year remaining on his rookie deal plus a fifth-year option that would be estimated at $25 million guaranteed. That is fine if you have a franchise quarterback on your hands, but if the Bears move on from him after seeing him up close for three years, that tells you all you need to know. There are too many unknowns right now, as far as what the roster will look like and who is going to coach up Fields to be a more complete passer. And the Pats would likely have to pay Day 1 or Day 2 draft capital for the privilege of finding out.

If they’re going to invest in a work-in-progress quarterback, I’d rather it be someone out of this year’s draft class who will have more room for growth, will come cheaper, and have more years of cost control. I agree on drafting Marvin Harrison Jr. if he’s there at 3rd overall. Best player in the draft, a potential cornerstone player for the offense who should in theory make any quarterback better. The type of playmaking stud receiver you need especially if trying to rally from behind late in a game. Sign Russell Wilson if he’s affordable enough on a short term deal. If Harrison is off the table at 3 then take the best of who’s left between Caleb Williams and Drake Maye, then think about bringing in a bridge quarterback on the cheap like Jimmy Garoppolo or Jacoby Brissett, someone to keep the seat warm until Williams/Maye is deemed ready by the coaching staff.

Absolutely no to Justin Fields. He has one year remaining on his rookie deal plus a fifth-year option that would be estimated at $25 million guaranteed. That is fine if you have a franchise quarterback on your hands, but if the Bears move on from him after seeing him up close for three years, that tells you all you need to know. There are too many unknowns right now, as far as what the roster will look like and who is going to coach up Fields to be a more complete passer. And the Pats would likely have to pay Day 1 or Day 2 draft capital for the privilege of finding out.

If they’re going to invest in a work-in-progress quarterback, I’d rather it be someone out of this year’s draft class who will have more room for growth, will come cheaper, and have more years of cost control. I agree on drafting Marvin Harrison Jr. if he’s there at 3rd overall. Best player in the draft, a potential cornerstone player for the offense who should in theory make any quarterback better. The type of playmaking stud receiver you need especially if trying to rally from behind late in a game. Sign Russell Wilson if he’s affordable enough on a short term deal. If Harrison is off the table at 3 then take the best of who’s left between Caleb Williams and Drake Maye, then think about bringing in a bridge quarterback on the cheap like Jimmy Garoppolo or Jacoby Brissett, someone to keep the seat warm until Williams/Maye is deemed ready by the coaching staff.
Which has to be decided on this off-season and is fully guaranteed once picked up.

Pats take MHJr.
Pats sign Justin Fields.

I’d say MHJr is a more important pick than Jayden Daniels if we can land Fields.

Mayo needs to overhaul the whole coaching staff and bring a solid O-line coach and maybe bring back McDaniels.
If you are going to give up assets for Fields, you might as well keep Mac. Both are sub-par quarterbacks.

Though, I don't disagree with taking MHjr if the QB identified by this team as "the guy" has been taken in the 1/2 spot of the draft.

In the offseason pursuit of WR's in free agency I would add Michael Pittman to that group... Another guy we might take a look at is Bears EFRA Darnell Mooney... He showed some promise a few years ago with over 1000 yards in receiving yards, but was derailed a bit by injuries in 2022 and the Bears acquiring DJ Moore in 2023 in the draft trade with Carolina...

As for the offense, yes, a complete overhaul is needed...

I would be on board with mhj at #3. But your plan needs to include a tackle (2 if onwenu isn’t resigned). Thats right up there with qb and wr. Ideally we resign onwenu or tag him at worst and sign Jonah Williams or one of the decent tackles available, or take one the 2nd pick/ trade back into round 1.

That leaves you with a few qb trade options. Field’s probably wouldn’t be my preference though. Its not a popular take but id entertain the Russell wilson idea. He probably wont cost anything but a low rd swap and I believe wed be paying something like 26m per for 2 seasons. Thats really not bad for a qb with a 98 qbr. Then next year you can start looking for your qb of the future.

For those of you wanting to wait to take a QB in the 2025 draft:

1) Who’s worthy of drafting in 2025? Shedeur Sanders?? It’s a bad year for QBs.
2) Who says we’ll have the opportunity to draft an “upper echelon” qb in the first/second round?

