PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Minkah Fitzpatrick available...if the price is right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure that I follow. He had a strong rookie year and at the beginning of the off-season was thought to be one of their building blocks for the future. It sounds as though Flores and the coaching staff perhaps put too much on his plate. And when you say that his deficiencies are “now are more regularly exposed” are you talking about week 1 of this season, because it does not sound like he was exposed regularly during his rookie year?

The Flores designed defense just gave up 59 points, 325 yards passing and 5 passing TDs to a team led by a quarterback who averaged fewer than 180 yards passing per game last year during his 7 games as a starter. During those seven games, Jackson threw a total of six passing TDs. How do we know that Belichick did not hide a lot of Flores’ deficiencies, which were exposed week 1? That is not fair to Flores but it is similarly unfair to seemingly dismiss Fitzpatrick as a first round mistake based upon one horrific game playing in a new system for a team that is a dumpster fire right now. It is very possible that Belichick would handle Fitzpatrick very differently.

For a lot of reasons it likely won’t happen but talking about at a minimum serves as a brief diversion from the Antonio Brown.

Do you want a short answer or long answer?

Loved him as a player coming out of Alabama but I’m not sure why people think he would fit here if he’s not fitting in with Flores.

Can Dante coach him up to play O-line? :D

He's what Duke Dawson was supposed to be.

Can’t manage the responsibilities of his position this year... for a coach who ran the NE D last year ?

And BB would want him?

Is he short and slow... qualities desired for most NE 2nd round assets

Can he rush the passer???

Y’all smokin! If he’s available (at a reasonable cost) I want him on the team. Young, cheap, talented, smart, versatile & healthy. Our current safeties won’t be young forever.

Loved him as a player coming out of Alabama but I’m not sure why people think he would fit here if he’s not fitting in with Flores.

Belichick’s multiple coaching tree failures say hi. After the Dolphins week 1 debacle, I think it is fair to wonder whether Flores really played a major role in the improvement of the patriots defense late in the year and in the playoffs, or whether it was all/mostly Belichick. I remember reading an article about the Amoeba defense and one of the defensive players commented about how involved BB was with strategy and game planning, compared with prior years.

We won’t know the answer about Flores for another two years but regardless, the fact that Flores may not be high on Fitzpatrick does not mean that he is utilizing him correctly or utilizing him in the same manner that the Hoodie would. On the other hand they almost certainly watched Dolphins film together last year and if BB was raving about Fitzpatrick and his potential, that probably would have made an impact on Flores.

PS. Based upon all the stories that I have read, BB was not upset at Flores for signing on with a division “rival” and taking some of his assistants with him.
Maybe he felt that Flores was ready and this was an opportunity that he could not pass up.

Alternatively, he may have told Flores that he was not ready but Flores felt that this was an opportunity that he could not pass up, especially financially, for family security.

Or maybe, just maybe, BB thought that Flores was not ready and was confident that he would fail and still encouraged him to take the job ( or at least did not discourage him). That would be an obvious win for the Patriots on the field for the next 2+ years but Flores would still have the same financial security and would find himself employed once again in the league, possibly as a DC, after being fired in Miami. Or maybe I’m just projecting because that is something that I would do in BB’s position.

Belichick’s multiple coaching tree failures say hi. After the Dolphins week 1 debacle, I think it is fair to wonder whether Flores really had a major role in the improvement of the patriots defense late in the year and in the playoffs. In fact, I remember reading an article about the Amoeba defense and one of the defensive players commented about how involved BB was with strategy and game planning, compared with prior years.

We won’t know the answer about Flores for another two years but regardless, the fact that Flores may not be high on Fitzpatrick does not mean that he is utilizing him correctly or utilizing him in the same manner that the Hoodie would. On the other hand they almost certainly watched Dolphins film together last year and if BB was raving about Fitzpatrick and his potential, that probably would have made an impact on Flores.

PS. Based upon all the stories that I have read, BB was not upset at Flores for signing on with a division “rival” and taking some of his assistants with him.
Maybe he felt that Flores was ready and this was an opportunity that he could not pass up.

Alternatively, he may have told him that he was not ready but Flores felt that this was an opportunity that he could not pass up, especially financially for family security.

Or maybe, just maybe, BB thought that Flores was not ready and was confident that he would fail and still encouraged him to take the job ( or at least did not discourage him). That would be an obvious win for the Patriots on the field but Flores would still have the same financial security and would find himself employed once again in the league, possibly as a DC, after being fired in Miami. or maybe I’m just projecting because that something that I would do in BB’s position.
You certainly are full of maybes and maybe full of something else.

He's what Duke Dawson was supposed to be.
Some context here?

Are we comparing a mid 2nd round guy to a mid 1st round guy?

Y’all smokin! If he’s available (at a reasonable cost) I want him on the team. Young, cheap, talented, smart, versatile & healthy. Our current safeties won’t be young forever.

He doesnt want to be versatile and he doesn't want to be a safety. He wants to be strictly a slot CB. Which the Pats just signed their slot CB to an extension

Joy, compassion and humility?

Of course they are all maybes because all we can do is speculate.....unless you have some inside information that you would like to share. I’m just saying the argument that Fitzpatrick would fail here with BB because things are not working out with Flores as his HC, after a successful rookie season under a different coaching staff, is a load of something else.

Giving up 32 for Fitzpatrick wouldn't be dumb imo.

Isn’t that the whole point of this forum? To offer our opinions, often in the form of speculation?

If we couldn’t speculate on things that are uncertain then this forum wouldn’t exist. That’s kind of the whole point: to offer our personal analyses and discuss.

I think PGF4 has offered a thoughtful analysis. That doesn’t mean he’s necessarily right, but he’s certainly contributed to the discussion in a meaningful way and given me some food for thought. And he has done so in a way that’s respectful of others’ opinions.

This thread is a breath of fresh air after the incessant Brown chatter over the past 48 hours.

Joy, compassion and humility?

Of course they are all maybes because all we can do is speculate.....unless you have some inside information that you would like to share. I’m just saying the argument that Fitzpatrick would fail here with BB because things are not working out with Flores as his HC, after a successful rookie season under a different coaching staff, is a load of something else.
Read the post above yours for edification.

Isn’t that the whole point of this forum? To offer our opinions, often in the form of speculation?

If we couldn’t speculate on things that are uncertain then this forum wouldn’t exist. That’s kind of the whole point: to offer our personal analyses and discuss.

I think PGF4 has offered a thoughtful analysis. That doesn’t mean he’s necessarily right, but he’s certainly contributed to the discussion in a meaningful way and given me some food for thought. And he has done so in a way that’s respectful of others’ opinions.

This thread is a breath of fresh air after the incessant Brown chatter over the past 48 hours.
Sure but there was maybe an extra layer of disingenuousness that maybe sent me over the edge. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes