PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mt RushLESS - Pats Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the need to always post threads that attempt to take away from this incredibly great run???

Guys like Maroney, Katzemoyer, Glenn and Meriweather were decent but for one reason for another they did not last here..

Paxton Lynch (Denver's #1 '16) anyone??

Agree. Patriots fans ***** and whine about a handful of late 1st-rounders and 2nd-rounders - and even late-3rd rounders - who didn't meet fan expectations, regardless whether or not they made useful contributions.

And then, for perspective, there's the Lions:

2002 - Joey Harrington, #3 overall
2003 - Charles Rogers WR, #2 overall (Bethel Johnson, drafted the same year, was more productive)
2004 - Roy William WR, #7
2005 - Mike Williams WR, #10
2006 - Ernie Sims LB, #9

Sure, they got started on a hot streak with 1st-rounders in 2007 when the took Megatron at #2 overall, and then Stafford at #1 two years later. But their 2nd-rounders have continued to be equivalent disasters.

What is the need to always post threads that attempt to take away from this incredibly great run? QUOTE]

I posted this thread as a fun take on the Rushmore thread. An attempt to take away from this dynastic run? Cmon, realky?

Laughing at Hart Lee Dykes, Eugene Chung, and Chris Canty, if anything, is a tribute to the dynasty. Every team can laugh at its clunkers, even our mighty Patriots.

Of course, we can always go to the other 20 threads on the front page to read the b1tching about Jordan Richards.;)

Agree. Patriots fans ***** and whine about a handful of late 1st-rounders and 2nd-rounders - and even late-3rd rounders - who didn't meet fan expectations, regardless whether or not they made useful contributions.

And then, for perspective, there's the Lions:

2003 - Charles Rogers WR, #2 overall (Bethel Johnson, drafted the same year, was more productive)
2006 - Ernie Sims LB, #9

Sure, they got started on a hot streak with 1st-rounders in 2007 when the took Megatron at #2 overall, and then Stafford at #1 two years later. But their 2nd-rounders have continued to be equivalent disasters.

The Pats, Lions are not alone.. there are as many hits as misses with the NFL draft for most teams..

The Pats, Lions are not alone.. there are as many hits as misses with the NFL draft for most teams..

In the past 19 drafts, the Lions have spent ...
Top-5 picks = 6

Top-10 picks = 10
Picks in 11-20 range = 8
Picks in the 21-32 range = 3

That's 18 1st-rounders in the 1-20 range.

Meanwhile, the Pats have spent ...

Top-5 picks = 0

Top-10 picks = 2
Picks 11-20 = 2
Picks 21-32 = 14

That's 18 1st-round picks, total (in spite of being docked three 1st-rounders by the league).

Ras-I Dowling is carved onto my RushLess.

1st - he was the 33 overall pick, so we got to enjoy being on the clock overnight hoping BB would turn that pick into something awesome.

2nd - he seemed a different kind of CB than had been previously drafted by the Patriots. He was 6'1". Possibly a shift away from the < 5'10" types that seemed to be BB's favored model for CB.

Ras -IR- 33rd pick, was hurt all through college, everyone knew he was made of glass.

Jermaine Cunningham, not only was he a complete reach and bust, add to that the fact that the Pats could have drafted his teammate Carlos Dunlap (who was drafted with the very next pick by the Bengals, and is still a productive player form them today) really chaps my ass.

Easley- another Florida product, coming off ACL tears in each knee, yet still drafted by BB in the first round. Always hurt, and then gets half eaten by his own pit bulls.

Eugene Chung - a 1st round mega bust. I remember my brother telling me the Patriots drafted a stud OL. He was a good brother. ****ty scout.

I heard Chung was so honored to be shown on Mt. Hernandez that he's busy modeling for the carving...

...modeling his middle finger featuring his Super Bowl 52 ring.

Yes, Eugene Chung is a Super Bowl champion. At the Pats' expense.

Regards,
Chris

There was some bad misses way back in the day. I'm gonna go with Hart Lee Dykes, Christian Peter, Chris Canty and Kenneth Sims. Honorable mention To Eugene Chung and Adrian Klemm.

If Mass native and Boston draft pick Buoniconti toasted in 2008, he makes my Mt RushLess.
For that matter, throw Francis, Hayes and Plunkett in there too!

I can still be petty at my age. I'll toss Boggs and Clemens in there too:mad:

Katzenmoyer is tough he jacked his neck up. But man I was stoked when we got him.

IIRC, he was also the first rookie to start at MLB for the Pats since Steve Nelson.