This qb class is by FAR more talented/dynamic and we have a top 3 pick. It’s literally being handed to us on a silver platter. Why wait?

Pats take MHJr.
Pats sign Justin Fields.

How are you doing that when the Bears said they're keeping him and still might draft a QB.

I would be on board with mhj at #3. But your plan needs to include a tackle (2 if onwenu isn’t resigned). Thats right up there with qb and wr. Ideally we resign onwenu or tag him at worst and sign Jonah Williams or one of the decent tackles available, or take one the 2nd pick/ trade back into round 1.

That leaves you with a few qb trade options. Field’s probably wouldn’t be my preference though. Its not a popular take but id entertain the Russell wilson idea. He probably wont cost anything but a low rd swap and I believe wed be paying something like 26m per for 2 seasons. Thats really not bad for a qb with a 98 qbr. Then next year you can start looking for your qb of the future.
You guys are talking like it's easy to land a QB to just toss in there. Don't you understand when you have a shot to get a young promising one you gotta take it. Nothing worse for a team than to be stuck in QB purgatory. Also on the business end the team needs a face of the franchise which is usually the QB. Your not selling a retread to New England fans especially after having a top 3 pick and dealing with Cam, Mac Jones and Zappe in the past few seasons...NO WAY.

Last edited:
I do not want Fields. People see him make one or two amazing plays and think he’s good.

Bad QB who is capable of a magnificent play, but who is much more likely to make a mistake.

I hope he stays in Chicago to stink up someone else’s franchise.

You guys are talking like it's easy to land a QB to just toss in there. Don't you understand when you have a shot to get a young promising one you gotta take it. Nothing worse for a team than to be stuck in QB purgatory. Also on the business end the team needs a face of the franchise which is usually the QB.

It depends how strongly they feel on daniels, if you don’t feel that great about him you don’t just draft a qb at 3 to take a qb. Mhj is another generational type prospect supposedly and wr1 is almost as difficult to fill as qb, and in the last 5 years or so wr1 has become almost as important. I wouldn’t be mad at all with mhj since we need both. Or you could take daniels and go for a 2nd tier tier wr with the next pick if they are that high on daniels. Either approach is taking a swing on a high importance need so id be fine either way

For those of you wanting to wait to take a QB in the 2025 draft:

1) Who’s worthy of drafting in 2025? Shedeur Sanders?? It’s a bad year for QBs.
2) Who says we’ll have the opportunity to draft an “upper echelon” qb in the first/second round?

This qb class is by FAR more talented/dynamic and we have a top 3 pick. It’s literally being handed to us on a silver platter. Why wait?
Winner

You pass up a QB and are stuck with thrash for 2024. The team won't be 4-13 bad again. Guaranteed. Now, you are not in a spot to get a QB in 2025.

You give up massive draft capital for Williams. Or, you take Daniels. I see no scenario where Washington trades down.

I do have a concern with Daniels. His scouting report indicates that "he can be successful in the right system." So, does that mean he is limited in what offense he can play in? Because that's not a franchise QB. A franchise guy should be able to adapt to any system.

The way it's shaping up Pats might have a shot at Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels. Do the damn homework and take one.

- Signed, probably 80% of Pats fans.

It depends how strongly they feel on daniels, if you don’t feel that great about him you don’t just draft a qb at 3 to take a qb. Mhj is another generational type prospect supposedly and wr1 is almost as difficult to fill as qb, and in the last 5 years or so wr1 has become almost as important. I wouldn’t be mad at all with mhj since we need both. Or you could take daniels and go for a 2nd tier tier wr with the next pick. Im fine with either
What has Hill & Waddle done for Tua? Sure, they helped him pad stats against the dregs of the league. But the guy can't beat good teams. And things need to be near perfect around him to succeed.

Zero playoff wins as well. They weren't even close last night.

The way it's shaping up Pats might have a shot at Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels. Do the damn homework and take one.

- Signed, probably 80% of Pats fans.
No way they get Maye imo.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3