PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Money and cap considerations: another year of Brady or ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that, and if they go with Stidham, they have no chance. None. Like I said, Brady was a once in a lifetime thing. Based his college performance, he was drafted too low and 2001 was lightening in a bottle. Stidham would have big, big growing pains even with a better supporting cast. Who else is out there? Bridge water? He’ll cost 15 million next year. So a savings of about 10 over a Brady contract. That’s one very good but not elite receiver.

No chance with Stidham? You might be right, but unless you’ve had access to their practices, how would you have any idea? Could Stidham be as good as Brady was in 2001? It’s certainly not out of the realm of possibility....

No chance with Stidham? You might be right, but unless you’ve had access to their practices, how would you have any idea? Could Stidham be as good as Brady was in 2001? It’s certainly not out of the realm of possibility....
Yes, anything is possible, but from the time Brady stepped on the field in 2001, it looked like understood defenses and could see the play develop before it developed. When, people say Stidham, might be as good as 2001 Brady, I don’t think they understand what we’ve been witnessing with Brady from the very beginning. How rare this has all been.

Yes, anything is possible, but from the time Brady stepped on the field in 2001, it looked like understood defenses and could see the play develop before it developed. When, people say Stidham, might be as good as 2001 Brady, I don’t think they understand what we’ve been witnessing with Brady from the very beginning. How rare this has all been.
Fans that never recognized/appreciated his gift will realize it soon enough

03 to 16 Brady is rare. Greatest QB play ever, no doubt. But they won twice (01 & 17) with Brady as more of a game manager & they can find someone else to fill that role.

I'd also be interested in what Jonathon Kraft's thoughts are on these issues, and his idea of where he wants to go with the team. Let's not forget that prosecutors down to Flor-i-duh have dropped any pretense to a misdemeanor plea and are now talking felony count(s) against Robert Kraft. They want a scalp, and his is the biggest, plus if they win they get bragging rights, yadda yadda yadda. What that means is that daddy might be going to prison, and that leaves Jonathon in charge. Maybe permanently.

So the owner's thoughts are really what will be driving the draft, resignings, trades, etc. Robert Kraft always wanted awinning program. Jonathon might be more interested in a tax write-off.

So yeah, it's time to contemplate the team post-Brady, and perhaps even post Belichick. But that has to start with what the owner wants. Sigh. :(

The prosecutors in Florida are going to be left holding an empty bag.

how does Brady's contract extension from august play into this? Would he be cut or is there something I'm missing?
It's going to be automatically voided.

I get that, and if they go with Stidham, they have no chance. None. Like I said, Brady was a once in a lifetime thing. Based his college performance, he was drafted too low and 2001 was lightening in a bottle. Stidham would have big, big growing pains even with a better supporting cast. Who else is out there? Bridge water? He’ll cost 15 million next year. So a savings of about 10 over a Brady contract. That’s one very good but not elite receiver.
Because of course no other QB in the history of the NFL has ever won.

What I'm suggesting is that even $20 million, which would mean a pay cut for Brady, is too much. The Patriots might not be able to afford Brady AND build a strong enough roster to contend for the playoffs in 2020.

$20m is too much? Brissett got almost $30m per year.......

I think you need to survey the QBs salaries and figure out where Brady is good value. And trying to go for draft is a proven crapshoot with no guarantee. Same with Stidham.

Stop comparing our cap space to teams like Chiefs and Ravens who have superstar QBs on rookie deals. Once they put these guys on $40m per year contracts, then we’ll see how their cap space looks.

And ofcourse every team wants to find that NFL MVP QB on a rookie contract like Chiefs and Ravens did. But clearly most teams don’t find that guy. Draft is a crapshoot.

Not the smartest move financially or for the future of the team, but I'm paying Brady until he decides to retire.

It is the smartest move financially when he delivers another championship.

03 to 16 Brady is rare. Greatest QB play ever, no doubt. But they won twice (01 & 17) with Brady as more of a game manager & they can find someone else to fill that role.

What?!?!? You think any random “game manager” ala Alex Smith could deliver the Raiders snow game and could have delivered the last minute drive in 2001 SB?!?! You think any random game manager could have gone to Arrowhead and delivered the win last year’s AFCCG?!?! And another GWD after Chiefs took the lead late. Anyone could have delivered the TD drive in the SB with BB highlighting the touch throw to Gronk has one of the plays of Brady’s career?!?

Dude, come on. ************. Holy Smokes.

All you guys are spoilt by Brady’s extraordinary exploits and will chew your words when his successor makes mistakes that “normal” elite QBs like Manning, Rodgers, Roetherlisberger, Brees make ALL the time and that’s IF we find an elite QB which only a quarter of teams have.

“Familiarity breeds contempt”

In the twilight of his career #12 has been showing diminishing capabilities for a while now, it is time to either tender him at a reasonable number or move on.

I do not see him ever playing for another team, he will forever be linked to the NEP in some sort of capacity.. the Kraft family know who brought this franchise to prominence/a very healthy bottom line and will take care of him. Brady will be long associated with the New England Patriots in some way.

Also not convinced that McDaniels/Caserio are going anywhere, BB knows that his days are short also and he does not want to leave gaping holes in the current administrative structure..

There is nothing at all to back this up.

Hence, the word “guessing.”

Let’s just say it’s a hunch based on: 1) no extension, 2) relative value of a 43 y/o QB; 3) 4 straight years of declining QBR, 4) changing nature of the position and game, 5) injuries taking their toll, 6) video of BB and TB awkward interaction, 7) Brady financial/personal moves, 8) Stidham’s presence, 9) gossip, innuendo and speculation, 10) other factors.

Hence, the word “guessing.”

Let’s just say it’s a hunch based on: 1) no extension, 2) relative value of a 43 y/o QB; 3) 4 straight years of declining QBR, 4) changing nature of the position and game, 5) injuries taking their toll, 6) video of BB and TB awkward interaction, 7) Brady financial/personal moves, 8) Stidham’s presence, 9) gossip, innuendo and speculation, 10) other factors.
Awkward videos?

BB is awkward with everyone.

I don't think it's worth it to read into anything else except Tom had a down year, he'll be 43, a FA and the team needs to maximize 2020 cap space to fill out the roster as there will be defections and the need to get better in some areas.

That's all you really need to determine it's not a sure thing he's back here in 2020.

Team will clearly look different next year as they will be losing several players due to age, contracts and cap. Hopefully they already have the players on the roster ready to step up like Winovich, Williams, Bentley, Harris, Froholdt and Cajuste. I'd like to see Brady back for one more year and would give an incentive laden contract.

Am not a believer in tanking or a major rebuild as it rarely works. The Ravens were expected to take a major step back on defense when they lost Mosley and Suggs but actually got better. Add in the unexpected improvement of LJ and they are Super Bowl favorites.

All you guys are spoilt by Brady’s extraordinary exploits and will chew your words when his successor makes mistakes that “normal” elite QBs like Manning, Rodgers, Roetherlisberger, Brees make ALL the time and that’s IF we find an elite QB which only a quarter of teams have.
Yeah, it is funny that on a forum where the QBs you mentioned (as well as Mahomes, Ryan, Wilson, et. al.) are routinely mocked for their decision making, performance in big games, playing in a dome (ok that one's fair), for having too much talent around them, whatever it is...that somehow that same forum, or at least a decent segment of it, has whipped itself into a frenzy where Brady is hot garbage and basically can be replaced by ANYBODY and the dynasty will just continue because it will.

I don't actually believe that tons of Patriot fans would be upset if the team drafted/developed someone who performed at the same level as Aaron Rodgers since 2008. It would be a remarkable find. But Rodgers is also regarded as a loser and perhaps the most overrated player in league history thru the PatsFans prism. I don't quite know how to reconcile that.

$20m is too much? Brissett got almost $30m per year.......

I think you need to survey the QBs salaries and figure out where Brady is good value. And trying to go for draft is a proven crapshoot with no guarantee. Same with Stidham.

Stop comparing our cap space to teams like Chiefs and Ravens who have superstar QBs on rookie deals. Once they put these guys on $40m per year contracts, then we’ll see how their cap space looks.

And ofcourse every team wants to find that NFL MVP QB on a rookie contract like Chiefs and Ravens did. But clearly most teams don’t find that guy. Draft is a crapshoot.
It is the smartest move financially when he delivers another championship.
What?!?!? You think any random “game manager” ala Alex Smith could deliver the Raiders snow game and could have delivered the last minute drive in 2001 SB?!?! You think any random game manager could have gone to Arrowhead and delivered the win last year’s AFCCG?!?! And another GWD after Chiefs took the lead late. Anyone could have delivered the TD drive in the SB with BB highlighting the touch throw to Gronk has one of the plays of Brady’s career?!?

Biffins, like you I've been a Brady loyalist for 19 years but he simply cannot carry this team on his back like he used to. He's human -- he's not the same guy he was last year and will be even less of his "old self" next year. You accuse others here of being "spoilt by Brady’s extraordinary exploits," but perhaps you've been blinded by them. For him to succeed in 2020 the offense must be retooled significantly and the defense must be maintained at its current level of performance. Both prospects primarily hinge on what happens in free agency and the Patriots are comparatively shorthanded with what they have to spend. Again, I'm only talking about 2020, what it will take for New England to build a competitive roster NEXT YEAR. Considering available cap space vs. what other teams have at their disposal is just reality.

I will admit, I trust belichick on this 100%.

Yup. The GOAT. Fair enough but do you think he’s that player anymore? I don’t see it. He is still a good NFL QB, but he’s not where he was even two or three years ago. He’s breaking down physically, which happens to everyone at that age, even someone as health/exercise diligent as Brady. Do you think he’ll be an elite QB next year when he’s 43? If so, why?

I really wish Brady would be happy with 15 mil a year. But there’s no chance in hell of that and frankly if he accepted that the Union would probably kill him over it.

It’s a crappy situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back