Patrick Pass.

Can there be a Mount Rushmore/must have pictures of BB having sex with a goat?

Charlie Weis had some choice words for him.

Besides having the best football name for this team, the Pats' Pat Pass also has three SB rings with the team. Apparently BB thought enough of him to keep him around.

Chad Jackson worth a mention? He was basically a first round pick. Was pretty solid his rookie year and went downhill from there.
BB doesn’t take enough heat for mismanaging him. He was dealing with hamstring injuries that year but BB thought it was wise to put him on the kick off team in the AFCG where he tore his ACL. It was still during a time where it was too difficult to overcome those injuries.

Ummm ... Didn't Katzenmoyer have a decent rookie season, then his career was cut short due to a serious neck injury? Can't knock a guy for that.
he did. It’s a myth he wasn’t good. He was a spitting image of Brian Urlacher.

Conments:

- No Terry Glenn, no '96 Superbowl run.

- Maroney was solid for us for a few seasons. Especially finishing off the Chargers in the '07 season AFC title game.

- Merriweather was decent for one season and even made the Pro Bowl.

Don't think these guys belong on RushLESS....

Ok..ok...I never claimed personal bias didn't come into play into my choices, plus I tried to limit it to 1st round picks. And as you make it fairly clear we have been spoiled for quite a while now when it comes to 1st round picks. But I hated the Maroney pick the moment it happened. Hence my bias.

2006 - Ernie Sims LB, #9
nkKcOaI.jpg

The irony is that Millen didn't even want to take the job, telling WCF, Sr. that he wasn't qualified. Ford talked him into taking the job anyway. Ford himself essentially made most, if not all, of the 1st-round picks for the team.

Millen's firing in 2008 also coincided with WCF, Jr. beginning to take the reins from Daddy (who had turned 80 that year, IIRC). So far, Junior has seemed much more comfortable with hiring people who know their sh it and allowing them to do their jobs.

The irony is that Millen didn't even want to take the job, telling WCF, Sr. that he wasn't qualified. Ford talked him into taking the job anyway. Ford himself essentially made most, if not all, of the 1st-round picks for the team.

Millen's firing in 2008 also coincided with WCF, Jr. beginning to take the reins from Daddy (who had turned 80 that year, IIRC). So far, Junior has seemed much more comfortable with hiring people who know their sh it and allowing them to do their jobs.

Never was a fan of Millen, but apparently he has some very significant heart issues..

Peter King's MMQB: Matt Millen fights for his life

Never was a fan of Millen, but apparently he has some very significant heart issues..

Peter King's MMQB: Matt Millen fights for his life

I really feel bad for Millen and how his stint with the Lions ruined his reputation. Millen was never the real problem with the Lions, he just became the face of it.

I lived in and around Detroit from 1957-2000. The team became dysfunctional almost from the moment that WCF, Sr. bought it in 1963. Ford constantly meddled in every aspect of football operations, even calling in plays from his box. It was like he thought he could be another Al Davis, even though he didn't know squat about football.

Woody Johnson, Jerrah Jones. There have been, and there continues to be, a lot of owners like that.

I really feel bad for Millen and how his stint with the Lions ruined his reputation. Millen was never the real problem with the Lions, he just became the face of it.

I lived in and around Detroit from 1957-2000. The team became dysfunctional almost from the moment that WCF, Sr. bought it in 1963. Ford constantly meddled in every aspect of football operations, even calling in plays from his box. It was like he thought he could be another Al Davis, even though he didn't know squat about football.

Woody Johnson, Jerrah Jones. There have been, and there continues to be, a lot of owners like that.

Interesting. Millen was a total punchline for how bad those teams ended up. Do you know of any tell-all type books out there from this time?

Interesting. Millen was a total punchline for how bad those teams ended up. Do you know of any tell-all type books out there from this time?

Exactly.

Millen was the punchline, but the Lions' history of mediocrity from 1963 onward was the joke.

Don't know of any "tell-alls". I met a few of the players at various points, and a few of their FO guys. Not enough to make even a short article out of, but it clearly wasn't any prettier behind the scenes than on the field.

Exactly.

Millen was the punchline, but the Lions' history of mediocrity from 1963 onward was the joke.

Don't know of any "tell-alls". I met a few of the players at various points, and a few of their FO guys. Not enough to make even a short article out of, but it clearly wasn't any prettier behind the scenes than on the field.

The Lions and Cleveland both went to the NFL School of Mismanagement.. it has been an eventful road for both teams for quite a while now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft