PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mt RushLESS - Pats Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lions and Cleveland both went to the NFL School of Mismanagement.. it has been an eventful road for both teams for quite a while now..

Well, that's where they've hired their FO and coaching "talent" from. But it really goes back to all such teams being owned by wealthy, egotistical, frat-boy ***holes - the kind of guys who are convinced that, because they're wealthy, they're geniuses at everything.

That may have changed a bit with the Lions, though. WCF, Jr. at least appears to be trying to hire good people who are mostly outside the "good old boys" network and then stay out of their way. He's made some mistakes, but seems to be attempting to improve.

Well, that's where they've hired their FO and coaching "talent" from. But it really goes back to all such teams being owned by wealthy, egotistical, frat-boy ***holes - the kind of guys who are convinced that, because they're wealthy, they're geniuses at everything.

GASP!?! Trashing the New Jersey Generals owner like that!:rolleyes:

How about guys like Michael Bishop and Taylor Price? All the hype and they did nothing.

That may have changed a bit with the Lions, though. WCF, Jr. at least appears to be trying to hire good people who are mostly outside the "good old boys" network and then stay out of their way. He's made some mistakes, but seems to be attempting to improve.

Once you get in the NFL pipeline the revenue stream keeps on coming, not matter what your record.. no need to endear yourself to fans with competently run teams, just put any product on the field.. any product will do.

Once you get in the NFL pipeline the revenue stream keeps on coming, not matter what your record.. no need to endear yourself to fans with competently run teams, just put any product on the field.. any product will do.

Most owners are quite comfortable with getting wealthier by continuously providing their team's fans with a diet of false hope.

Chad Jackson worth a mention? He was basically a first round pick. Was pretty solid his rookie year and went downhill from there.
I'm just relieved nobody has me on their list

...yet?

The Lions remind me of the Democratic Party

There's going to be a ton of recency bias here, and I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that the disappointments of even a decade ago don't really get to me anymore. They're all guys who would have been gone by now anyway, so the worst thing you can say about them is that maybe we'd have 6-7 rings instead of 5 if they'd worked.

1. Aaron Hernandez. Pretty self-explanatory I think, even if you ignore why his career ended.
2. Dominique Easley. Coming into the league, the general perception of him was that he was on par with Aaron Donald as a talent, if he could just get and stay healthy and keep improving. Thank god we've had pretty good return on mid-round picks over the last few years, because we've got very little out of rounds 1 and 2.
3. Ras-I Dowling. He perfectly fit the mold of the ideal corner of the early 2010s - 6'1, long arms, great backpedal, moved well in space. He could have been a nightmare for bigger receivers to match up against, filling the role that we ended up trading for Talib for. Injuries just wrecked his career though, could never stay healthy.
4. Malcolm Mitchell. This one's a little different, because I'm just really bummed for him more than anything. Great kid, performed when on the field, checked all of the boxes you want a productive Patriots receiver to check, but I guess his knee just couldn't stay healthy. Sucks all around, we could really use him right now and he deserves better.

I guess the Browns are the Green Party

I'd say more like the Libertarian Party. They get some significant talent from time to time, and then can't figure out WTF to do with it. The Greens are more like Montreal in the CFL.

3. Ras-I Dowling. He perfectly fit the mold of the ideal corner of the early 2010s - 6'1, long arms, great backpedal, moved well in space. He could have been a nightmare for bigger receivers to match up against, filling the role that we ended up trading for Talib for. Injuries just wrecked his career though, could never stay healthy.

The thing about Dowling is that he was exceptional at RCB. IIRC, he was pretty close to lights-out/shutdown at RCB during his rookie Camp and there was little question by the 3rd pre-season game that he'd be the week-1 starter.

Damn.

Torry Holt
Reggie Wayne
Chad Ochocinco
Eric Decker

In the early 2000s, there was Bert Emanuel, JJ Stokes and a couple other 30-year-olds on their way down who totally face-planted.

I'm just relieved nobody has me on their list

...yet?
1. Babe Laufenberg
2. Ray Lewis (killed 2 guys)
3. Jete
4. Actual Pats Fan

Wait, what was the question?

My list starts with TONY EASON. Soft QB selected in the same draft as Dan Marino, actually earlier in the draft than Marino! He came in and told Grogan who was tough as nails that he shouldn’t try so hard because he won’t be able to play tennis after his football career was over.
#2 Irving Fryar - total knucklehead who under performed his talent and was a never ending source of distractions.
#3 Easley - total waste of a first round draft pick. His medical report should have taken him off the Pats list. Unfortunately, BB thought this was a gamble worth taking. It wasn’t.
#4 Jordan Richards BB liked his football intelligence and thought he’d be like a coach on the field. He was if you consider he had Charlie Weiss’ Athleticism. His presence on the roster undermines the concept that every player is judged by their ability to contribute rather than their draft order. If he had been a 7th rounder (where he should have been drafted,) there is no way he would still be on the team.

There are others over the years, but I’ve picked the ones that have pissed me off the most.

My list starts with TONY EASON. Soft QB selected in the same draft as Dan Marino, actually earlier in the draft than Marino! He came in and told Grogan who was tough as nails that he shouldn’t try so hard because he won’t be able to play tennis after his football career was over.
Tony, personally, didn't bother me; he seems like a good guy.

And although Raymond Berry came up with several highly effective innovations (including daily fumble recovery drills and positive psychological meetings), plus his leadership and the respect he had from the players, his blindness to Eason's obvious existence as a sack/interception machine torpedoed our chances, especially in SBXX, the '86 playoffs and down the stretch in '88.

We will never know how far we'd have made it if Eason were on the bench where he belonged those three years, watching the far superior QB giving us a chance to win.
#2 Irving Fryar - total knucklehead who under performed his talent and was a never ending source of distractions.
He did have a couple [as in two] episodes, but besides that Irving played very, very well for us.

He was a major reason we were competitive from '84-'88; and Parcells was pissed we didn't keep him here. Tuna was proven right, as Irving then went on to four more pro bowls without incident.

Zeke Mowatt - if you don't know why, just Google the 90 Patriots and Lisa Olsen.
Zeke Mowatt being a ****head--->Kraft buying Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium--->Kraft not letting Orthwein out of his stadium lease to move the team to St. Louis--->Kraft buying the team and hiring Parcells--->Kraft getting to know Belichick in '96--->Belichick becoming the coach in '00.

Just saying......
No doubt. The results of that ****storm definitely worked out for the best.
This is the popular (Jerry Thornton) diatribe which has zero basis in reality.

First, it was Raymond Berry who benched, and then cut, Doug Flutie, destroying any chance of our competitiveness for those years.

The Sullivans' financial collapse was years in the making prior. Kiam missed the deadline on all his inherited debts, which Orthwein paid off when he bought the team. The league did not force it; it merely stated that doing so would enhance Orthwein's chances of having a franchise in his hometown of St. Louis. And if Orthwein didn't deal with the debt, no one else would.

What the league, and the media did do is what they have always done since the 1970 merger: denigrate and dump on the Patriots. Orthwein, and everybody else, were correct that the Patriots franchise was indeed ridiculed -- by the league, and by the media - they left that part out.

Which brings us to the nonsensical fantasy that Zeke Mowatt - a Super Bowl winner whom Parcells later vouched for - spontaneously sexually harassed a female reporter in the locker room.

The league investigation led by Philip Heymann [think Ted Wells] concluded that the entire incident could have been avoided, had it been handled properly. So, in other words, there was in fact a problem, and Lisa Olson was not some random female picked out from a haystack for an attack. Olson was, in fact, not like the hundreds of other females in and around the Patriots' locker room for decades prior, including Gayle (Granik) Gardner in 1976.

One does not have to be a scantily clad professional athlete in a locker room, to be extremely and justifiably bothered, irritated, and even outraged when being ogled. Now, the perpetrator's behavior is not necessarily deliberate or malicious or even lecherous, and one may not even be conscious of it. But it's there and it's real, and after management failed to deal with it (her) some players took matters into their own hands-literally, apparently. Definitely not something to be proud of...but when Olson decided to play the innocent, abused, "mind-raped" victim, the press and the league ran with it like, well, like "SpyGate" and "DeflateGate". Never once has Olson taken any responsibility or been held accountable, nor has anyone explained how she managed to see all the "abusive behavior being directed at her" which she described in detail (behind her back?) while simultaneously doing her job, that is, writing.

Kraft kept the lease, but not because of league ridicule. Orthwein hired Parcells, after Orthwein (alone) commissioned the league to do the makeover. Kraft decided to buy the team on January 2, 1994 after he and his sons attended the Patriots' 33-27 overtime win-their fourth straight to finish the season, which eliminated the Dolphins from the playoffs. Parcells' decision to go to the Jets - which he made in the fall - and his absence on the team plane enabled Kraft and Belichick to sit together and get to know each other on the flight home from SBXXXI.

I had a serious dislike for Tony Eason. For me he is on RushLESS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes